Hanging In The Balance >

Hanging In The Balance

Notices

Hanging In The Balance

Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Hanging In The Balance

Hey Guys I am looking into getting a 28 and my question is about the Twin Engine vs Single ... balance or heavy handling characteristics.

I would love to hear from Twin BBC Guys and how their boats handled...were they too heavy in the back...or only when ya launched them in Big Water?

I understand the Single with Big Power is the preference and that SBC's are a rare option.

I have read virtually every thread in the Pantera Section and it seems you all have your preferences...

I know access is non-existent with the Twin BBC's and that that also is a large factor.

Appreciate any feedback...

Thanks In Advance

Doc
Old 11-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Doc,
It really depends on what you need twins vs single etc. But for me I like to keep things simple so a single BBC is my preference. But if you need twins I would go twin SBC's.
I had a 28' Pantera with twin SBC's and it was PERFECTLY balanced. In my opinion the twin BBC are a bit tail heavy and are not as well balance as twin SBC's.
Now another cool choice would be twin or triple Outboard's light weight and excellent power to weight ratio and AWESOME fuel economy if you go with Mercury Optimax's
(NOT Verado's).
Choices...choices....
Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Ditto on the small blocks.

A 28 with twin BBC's will have a small porpoise as do most all boats under 30ft with twin BBC's. Nothing the tabs can't take care of. I've never been in one with a single, but I would think the extra weight of the twin BBC's would help the ride in the rough. Loaded down with people the twins should also be much easier to plane.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Registered

I would buy a single.

If you are a lake boater who isnt worried about breakdowns as much then single is a great choice.

Mine is pretty darn fast and can run the rough no problem.

I am running a single 540 Tunnel ram 710HP and an IMCO Extreme outdrive. Idles real nice, easy to work on, change oil, plugs, fix small gremlins, etc.

If you are buying a boat with twin engines buy a bigger boat.......
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Registered

I've got to agree with our Canadian friend... I love the ride and balance on my single powered 28. It's an amazing boat in every way. I have a buddy with twin BBC and I think that he indicated that the boat was a bit ass heavy.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the older 28' Pantera, I think (2) of these would be great.

http://www.gm.com/experience/technol...LS3_Marine.pdf

It takes a high output single to push them.

The newer TS seems to be running just great with single 525HP/502.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

Cool

Thanks for the feedback - I love those LS3 Marine Motors...

Gonna have to go look at the new TS @ Ducky's ... how long does it take if you order a new boat? I would guess 700HP in a TS would get ya into the Mid to Upper 80's if they a seeing almost 80 mph with a single 525?

Just curious - So I need 700 Ponies in a nice single - to get the hull moving?

I bet a 700 with the NXT and a Box would be cool... hmmm.

Decisions - more research...

Doc of the Bay
Old 12-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dr. Dan, looking to make the move into a Pantera from a Donzi? I only mention this because I have had two 16s, 22 BH, and a 28ZX. Then a 28 Pantera 525efi and now a 24 Sport 496.Still love the 22 classics though!
Do yourself a favor and talk to Jo about it and what you are looking for. He is a fantastic help and they build an awesome boat!
Greg
Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Registered

Pantera572 I have a 1993 22 Classic with the King Cobra - 4 years ago I dropped an HP500EFI in it, replaced all the gauges and updated the Dash... with a GPS Speedo of course and it's been a hoot ever since. (You can see pics under Dr. Dan at www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com )

A real crowd pleaser...it runs a tad over 80 with a full tank an me and my wife. The acceleration is absolutley like a Space Shuttle. I am keeping the 22 Classic.

I am looking for a little Bigger ride to play in the Chesapeake Bay in. Unfortunately - for a little while yet, I can't fly long distances to visit some of the used Merch. on the market, due to some recent Heart Mod's I had... so in the meantime...

I am going to run up and look at the new TS @ Ducky's ... I am considering the options available... with all the talk of hull efficiency and the speed and HP variables... the new hull might be the way to go instead of used? Its a ton more jing...but hey...ya can't take it with ya right?

I love the Classic Offshore lines of the 28 , it reminds me of a large 22 Classic... and from what I can see from the Owners Gallery on the Pantera site...it flies alot like the 22 Classic... which is cool... I have a fair amount of seat time in mine, the transition seems to be a good fit.

Jo has been very responsive to my emails...and I can't remember when I had such a quick response from anyone involving used boat questions or a boats history.

Anyone know the average turnaround time on if you do order one from the Factory?

Doc of Future Pantera Runnings
Old 12-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Ditto on the small blocks.

A 28 with twin BBC's will have a small porpoise as do most all boats under 30ft with twin BBC's. Nothing the tabs can't take care of. I've never been in one with a single, but I would think the extra weight of the twin BBC's would help the ride in the rough. Loaded down with people the twins should also be much easier to plane.
I learn so much from this guy. I would have thought that the hull, x dim, balance, and whether a hull is a hook or a rocker would have also played into which boats may porpoise. Huh.

Quick Reply: Hanging In The Balance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.