Up Date Your 388 Hustler

Notices

Up Date Your 388 Hustler

Old 12-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Up Date Your 388 Hustler

I have had a few problems with stuff on the boat ,minor But they have redesigned some things I am posting this to help other 388 Hustler owners that might not know about this. I hope you may have found something that I have not found yet? I hope you will Reciprocate?

The first is the Lights up front in the bow. The lights in the ceiling. The lenses fall off and the light bulbs go out.On installing them do not touch the bulb. halogen bulbs , Remember they get hot The new redesigned lights the lenses do not fall off The bezels are thicker,the new glass makes it brighter . and the body is better. there is a spacer that comes with it .In certain areas you use it . also watch the new screws are a deferent length.i used a blue butt connectors on the wire and when you put it all back together watch the screws and make sure they don't go thru the wires ,short /fire .Badd!

I hope this helps, I am not to good on giving instructions ,so improvise

The new lite is on the right , You can get them from Hustler or direct . I have the company name and phone # if ya want ? there about the same price on them 7to $8.00

the light co name is ITC the part # is 81290-w.
phone 1-888-871-8860
1-616-396-1355
itc-rv.com or itc-marine.com
ask for rhonda in tech , she is real helpfull. also ask for there lighting cataloge .free. it has other stuff in there also.I told them I had a prob with the old style and they sent me some of the old style to try free. So I have a bunch of extras .i thought about adding some extras in the bildge

I noticed on LMarth boat he have the older model and they are thicker . the new version are flush and in 2002-3 they up dated to the part # above . LMarth said he did not have any probs with his style i guess when they went to the flush one they had the probs.
Attached Thumbnails Up Date Your 388 Hustler-hustler-up-date-alter-007.jpg   Up Date Your 388 Hustler-hustler-up-date-alter-008.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 12-14-2004 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Default Re: Up Date Your 388 Hustler

This one is on the water system . The pump thats behind the electrical panel . The pump is mounted on the buck head and the hose from the water tank connects to it thru the bulk head . The fitting was plastic .Its a Whale name brand piece and a push lock type fitting.

It broke on me and pumped the 13 gallons in the front bilge area[front step] The funny thing about it was, a friend girl went in to use the bathroom and came out and said it there suppose to be watter in the floor? .Yea drunk Blondie . But she looked good enough it was OK Her nick name was Double D's

It takes a while to pump 13 gallons out on the front bilge pump..

Whale makes a new style fitting its made out of brass.They did say they had had problems with a few breaking .I think it was about 8.00. I think Boat US[west marine ] handles that name brand . After it broke I got one from Hustler Then I called Whale and told them what had happened and they sent me 2 for FREE . Its nice when a big company [Whale] takes care of ya

The old broke one is on the right
Attached Thumbnails Up Date Your 388 Hustler-hustler-up-date-alter-009.jpg  

Old 12-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Here is one I am sure yall have had problems with . The white plastic pull latches on all the compartment doors. Most people are not easy on your stuff .Yanking on the doors and letting the hatch doors slam shut breaks them. The little finger pull handles break off .Hustler I think it 2002 or 3 started using the stainless steel ones . They don't blend in as good as the metal ones but they don't break. The new ones come with a different length screw. The panel under the steering wheel took a different length screw also.

When Bill at Hustler was still there in parts, he sold them to me at a fair price . The new price now is double what I paid before . They are high but they don't break.

If we could find out where they git them from it would be about 125% less

Heres a pick of the old and new. Hope this helps yall

Here is the linh to the mfg...http://www.southcoipsg.com/prd/sc_313?LangID=0
Attached Thumbnails Up Date Your 388 Hustler-hustler-up-date-alter-012.jpg  

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 12-24-2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Here is one that may not apply to most .On the vac-u-flush toilet system .The holding tank is called a VHT the pressure safety valve on the top some times starts to leak .the valve is for if the pump creates to much of a vacuum it want pull in the tank [collapse it]This want happen because the pump will only pull 15 inches of vac ,so its over kill. It want hold a vacuum , makes the pump run all the time not letting it hold a vacuum . They redesigned the rubber grommet. The new one is white.also the valve has a rubber type diaphragm that drys out and leaks . they sent me a new valve and grommet and some special grease . it works for about a year then goes back to leaking.

So I asked them if I just took a piece of pvc pipe and put a cap on it and replaced the valve if it would work . It did No vac leaks . I painted it black so it would blend in with the black tank.

I have the manuels and phone #'s to them if ya need it.

When I use to get it pumped out I would push down on the valve to let in air as it was being sucked out . they told me thats not they way your suppose to do it . Your suppose to hold the toilet flush lever open while your getting sucked

You can also put a Mercator pump on it . for pumping out when your the legal distance out offshore .I can take picks of this if anybody is interested .

More info--the valve is called a #385310627 vacuum relief valve kit.New style uni seal.The name of the company is Dometic . there the same as the ac people[Coleman] on my car trailer.

Now the royal thron[potty] is a Sealand. parent co is Tayler Made. I talked to Melody at 1 800 321 9886 ext 204. you can order a owners manual and a operation guild for free.

