Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
Px 850 Class All The New Boats Cant Wait >

Px 850 Class All The New Boats Cant Wait

Notices

Px 850 Class All The New Boats Cant Wait

Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Px 850 Class All The New Boats Cant Wait

Cost is not a realistic point of view in the argument to allow another Mercury only racing class.

Currently, the SCL boats pay more for their engine/drive package from Mercury, (525/#6 Speedmaster) a class mind you that has absolutely NO COMPETITION, than the SC Mercury racers do for their engine/drive (Merc 750/#6 Speedmater) package that Mercury sells to them; a class where competition does exist.

In SC there is no bigger $$ racing wins scenario. Sterling has the same price for the same engine from customer to customer. I would say the same about Merc. Economic situations make the pricing different based in part upon company size economies of scale between the two but in the overall picture the difference is not un realistic.

So, how is allowing an 850 Merc only package going to lower the cost to the racer when the cost is more up front and there is not going to be any competition? And from Mr. Mauff's racing example, the current SC engine can last many races between rebuilds something that might or might not be capable with the 850's.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Cost is not a realistic point of view in the argument to allow another Mercury only racing class.

Currently, the SCL boats pay more for their engine/drive package from Mercury, (525/#6 Speedmaster) a class mind you that has absolutely NO COMPETITION, than the SC Mercury racers do for their engine/drive (Merc 750/#6 Speedmater) package that Mercury sells to them; a class where competition does exist.

In SC there is no bigger $$ racing wins scenario. Sterling has the same price for the same engine from customer to customer. I would say the same about Merc. Economic situations make the pricing different based in part upon company size economies of scale between the two but in the overall picture the difference is not un realistic.

So, how is allowing an 850 Merc only package going to lower the cost to the racer when the cost is more up front and there is not going to be any competition? And from Mr. Mauff's racing example, the current SC engine can last many races between rebuilds something that might or might not be capable with the 850's.
am i reading this correctly rik, no competition in scl?
your f'n nuts or did it just read wrong
Old 12-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered

you mean engine builder wise. i am sorry. though it does read weird.
again im sorry
Old 12-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racesdad
you mean engine builder wise. i am sorry. though it does read weird.
again im sorry
Competition amongst the engine/outdrive suppliers. Hence the economic argument about racing cost.

Not racing competition.

Remember, racing is suppose to improve the breed, not stifle it.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The word "racing" to many, means a different sound. I'm not sure how many types of racing
series would be interesting to watch if the racing machines sounded no different than the
vehicle you drove there to watch it. NHRA, Nascar and other racing organizations realize this.

Sure, canopied race boats are cool to look at, but if the whole pack comes screamin' down
the front straightaway at a blistering 5600 RPM, it just doesn't sound like a race.
Most uninformed viewers would be wondering when they're gonna cut em loose.

I realize the current SCL/525 package works well and is competitive
but doesn't compare to the sound and speeds of the SuperCats or Extremes.

Can we please consider using high rpm, high compression racing engines in racing boats and leave the
stock "cookin" motors for the pleasure boaters and poker runners whos wives aren't that good of crew chief.

The ability or inability to build powerful and dependable racing engines is a part of "racing".
Old 12-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Registered

I didn't mean to ruffle an feathers. When i said "it takes talent to when" i was simply saying that if everyone ran the same motor by the same builder and the playing field is level in every way, like the SCL class, it does take talent to when. In my case, because I can either spend the money rebuilding my equipment to stay in SCL or sell it and buy new, I would spend about the same money to move up because I would not have to buy a new boat with the new class rule of 37 to 40 ft. I don't think anyone should have to change there equipment in SC to race, therefore starting a new class made since. I think that any SCL racer would like an option to go to without buying a new boat but yet still stay with same engine builder competition. SCL is so much fun because of that we just want to go faster. Again I'm sorry if i offended any of my OSS brothers, you all are great!

Speedy!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sroman6489
thats f@#$% funny as s%$#........
this is how the sport gets to where it needs to be.
the smaller boats should move up and the bigger boats should come down and the end result should be one v bottom class to run on saturday with 25 boats(busch series) and one cat class to run on sunday with 25 boats(cup series) with qualifying for positions.

the more classes, the more offshore keeps spinning its wheels

hammer
Very well said.Is there a way to effectively combine Xtreme,Class 1,Super Cat and Super Cat Light into one awesome class with alot of boats?That would certainly be something that would excite the fans and no doubt attract many more fans to the sport.This would provide greater opportunities for televsion and sponsorship as well.I guess it comes down to some hard decisions that have to be made.If the sport is ever going to go to the next level;the focus needs to be upon improving the racing product and not what the individual equipment owners want.Easier said then done, considering there are owners with alot of very expensive equipment that may be rendered obsoloete.One cat and one vee class is definately the way to go.All other boats could be part of a supporting series like OPA.One other thought;why cant the engines be built to specification as opposed to mandating only one engine manufacturer?This certanly seems like another way to control costs as much as possible.Just an opinion, and us die hard fans will be watching no matter what direction the sport takes.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9 Lives
The word "racing" to many, means a different sound. I'm not sure how many types of racing
series would be interesting to watch if the racing machines sounded no different than the
vehicle you drove there to watch it. NHRA, Nascar and other racing organizations realize this.

Sure, canopied race boats are cool to look at, but if the whole pack comes screamin' down
the front straightaway at a blistering 5600 RPM, it just doesn't sound like a race.
Most uninformed viewers would be wondering when they're gonna cut em loose.

I realize the current SCL/525 package works well and is competitive
but doesn't compare to the sound and speeds of the SuperCats or Extremes.

Can we please consider using high rpm, high compression racing engines in racing boats and leave the
stock "cookin" motors for the pleasure boaters and poker runners whos wives aren't that good of crew chief.

The ability or inability to build powerful and dependable racing engines is a part of "racing".

stock "cookin" motors for the pleasure boaters=================================
they also cost alot more and dont last as long
Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Registered

Did I Do That Soory Just Wanted To Open Some Eyes
Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

So is there any certifiably correct information about what OSS is actually going to do on this, I suspect that the Super Cat Guys will need to know soon, I don't see anything on their website that addresses this, perhaps newly elected Board Members Bill Mauff or Ray Delaney could address this?.

Gregg Reichman

Quick Reply: Px 850 Class All The New Boats Cant Wait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.