Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ??? >

What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Notices

What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Old 03-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anytime

Originally Posted by louietherigger
Hey Brett,
Thanks for the compliment and the offer, we can always use help, Patrol boats and help on the shore too. Rick I think what Brett was saying is the amount of money we spend on our equipment in offshore is substantially more then a BMX racer,
it's probably more then most racing out there. I guess what is on all of our minds is how come a guy with a souped up lawn mower or a $3000.00 bicycle ( which he probably gets for free), can attract million dollar sponsors and we have million dollar equipment and we are sticking on decals for a few hundred bucks. I'm baffled, I guess all we can do is do our best to change it. Maybe it has to do with the constant battle to keep race sites alive when our fellow racers in other fields have a constant place ot race with out all the effort we go through? I often thought it might be how we handle ourselves,
you know maybe a little to wild at times but look at pro wrestling, can't get much more controversial then those guys.
Like I said before it's up to us to go out there and bring in the sponsors and keep swinging, look at the positives, like Augie said, we have grown tremendously and a lot of great things have happened, we just have to keep at it. Louie
You got it Lou
Old 03-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
It's called spectator numbers and TV air time. ........
Well spectator number are pretty dam good, people (and some fans) may not always know who won and fallow the sport close but they do love going into the pits and getting up close to the boats to check out the hardware and take pictures.

TV Time? I See Monster, RockStar and other sponsor local events; like "fairs” in Michigan with $$ and product and I never have seen the Richmond City Fair on TV. The ST. Clair race attracts more people or close to the same amount and the average offshore fan is in better shape than most with more spend able income than the average American. As a Restaurant, Drink Company, Pizza Place, this is what I would want in a customer, one with spending money….

Although I agree with TV "Helping" I don’t think it’s 100% necessary to attacked sponsors.

The boats and spectators alone should be enough for smaller sponsors to want to get involved with out TV Time. Look at how many people just walk buy and look at your boat over the race weekend, that’s better than a Magazine ad and cheaper to.

Last edited by 2 Trick Rick; 03-30-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Shoulda Woulda Coulda
Platinum Member

Default Calss-6 Sponsorship

Gentlemen,

I don’t mean to bring back an old thread but reading this is extremely interesting and strikes close to home with some ideas that I have about racing in the OPA. I have never done a marketing proposal but I plan on racing a Class-6 boat in the near future. I will be talking with the company that I work for about a partial sponsorship. I understand that I will be doing so because I want to get in to Powerboat Racing at the ground floor and not to make money. It is an act of passion and interest more than anything for me. With that being said, I also see this endeavor as an opportunity for my company to get some additional exposure as well as help to cover some of my travel and maintenance expenses. Spectator numbers are hard to gauge at these events, but does anyone have any figures that I could use as a representation of potential outreach? The OC race was broadcast live, the boats are seen in the pits and on the race course by spectators, race results are listed and discussed online and in publications, usually by boat name / sponsor name, etc… I hope that I don’t sound like a complete newb but I guess I am reaching out for some advice from those that have been down this path before... I really look forward to getting out there with you guys, with or without any help from sponsors… Thanks in advance for the direction.

- Chris
Old 06-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This horse has been beat to death....Follow Haggins lead
Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Registered

Chris...its pretty simple.....it will take you just a few phone calls.....call your local paper and local tv stations and ask them the number of veiwers they have during there news broadcast along with how many subscibers the local news paper has along with local radio that promote the race...then fine out from Talk Offshore there adverage of listeners per race, since it sounds like your company is local to O.C. its even better for you....you can then work out a proposal and do apperances during the year at there bussiness, put together a proposal that concentrates at how many house holds your sponsors name will be in....and tie it into local charity events as well,
Old 06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Racer
Racer

Boy after re-reading this thread I feel I sure came off wrong.

My Point I was trying to make was I feel Offshore Racing Is

One of the best values in Motorsports Sponsorships...PERIOD!

Just keep plugging along Chris, be prepared to pay for everything the first year or more but keep trying to attract sponsors. Keep in touch with them; send them pictures of races, events that your boat was used in like parades and such. Over time they may start helping, maybe just with product, maybe just with a little cash and once a relationship has been built you may be able to turn it into something big, but it will take time.

Rick
Old 06-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Racer
Racer

Hey Rick, You have a good point. I think things have gotten a lot better even since you posted this. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Louie
Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Opa has been doing a great job of keeping the peace, they workout all the issues together ..UNITY. AS displayed by a 54 boat count in Ocean City...Good Job ...keep up the Hard work guys...
Old 06-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Shoulda Woulda Coulda
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies... I completely plan on paying for everything on my own and having a blast while doing it. I look forward to mixing it up with you guys. Thanks for everything.
- Chris
Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Alan.