Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Northeast US
Philadelphia Area >

Philadelphia Area

Notices

Philadelphia Area

Old 08-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear cylinders on both sides. Both intake valves.

Could detonation break off intake valves like that? could it be bad gas?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don,t know the anwser to that one phil. i would think that if it was bad gas that it would have been running ****ty first. i would think that something either broke right off or loosened and broke. or it could have been an ignition issue, timing, brain box, etc. from my understanding that type of motor is built as a high maintaince runner. like a drag car that gets checked fully after each run. definatly not a recreational machine. even with my engine every week i go through it checking manifold bolts, belts, etc . i will make some calls around locally to see if any of my boat friends have any motors available. i know one guy that has a 500 efi that supposably has 0 hours takeout on it. give me a call today.... mark
Old 08-23-2009, 02:07 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Wouldn't detonation cause burning or melting of something? I would think the pistons would fail before the valves. For a piece of the valve head to break off on both rear cylnders I'm thinking they came into contact with the pistons, valve float or not enough clearance. Then they hammered around in the cylnder damaging the heads, pistons and plugs. Then again, what do I know?

On another note as the weekend of the 5th gets closer I got absolutely nothing accomplished this week. Between the heat and the rain it was unbearable. I did manage to go fishing on Thursday and caught some nice Flounders. There was a 31.5" caught on the boat, NICE FISH!

So for the 5th & 6th, who's in? I know we are, reservations made. Bringing the boys this time, ha boys, 23 and 20. Phil are you riding with Mark? I think you need the escape? Mark you are one hell of a team leader, LOL. Nice offer! I have an open seat as well. I only seat 5. Someone please take my camera from me and get some pics of my boat. Hard to believe I have none really. OK, who's in?
Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 AM
Registered

saturday will be ok for me to take phil. sunday i have 4 people coming down. i donated a boat ride in an auction for the sunshine foundation. got enough bids to send 1 child to disneyworld. sunday will probably be the jellys stop. there will be 3 college girls onboard and their mom. too much eye candy for me. might need to pass two girls onto another ride here and there. any takers? definatly gonna try to hit the river next weekend for a day. water should be cleaned up by then... mark
Old 08-24-2009, 08:53 AM
jln
Registered

Hey Mark was cutting grass yesterday all day , cant seem to keep up this year . try and catch up with you during the week , looking forward to the 5th may go down on the 4th depends on the weather
Old 08-24-2009, 08:57 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Like I said, I have a seat for whoever needs it. Such the humanitarian you are. Donating space on your boat for some young girls needing a ride for a good cause. I am humbled by your continued leadership and impressed by your pervertedness. It will be tight with them all on your boat but I'll have fun watching. Keep your eyes forward, LOL.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Registered

Dont know if i will be out or not. Dont save me a seat or anything, I am planning on using my dad's boat and going fishing, 30' Proline Sportfisherman. They are catching some small tuna and a bunch of albacore out around A bouy, so might try for that.

I havent dont much to the boat all week. It was just too damn hot to work outside. I did pull off the intake and everything, but never got around to the heads.

Mark, how much does he want for the 500efi? I dont know what i can realistically afford right now, especially if I want to get this one fixed to sell, or detuned and keep.

You are certainly a humanitarian, if you need an extra hand i can have the girlfriend stay at home so i can lend an extra hand....
Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

AH! A leader in training! Mark you have competition for the humanitarian award. There's a man that is willing to sacrifice time with his girlfriend to provide services for the needy college girls. Hey wait a minute, I'm in! I hope the wife understands,LOL.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Registered

hey I do what I can to help those less fortunate, especially if they are hot college girls...
Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Registered

Got the port head off tonight. Yes, there is a hole in that piston. Luckily, the cylinder walls are not scored, at least they do not appear to be. I turned the motor over by hand and could not feel any scoring, so hopefully that wont be an issue. The head might need to be replaced, I dont know if they can fix dents like that. The exhaust valve is bent and not seating properly, probably from when it passed the intake valve. The intake valve that was broken off is GONE, so it must have been passed through the exhaust. I doubt that I will even pull off the other head, the motor needs to come out, that much is a given. BTW, i am really suprised at how light aluminum heads are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.