Keep the 351's or go chevy? >

Keep the 351's or go chevy?

Notices

Keep the 351's or go chevy?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr vinyl
Look on the starboard side rear transom,just below the rub rail.Magnums we numbered from 1968 forward,if it has one that is were you will find it. It will start with MAG 27 then 7 additional #'s ie 0520669 Bud
I just checked again, there is nothing there on my hull. I just looked at the California registration from the former owner for 1990. It just has the 5 digit number
Serial number, 74677.
Year Manufactured 1969
Model year 1970

So it looks like my hull is pre the new numbering system you mentioned.
I know what you are looking at, my Cigarette has that kind of number CRT 282850879

Does this help ?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No.they made 25 plus Sedans in 1969 and they all would have been numbered.My guess is that the vin # was deleted and re titled.The only other place you might find it is written under the dash. Good luck on the rehab. Bud
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr vinyl
No.they made 25 plus Sedans in 1969 and they all would have been numbered.My guess is that the vin # was deleted and re titled.The only other place you might find it is written under the dash. Good luck on the rehab. Bud
The transom numbering system didn't start until '73 or '74....have you seen otherwise?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 24degrees
The transom numbering system didn't start until '73 or '74....have you seen otherwise?
My 1973 Sport did not have a transom number, it only had a shorten version of the serial number under the dash using a marker.

Thank you
Jim
Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered

Both of my 1973 Sedan's had HIN numbers. I had a 1970 w/twin H &M 302" Fords and Volvo drives. The red sedan I purchased doe's have and numbers anywhere on the boat, guess I'm SOL trying to figure out what year it is. I believe tha HIN started in NOV. '72.. "HIGH LIFE"
Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You are right.vin #'s did not start on the transom until 72-73,they were sometimes on the console or hidden.It could be #46 Hannah DeJong,keel laid or sold 4/23/69 or a Coast Guard boat #67 keel laid or sold on 7/3/69

Brownie any reason they did not put vin#'s on the boats, since they started numbering with PattyLou...J.Negler boat? Bud

Last edited by mr vinyl; 03-26-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered

I just checked thee insturment pod where the gauge panel goes, and there is nothing written inside.

Is the number I have not a good number?

When I bought the boat, October 23, 1991, I tried researching the ownership trail and found 3 owners prior to me, probably a total of only 8 to 10 years leaving 10 years unaccounted for

The previous nearly a year, before that a family had it 8 or so years, and I only knew of a couple of gentlemen who had it before that, and I don't know for how long. Boats and cars during the 70's gas crissis changed a lot of hands cheep. I was never able to get information any farther back including a call to Magnum who explained all the records during the Apeco era were gone.

How do I post a picture here? I will send one of the new dash pod and one of the boat on the trailer.

I was just in the boat.......what a nightmare! I haven't been inside her in years ...... and it will be a total rebuild. Not sure if I can even save the new upholstery, the frame work is all going bad.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

If you have a valid title you are ok,we were just trying to help you get a better handel on the boat.Posting pictures are not that hard,they just have be e-mail size and you have to be a member of OSO. Good luck. Bud
Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crallscars,

Back to your original question . . . IF the Crusaders are Ford . . .
although not original, I suggest switching to Chevy power.

From my own experience . . I built a 400HP 302 SBF for my 1969 Donzi . . there's nothing available for the Ford sb engines as a marine application. My CMI headers took 8 months to get, cam was custom grind, and everything else was complex.

On the flip side I'm building two new 383 cu in SB Chevies for my 27 Magnum, using new Dart blocks, Eagle forged cranks and rods, AFR Aluminum heads and an off the shelf Comp cam . .
so much easier . . . and far less expensive.

that said, if your boat needs a new transom, consider switching to one big block with a blower . . .and really make it fly . . there's lots of single BBC Magnum 27s.
There's a thread here on the "three man" repower and rebuild that has lots of good info.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mario L.
Crallscars,

Back to your original question . . . IF the Crusaders are Ford . . .
although not original, I suggest switching to Chevy power.

From my own experience . . I built a 400HP 302 SBF for my 1969 Donzi . . there's nothing available for the Ford sb engines as a marine application. My CMI headers took 8 months to get, cam was custom grind, and everything else was complex.

On the flip side I'm building two new 383 cu in SB Chevies for my 27 Magnum, using new Dart blocks, Eagle forged cranks and rods, AFR Aluminum heads and an off the shelf Comp cam . .
so much easier . . . and far less expensive.

that said, if your boat needs a new transom, consider switching to one big block with a blower . . .and really make it fly . . there's lots of single BBC Magnum 27s.
There's a thread here on the "three man" repower and rebuild that has lots of good info.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Mario,

Thanks for the engine suggestions, I haven't started my 351's in a very long time, close to 18 years. If they are still good, I will probably go with them. They are pretty much stock 351 high performance engines with Edlbrock Performer 351 intakes and some kind of single pump Holley carbs. The former swapped out the cams to what I don't know, there was a bit of a lope to them. I have twin 450/ 454's in my 28 Cigarette and its far too crowded. I would only consider SBC's for the Magnum if I had to make the change.

Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.