Notices

Rare Breed

Old 10-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rare Breed

I was wondering if anybody could tell me about a MTI named Rare Breed. Would this make a good pleasure boat for lake use and an occasional poker run?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I was wondering if anybody could tell me about a MTI named Rare Breed. Would this make a good pleasure boat for lake use and an occasional poker run?
That's what Mac used it for beautiful boat hated to see it leave our pond.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
It's a 44 with the Poker Run cockpit, 1100 KEs, BPM drives and rudder. IMO you'd need a BIG lake for that boat;

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o32327-en.html

The price has just been reduced from $249k to $199k. If I had the money it would be mine. I have the pic of it in front of Pier 57 as my wallpaper. I love the green carbon fiber dash, and whoever painted the horse heads is awesome! One of the most beautiful MTIs ever painted. I think the owner has some health issues forcing the sale. Helluva a deal for someone...

Last edited by Catmando; 10-23-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Registered

It knows how to do poker runs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsW_uLKOXfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Qh3...eature=related

It is a beautiful boat. Sadly, the boat in pieces is worth more than what the asking price is for the boat. If you want to take 10 people on a poker run and run 120 mph it can do it. Mac, the owner when I got to ride on it would be happy to answer questions. I rode in it a fair amount and drove it some. As a rudder boat, it is not real friendly below 50 mph and you have to dock it like a twin engine crusier, but above 50 mph it is a great running boat. The horsepower rating of the engines is also a little on the high side (actual is closer to 950 from what I heard). It runs real good for a boat with this horsepower.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Registered

Been on the boat and it is a steal for that price. I'll give it a month and it will be sold.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Banned

The boat appears to have been for sale for 4 years, as I believe it has been a single owner boat. In a post I found here, it says the boat was built for a Frank Alleguer, but it looks like it was owned by Mac. ?? I was wondering if it were the surface drives vs #6 or the fact that it is the older body style that has kept it from selling. Are those BPM drives reliable? How hard is this type of drive to steer? The boat looks great in the pictures and I am supposed to go over to Pier 57 in mid November for a demo, but a very trusted friend of mine here on OSO doesn't think it would be a good choice for me. He thinks the boat would not be responsive enough for me and maybe underpowered for it's size. Any ideas?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rudder boats handle like they are on rails and turns like a go cart. The biggest problem you will have with the responsiveness is hurting people as they fly against the gunwales when you turn it at speed. (been there, done that) They wander from side to side between about 30 and 50 but as soon as you pack a little air it starts to run fine, from 60 to 130 it will turn better than any other cat, or V for that matter. My buddy's has a slight bit more than 1000 per side (dyno) and runs out of prop at 132. There is probably another 10 MPH in it if we can find the right prop. It cruises at 100 mph and is very happy at slightly over 4000 rpm. It also rides really flat, rarely lifts the nose, and is very stable. His broke a BPM shaft at about 300 hours and both were replaced, no other problems with the drives. let me know if you have any other questions, he does not come on here.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Registered

"Mac" was the second owner. He traded it to Pier 57 for a six seat 42 MTI with Merc 1200's (White Recovery boat, now called Nail It).

Rare Breed has BPM drives. I agree with everything Ted G said about this type of boat.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was the second owner of Rare Breed, Ted G could not have described the character of how these boats handle any better. It is a good boat and great for hauling lots of peole in. My oldest daughter was in college at the time I owned it, not unusal for us to have 10 people on the boat. The boat has 2 big cuddy cabins, a nice stereo. Docking was not a problem , just remember you dont use the steering wheel, you do everything with the shifters. The rigging on the boat was impecable, Gary Stray of Super Cat Rigging did it. Trust me the orginal owner spared no expense having the boat built.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Boat looks mint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.