If you need any plumming parts or hose ,fittings etc.I bought them at AER supply in Seabrook TX .1800-767-7606or 1866-636-7723.they handle the fittings that fit.Sea land name brand. the others i tried leaked I did take out the duck bill .It made it easier to pump out.
Attached Thumbnails Up Date Your 388 Hustler-hustler-up-date-alter-013.jpg  

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 12-14-2004 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob- What an excellent idea for a thread! Why should we all struggle alone dealing with identical problems? I never had any problems with the lites/lenses up front in my 98 Slingshot. I've broken 3-4 of the latching tabs on the white plastic pull latches. Almost all of them broke after I banged off one too many big Great Lakes waves (You come back to the dock and find doors open with broken latches). BoatUS has expensive replacements, $20 for non-locking/$24 for key-locking. How much does Hustler charge for plastic/stainless? I've got two big switches under the rear seat. The batteries are on with the switches @ 12:00 o'clock and off when @ 6:00. There's also a 9:00 position. I'm sure there's more choices than on/off. What am I missing? I've got some other questions for you the next time we talk. Still waiting for DVD. Just got 2003 & 2004 vhs tapes of NYC Poker Runs that are really excellent.
Lou
Old 12-14-2004, 01:39 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lmarth
Rob- What an excellent idea for a thread! Why should we all struggle alone dealing with identical problems? I never had any problems with the lites/lenses up front in my 98 Slingshot. I've broken 3-4 of the latching tabs on the white plastic pull latches. Almost all of them broke after I banged off one too many big Great Lakes waves (You come back to the dock and find doors open with broken latches). BoatUS has expensive replacements, $20 for non-locking/$24 for key-locking. How much does Hustler charge for plastic/stainless? I've got two big switches under the rear seat. The batteries are on with the switches @ 12:00 o'clock and off when @ 6:00. There's also a 9:00 position. I'm sure there's more choices than on/off. What am I missing? I've got some other questions for you the next time we talk. Still waiting for DVD. Just got 2003 & 2004 vhs tapes of NYC Poker Runs that are really excellent.
Lou
Lou on the latch the new style are stainless steel they come standard on 2002 1/2 and up now. I think they where about 30.00 at Hustler . If ya find out the name brand at Boat us we may be able to find them cheaper

Lou I made a copy of the battery switch paper work. its going to be different . it says don't run the engines with the battery switched on both[2] . has something to do with the ECM's on the 500 efi's causing a problem. they should be the same switch's though.

Ill talk to you on the trim tab cables tomorrow.maybe someone here has already researched what to use?

Also I have heard about some have had problem with the head liner coming loose . anybody got any info on this?

I also have some info on the batter chargers .they have a 5 year warranty.mine caught on fire .They admitted to having a design problem with them . Lou your does not have the splash shield.

Also the engine hatch gasket coming off . They make a spacer for them know.

The auto fire watch [Kidde safety]lite burns out.

I will try to take some pictures when I post some info on these. coming up.

On the Polyplanar 6 1/2 speaker . they are a oddball size They are bigger than a standard 6 1/2 speaker. I had problem with the tweeters burning out . there is a adapter you can find to put the reg 6 1/2 in . I put in MB Quarts 6 1/2.

On The Sony 5 channel amp . My circuit board got a few stress cracks in it so the eq part does not work. I added a bunch more stereo in it also

Old 12-14-2004, 01:44 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Remember all this info is from on my boat a 2001 388 Hustler . So the newer boats may not have some of these problems..

If any of you other Hustler owners have any other info PLEASE add to my post.

I hope this helps some of ya if you had any problems.I wish I had not had to figure this stuff on my own

Rob

Old 12-14-2004, 05:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rob- I'd love to see a picture of the battery splash shield. Is it from Hustler or Charles battery chargers? Never was one on my boat. I've replaced my 2000 Series charger twice and talked to their techs a number of times. I remember pictures of your 'red hot' charger. Yours is I believe the 3000 Series with the cooling fan???? That frikkin gas tank protruding into the engine compartment complicates working back there. A reminder to make sure that the screws holding the horn are tight on the mounting braket so you don't find your horn hanging by the wires as I did. I didn't even know where the horn was. On my Slingshot, It's in the engine compartment on the port side up under the front bulkhead outboard of the trim/tab pumps. Believe me, it's easier to tighten the screws then to reinstall new ones. Two person job-one to hold the horn after removing the grill on the outside of the boat and the other to start the small screws. Lou
Old 12-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rob- Thanks again for posting my pictures in the Hustler Owner's Pictures thread. Just a reminder to keep an eye on the bolts that hold the front motor mounts to the aluminum angle brackets. I could spin the washers on a few of mine.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our battery charger burned up also, the new one came with the shield..from charles ...I'll see if I can find a picture of it.
Great post Rob, we don't have any of those problems yet but good to look out for...
One thing we did have go bad was the water tank filler hose...got a crack by the fitting of the tank...Talk about a pain to change... Tom

Quick Reply: Up Date Your 388 Hustler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.