Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!? >

Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Notices
View Poll Results: Does the EBM article speak the truth
Yes
40.63%
No
47.66%
No Opinion
11.72%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Old 11-22-2005, 08:56 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Re: Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Originally Posted by Mark Mathews
Jamie did a nice job holding up the end of the outside bar at Rick's (In fact, I thought he owned that seat for the usage it got this week)..
So I guess he never got inside the pits then huh?

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-23-2005, 10:19 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Default Re: Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Whoever may read this, please take the time to hit the link.

The above post taken out of context would have you believe something other then what it is.

It does not state it is a race!

It simply states that the organization simply uses the "Standard Flags" and "Hand Signals" as a way to communicate with one another's boats out on the water.

Geez Mark,

What are they supposed to do have a completely different set of flags and signals to separate themselves?

Click on the link and it will explain all!

Old 11-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled this from the PRA site .... POKER RUN RULES

IN EVERY FORM OF HIGH-SPEED MOTOR RACING, FLAGS ARE USED TO LET RACE OFFICIALS COMMUNICATE WITH THE COMPETITORS ON THE COURSE. OFFSHORE RACING IS NO DIFFERENT. EVEN THOUGH THE RACE IS HELD ON THE OPEN WATER, FLAGS ARE A NECESSARY LINK IN THE LINE OF COMMUNICATIONS.

RED
Stop! The race is halted. Return to milling area.

GREEN
Signals the start of the race- course is clear. On display in time between five-minute and one-minute signal as well as while race is underway, except for the last lap.

BLUE OR WHITE
Signals that there is a problem on the race course. Like the yellow flag, these flags tell the racers to proceed with caution.

YELLOW-CAUTION
Unlike auto racing, where a yellow flag cautions the drivers about an accident, debris or some other obstacle, offshore racing uses the yellow flag as a caution flag during the rarade lap, when the boats are in the milling area and when the officials bring the boats to the starting line in a paced start. The flag is located in the pace boat.

BLACK
Course is closed. Return to pits and do not leave the pits.

ORANGE
This is the offshore flag. All check boats will fly one 3x5-foot orange pennant with a large black number. Below that flies the Blue Coral Gables flag, below that the White Fireboy flag. The start/finish boat flies dual sets of the three flags.

CHECKED
The best known flag of all signifies that the race is over and the winner is...!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me when did a Poker Run become a race? What happened to having a fun day on the water with friends? I have only been on local Poker Runs, The Chicago Poker Run, SOTW, The Windy City Poker Run ( PRA event), The Indy Poker Run (PRA event) & Numerous Thunder Runs. I wouldn't categorize any of these as races.

Safety should be a big concern for any Poker Run but when you have to take all the precautions of an Offshore Race the fun is gone!!!! Seems the easiest way to promote safety is to eliminate competition.

Dan
Old 11-25-2005, 06:29 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by candyman35
Can someone tell me when did a Poker Run become a race?
Dan
It didn't....

Hit the link, read the Rules which are the 2 top boxes of the page. Follow >> on the top left box telling you to read to the right top box.

The bottom half is not the rules but an explaination of the standard flags used in sports events.

Just like we have rules of the waterways most notably called "Rules of the Road" which is also referred to often at the drivers meetings....

Now if it is such a concern of the MM and LIOPA, then maybe they should contact PRA directly and suggest they reoword their website....
So with that I use Ron's quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P
Some people get it. Some don't.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by candyman35
Can someone tell me when did a Poker Run become a race? What happened to having a fun day on the water with friends? I have only been on local Poker Runs, The Chicago Poker Run, SOTW, The Windy City Poker Run ( PRA event), The Indy Poker Run (PRA event) & Numerous Thunder Runs. I wouldn't categorize any of these as races.

Safety should be a big concern for any Poker Run but when you have to take all the precautions of an Offshore Race the fun is gone!!!! Seems the easiest way to promote safety is to eliminate competition.

Dan

Dan

It became a Race, when the Manufactorers got involve with Poker Runs.

Mike
Old 11-25-2005, 08:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So then do I understand this correctly..................a Poker Run to some is a race then, that has no classes and no restrictions, it is one big class that allows F1, F2, P3 Super Cat, etc. to compete against each other for no 1st 2nd nor 3rd place prize. This does not sound like a fair race then. This sounds like an organized event of just some pretty damn fast boats that allow each other to run against each other. One can say that it is similar to a race setting and may seem like a race, but it is not. One can say that egos have made poker runs more of a "Race of Egos." So instead of writing an entire set of rules, the majority of speed boaters know the rules and caution flags status of racing we should use the same standard for poker runs.

For one to say that a Poker Run is a race in a national mag, is bad publicity for a sport that already is not liked by the general public. So in turn, if the public view is changed and they are told that "Poker Runs" are "Races", then the next arguement will be that "Fun Runs" are like "Poker Runs" which are "Races" cause they read it in a magazine. Then this will put and end to our local boating clubs, because in the public eye, all we do is Race. And soon all the local clubs will only be allowed to have lunch together on land. I'm looking towards the long term effect of what an article like this can bring to a local setting. We already disagree with the sailboater and fisherman, why give documentation to help their cause.

Again, it's just my 2 cents
Old 11-25-2005, 08:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I'll screw up the terminology, but racing up the Hudson to the GWB to be "King of the Hudson" doesn't exactly help defend PoKer Runs as not being races.
I do agree, the runs have become races to some. And the wanting to be the 1st boat up the Hudson from the GW to the TappanZee usually only include approximately a dozen boats looking for this bragging right not the other 100 boats that participate. Is it fair to then call is a race when the other 100+ participants are only running faster than they normally do. I do the poker runs to run with other people, I don't do them to say "I WON". I'd join a racing organization if that what I wanted to do.
(But here's something that kinda proves my point in a way, the NYC poker run starts @ the GW not end there. So if there are things being said that misinform the public, it could cause the end of poker runs and fun runs.)

Last edited by Lucididee; 11-25-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Lets not take away the awards for :
Queen of the Hudson
Spirit of the Hudson
Best Looking Crew
Best Looking Boat
Best Poker Hand

It's not all about who is the fastest boat.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:05 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Some people just will never understand that NY has 2 separate events. NPBA's Race to the TZ and a separate event which is a Poker Run that follows up after the "Race".
I take it MM has never been to this particular event.

I'll screw up the terminology, but racing up the Hudson to the GWB to be "King of the Hudson" doesn't exactly help defend PoKer Runs as not being races.

Maybe he would realize the start is at the George Washington and the finish is at the Tappan Zee....

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 11-25-2005 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.