nordic vs sonic

Notices

nordic vs sonic

Old 09-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
A side by side 525 35 Fountain has run up to 92mph I believe, honest 90. The staggered ones run 100+ with the right load and conditions. Just clearing up speed numbers.
I just took a ride in a 2008 35 fountain with staggered 525's. With a half a tank of fuel, and three people on board, the best we could do was 91 mph. Hard for me to believe that there was another 9 or 10 mph lurking in there somewhere. This setup was how it was delivered from fountain.. we tried all sorts of trim tab angles and drive trim over the period of about an hour. 91 was the best we could manage.

I did like the way it rode over the water though.

Chris
Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

A side by side 525 35 Fountain has run up to 92mph I believe, honest 90. The staggered ones run 100+ with the right load and conditions. Just clearing up speed numbers.
Thanks Dan (Ken?), this is just my point. A practical 2 mph difference between steps on the "marketed" fastest hull vs. a high quality conventional hull.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
Steve...the step/non-step is kinda like politics and religion...hard to change anyones mind!!

I know Reggie says 100 with 525s but I'll take real world info before Reggie, this from a Lightning owner:

I'm not sure sure everybody on here is a performance junkie either. Plenty of Cafe, Apache, Pantera, PP, conv Top Gun, et al. owners having tons of fun with their old technology boats.

And yes I believe that much of the step claims are marketing and profit driven.

Forums like this are replete with stories of accidents due to improper use of stepped hulls, they aren't for the novice boater and there are now courses on how to drive these things properly due to the many incidents. Teague and Tomlinson are at the top of the heap here and can drive the shorts off of just about anybody, but that doesn't eliminate the potential for issues with less experienced drivers.

The PP accident you referenced was a result of irresponsible driving in shallow waters not quirky handling characteristics.

I believe that high tech materials and newer laminating techniques resulting in lighter boats has much to do with increased speeds too as you referenced in your power to weight ratio comment.

In the end you like what you like, I like what I like, and that's that. I'm glad you like your Nordic, it's a fine boat for sure...in fact I think you own the boat that I ordered and Nordic F'd up by not following my color/pattern choices.

So if we're ever on the same body of water, wave as you go by...I'll be the pokey one in the old fashioned boat.
Indy,
If you ever get to Nashville, look me up. You are welcome to drive "your" old boat if you want to. I'll think you'll find it's plenty exciting. BTW, I love the colors as do most people. If this isn't what you ordered, what did you order?
Who was the dealer?
I bought it from a guy in Cincinatti in Dec '03.
Regards,
Steve
Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Indy,
If you ever get to Nashville, look me up. You are welcome to drive "your" old boat if you want to. I'll think you'll find it's plenty exciting. BTW, I love the colors as do most people. If this isn't what you ordered, what did you order?
Who was the dealer?
I bought from a guy in Cincinatti in Dec '03.
Regards,
Steve
The colors I ordered were correct, but they reversed the colors on the flag! When I went to the Nordic factory to check it out I said there must have been an error, the colors were reversed. They said nope, that's what I ordered. Then I had them pull the color sheet that I sent to them and they saw that there was a mistake. They had a buyer from Cinci that loved it and he bought it with the 575 package and they built me another hull with the correct color pattern. The boat is beautiful no doubt, I just wanted the purple as the primary color on the flag.

I'm sure your boat is plenty fast too!!! It would probably blow what little hair I have left right off my head!! Have fun and be safe.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Registered

Thanks Dan (Ken?), this is just my point. A practical 2 mph difference between steps on the "marketed" fastest hull vs. a high quality conventional hull.

Staggered- is/are offset engine mounts

Steps are in the bottom of the hull

I believe CB is pointing out he doesn't think there is 9-10 to be gained in staggering the engine mounts (which eats up space in the boat) as another poster claimed.

UD
Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Staggered- is/are offset engine mounts

Steps are in the bottom of the hull

I believe CB is pointing out he doesn't think there is 9-10 to be gained in staggering the engine mounts (which eats up space in the boat) as another poster claimed.

UD
I know what staggered is I was referencing fountain40icbm's statement that the Fountain 35 side-by-side was an honest 90, just a couple of mph faster than my buddy's 33 525 PP which is also side-by-side.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered

I know what staggered is I was referencing fountain40icbm's statement that the Fountain 35 side-by-side was an honest 90, just a couple of mph faster than my buddy's 33 525 PP which is also side-by-side.
My bad then, it seemed the "attributes of speed" changed mid thread.

Its amazing the Nordic guys blew the paint scheme you laid out. Never ever heard of that happening, but with gelcoat upside down and backwards is easier to make that mistake than with paint.

Between the 2 Id pick the Nordic.

That said I think sonic makes a nice solid rig.

(aside from the aesthetics of backwards arches with no radar or speakers in them, and the swimstep that looks like an upside down lawn chair bolted to the hull)

I wouldnt make a purchase decision either way based on a stepped hull(but would staggereds) Multitudinous 3rd party testing shows steps faster between 1 and 5MPH with identical power.

(if anyone has better data than what I posted Id love to see it)

Maybe Pantera succumbed to marketing hype, but Jo himself states a marked gain and no handling deterioration. Pantera is not my pet brand, but those guys seem pretty solid and straightforward to me.

UD
Old 09-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Its Dan here Indy. Im a staggered step bottom/Cat guy so im not going to put my input here.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Its Dan here Indy. Im a staggered step bottom/Cat guy so im not going to put my input here.
Is the Glad gone? That was one beautiful boat!! Saw you guys at the NYC poker run going out in your Sutphen...we got there late and got to see the last boat pulling out of the marina Weather stunk too...I'll get there extra early next year to see the hardware.

Last edited by Indy; 09-28-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the Glad gone? That was one beautiful boat!! Saw you guys at the NYC poker run going out in your Sutphen...we got there late and got to see the last boat pulling out of the marina Weather stunk too...I'll get there extra early next year to see the hardware.
Yep, we sold the Glad in Jan after we bought our 35 Motion Cat. Now we have the Sutphen and Motion. Both are for sale too! If was fun running in the rain at NYC. You looking for another ride?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.