Notices

Misc Jaguar photos

Old 08-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Misc Jaguar photos

More photos
Attached Thumbnails Misc Jaguar photos-8-13-06-002a.jpg   Misc Jaguar photos-8-13-06-006a.jpg  
Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

John, Here are a couple of unfortunate photos. A 36 Skater launched off my port stern trying to avoid me after an accident that I had slowed for during the Big Cat run yesterday. There are more pics at hotboat.net of the event and probably 6 0r 8 more shots of my damage. I was proud of the Jag to take a hit like that and have all my crew safe and unhurt. I hope I can post these but if they don't attach you can find them on hotboat.net under the west forum. Look for big cat. Thanks Doug . Your 40 looks great. Sorry John, I can't get the pics to post. Take care. My Jag is done for the season.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My wife and I went for the first long run of this season: Sunday. The more I run this Jag, the better I like it. The water was moderately rough and we cruised in the 70-80 mph range. For the first time we can remember, we didn't feel "beat up" by a boat "pounding thru the waves".

This is the best riding and most solid boat we've ever owned (owned 13 boats). A plus: the canopy-style windshield did a great job keeping our faces from being wind burned. It made the day when my wife said it was a fun run. Maybe she won't give me the "eye" the next time I order parts!
Due

Last edited by Dueclaws; 10-02-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

John, I'm glad you are enjoying the ride. They are a great riding boat. My Jag has a porpoise problem in smooth water at 75 m.p.h. so I never run at that speed. What rpm do you run at 80? Are your drives wet or dry sump? John, when the water gets really rough then you will truely enjoy flying the Jag. Your boat looks great, you should be very proud. Doug
Old 10-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hi Doug-
Thanks for the kudos.

The 40' doesn't porpoise significantly at any speed, but we rarely have smooth water.
The drives are wet sump; thus, (because of drives and transmissions) we lose about 70 hp per engine: engines (at the flywheel) are 800. The drives are 1.5 ratio and the props calculate at 36" pitch. 80 is about 4000 rpm: about 11% slip, which is higher than I'd like. We also get "4 blade" vibration at some rpms.
I'm thinking about sending the props to Brett @ B-Blades during the off season for rework; that may help, but he and my friend Bruce Bullock said that because the drives are mounted fairly high, the boat will most-likely need 5 blade props to remove the vibration and to hook-up better. Merc's new 5 blades are about $7,000.: each.

John

Last edited by Dueclaws; 10-09-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

John, I also have wet 6's and I think over the winter I will send them to Cobra to have them converted. As per Randy's suggestions and since I needed 2 dominators after the wreck, I upgraded to 1250's dominators rather than the 1050's. Just add money and stir. The jag's are a great boat as are most of the modern cat hull built today. The Jag's land so soft after flight that my boat makes me smile, what a good ride. I should get mine back by the end of the month if all goes well, just in time to for one last run and put it away until May. The boat will look slightly different, different scoops and some interior surprises that I have not seen. I'm told I will really like the changes. I'll post when it comes home. Be safe. Doug
Old 10-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Doug-
RE: #6 conversion: Have you compared Weismann (http://www.weismann.net/) and TNT (Tomlinson) to Randy's? ......Just wondering what you get and what's the price from each.

Where did you get your Dominators and are they blower ready? My engine shop said I need to go to larger carbs.
Thanks!
John
Old 10-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Going of memory best I can, TNT is done as Mercury does it to my understanding. I was led to believe the have one or two less nozzels spraying oil inside. Also was led to believe that the internal pump doesn't work in reverse and something to the effect of the way it picks up oil it more like a half dry-sump thatn a full dry. basically there is still some submergsion there.

Was recently imformed that Weismann has :

( stopped working on Merc drives. There is no money in it for us only for Merc. I have sold my tools and tooling to platinum boats, Vern 310-995-1670. I do not know if he will continue to convert them.

I know Colabella and TNT are still converting old style to Merc style wet/dry.

We are concentraiting on our own line of products, Multispeed Transmissions and Drives.

Coming soon,

Pat )

As in a recent comment.

Cougarman
Old 10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cougar-
Good info. Did you install dry sumps on your boat?
If so, what differences did in performance you notice?

TIA
Due
Old 10-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Due,

I love the Jags!!! I remember watching them run here in Michigan for the offshore races in the 80s and it really got me geeked up for offshore

I keep saying that my next boat may be something different than what everyone else has like a cougar or Jag I have had Checkmates, Scarabs, Black Thunders, and Cigarettes

I would really like Bobby Kaisers old "Systems" boat (Yea I know its aluminum ) I talked to Bobby K at a party last year and he says it is over in Florida somewhere

Another friend of mine in Detroit has a 50' Jag
It to is way cool Totally redone and now for sale just out of my price range

What year is your boat ?? It is soooo cool

This is Skater country here and Peter is a friend of mine but i am starting to get nostalgic

Running in lake Michigan you really need a big cat like a Nor Tech 50' ,or a old Ocean Express, or a Jag for everyday running

We put on 100 hours a year in a short boating season on our water (Lots of rough water)

I would Love to see more specs on your boat and more pics

You have a way cool boat my friend

Quick Reply: Misc Jaguar photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.