Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
geico INS on a boat ???? >

geico INS on a boat ????

Notices

geico INS on a boat ????

Old 06-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work in the collision repair industry.. I would not want Geico on my car and sure would not want them on my boat. They half azz repair everything with used and aftermarket parts. Jeff Wurl
Old 06-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Registered

I work for State Farm insurance (used to work auto side, work fire company now) and every insurance company will write for aftermarket (non-OEM) or QRP (quality replacement parts i.e. used OEM parts etc..) for repairs is industry wide, not just Geico. Used boat = used parts if they are available. What was on there was used and not new therefore putting new OEM only on would be putting in better condition than pre loss or betterment. If no QRP of non-OEM are available then they will buy new OEM to get the repairs done (or they should). It is actually written in every policy if you look up the language. The only way to get all new OEM parts is be hit by someone else and be on the liability side of someone else's policy. Since you are not under contract to have to use non-OEM or QRP parts you can fight for it, but they are still going to try and pull the not new parts on there before the loss card but your chances of getting all new are better...
Old 06-16-2013, 03:44 AM
GDM
Registered

Originally Posted by CraneHillFast
I have thought about shopping all my insurance. Who were u with before when u switched. Currently I'm with progressive. So I was wondering who you switched from. I don't want to shop it and start getting calls from tons of insurance agents.
this is a boat I am tryng to buy so I am shopping to Insure it for the first time . I have had geico on many cars but never a boat
Old 06-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This is Seaworthy aka, Boat US, also owns West Marine. All on and the same and owned by a rich fellow in Omaha Neb. - Buffet
You better pay attention to the partial loss portion, whereas Progressive and a couple of others just put new stuff on, there is a depreciation clause in these policy's. It's at 10% a year roughly. I would ask the details on this. There is a formula with a count down on certain parts. So if you have a boat over 6 years old 2007 soon to be 08, you better know up front.

I switched to Progressive and got a better price and better insurance. From what I understand, there are only 3 reps in the country with them that can write anything over 35 foot. I looked at theirs first a year ago and got to the end and it said they will not do anything over 35 foot. This year I found one of the three.

With Gieko I was pumping out over 1900 a year. 1400 at Progressive.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered

SeaWorthy is not the same as BoatUS. I have had a quote wrote up with BoatUS after I got quoted from Geico and the Geico was about 1/2 the price as BoatUS. SeaWorthy is owned by Buffet and his associates. BoatUS is not. My 29 Outlaw with twin 454mags 770 hp total with trailer and $250 deductible on both is $608 a year through Geico.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

So Geico use after market parts made in japan or china.Hell that's were the half the cars are made.I'm insured with them on everything car house boats and cycles.Always had a good result with claims.Now days it's what's the best price JOHN SR
Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have had agents from Allstate, State Farm, Farmers, & Progressive write policies for my vehicles & every one but Progressive came back from the home office that my boat has too much power, 750hp 375hp twins, or stock if you will. Or that the boat is too fast, 70mph for a 34'. The one claim that I had with Progressive they denied because I bought a lower unit @ Loto to save the weekend instead of having the boat in the shop during the shootout. Needless to say I was pizzed. Geico wouldn't even talk to me because I have a past record that they can't charge me for. "couple of DUIs over 12yrs old" I talked to Stacy @ Wakezone & haven't looked back. Just for the record the last ticket I got was over 12 yrs ago so I don't think I am high risk. Randy
Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 AM
Registered

I tried getting insurance from gieco on a single 250 merc outboard scout and was approved. Two days later I receive a call saying I am cancelled. I dont recall what they said exactly but i believe high performance was used. I received full refund then tried progressive who i had a couple cars insured with and the exact same thing happened. Finally got it through Boat US. This was a few years back.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:56 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brapp21
SeaWorthy is not the same as BoatUS. I have had a quote wrote up with BoatUS after I got quoted from Geico and the Geico was about 1/2 the price as BoatUS. SeaWorthy is owned by Buffet and his associates. BoatUS is not. My 29 Outlaw with twin 454mags 770 hp total with trailer and $250 deductible on both is $608 a year through Geico.
I stand partially corrected. - http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/
Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
I have had agents from Allstate, State Farm, Farmers, & Progressive write policies for my vehicles & every one but Progressive came back from the home office that my boat has too much power, 750hp 375hp twins, or stock if you will. Or that the boat is too fast, 70mph for a 34'. The one claim that I had with Progressive they denied because I bought a lower unit @ Loto to save the weekend instead of having the boat in the shop during the shootout. Needless to say I was pizzed. Geico wouldn't even talk to me because I have a past record that they can't charge me for. "couple of DUIs over 12yrs old" I talked to Stacy @ Wakezone & haven't looked back. Just for the record the last ticket I got was over 12 yrs ago so I don't think I am high risk. Randy
I do not know why they gave you such a hard time they wrote my outlaw without any hiccup.

BR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.