Notices

How big and fast?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apautobilly
central ny is a great place to poker run, oneida lake has several every season most cruise at 55. We do most every run around i try to cruise at 85. Ropa has several fun runs also with many mixed boats and speeds.
If you run any of the PRA runs you must be bigger than 32 feet.
Not quite true !
PRA (Poker Runs America) accept any boats 26' and upwards - the only reason for this is that liability insurance doesn't cover anything smaller.
Three times this year there were boats 30' and under that took away the prizes.
At Alexandria Bay in NY there is also a special cruiser class!!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I shouldn't have any problems running in a couple of them. Now I can't wait til winter is over!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89Mach1
Thanks everyone! Sounds like I shouldn't have any problems running in a couple of them. Now I can't wait til winter is over!!!
Come down and run some with us. We have two that you will feel right at home with, Jammin On The James in July and HRPA's run in Aug out of Waterside in Downtown Norfolk Va. Come see us.

Joby
Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Come down and run some with us. We have two that you will feel right at home with, Jammin On The James in July and HRPA's run in Aug out of Waterside in Downtown Norfolk Va. Come see us.

Joby

Thanks for the invite! That sounds great, but I'm not too sure I want to run it in salt water. I know I can flush it afterwards, but still.... Maybe though! I'll have to see how work is in July, being in construction it's a little tough to get away for a long weekend as much as I would love to!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can only make one look at Jammin On The James. Go to the 07,08 Jammin threads and look at them it's a blast. You will need to get in early to get on main dock , and the past threads will tell you why the main dock is the place to be. You can go to Randy Nuzzo's site and see RPBA'S and HRPA'S pic's of past runs. We hope to see you.

www.randynuzzo.com and click ImageQuix to see past runs.
Joby

Last edited by formula 382 sr-1; 11-20-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Mach1, all I can say is you do one and you'll be hooked! There is also much to be said for a PR that goes into the ocean. It's about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I wouldn't worry about running in salt water. Just make sure you flush with fresh water at the end. And the dock party/banquet is unbelievable.

Hope you can make it down to the Ches Bay. The PRs are not so large as to attract the 120mph boats, and have plenty of "average joes" that run at speeds that don't intimidate.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

89mach1, is or was your boat called lickety split? It looks familiar.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Registered

Mach 1, You should think about doing the Great Sacandaga Lake(late June) and Lake George runs(columbus day w/end).

I have done Sacandaga the last 2 years(2 years ago in a 22' Scarab). A lot of people run balls out on this run, but most of the boats are single engine 28 footers. Speeds range from 55 MPH boats to 125+ MPH cats.

Lake George did not happen this past year because the organizer was too busy with other things, but the prior 2 years were a great time. They cap the speed at 60 on this run, so all the boats run together(staggerred start because there were 110 boats in '07 and the lake is only 1-2 miles wide).

The after-parties at both these runs are awesome. Plus, they are pretty cheap compared to other runs I have seen/been to.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 89Mach1
How big and fast of a boat do you have to have to run in a say average size poker run? I've never done one and would like to do a few next season but not sure if I'll be able to keep up. What's a normal cruise speed or is it just plain balls to the wall WFO the whole time? Thanks everyone!
You can join in on any run that I have attended and the runs are very safe and almost all can seperate the guys who go over 100 and those below. The most fun of the run is being around people who love the same thing that you do (boating). The poker runners are tons of fun to celebrate with as well!

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Depends.

You have "big dick" poker runs.
And you have "blue collar" poker runs.

And then you have some that are somewhere in the middle. In the "big dick" poker runs, you will probably feel uncomfortable with your boat.
I'm not sure about the "big dicks" or the "blue collars" but what about the "big blue dicks collar run"?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Depends.

And then you have some that are somewhere in the middle. In the "big dick" poker runs, you will probably feel uncomfortable with your boat.

Do a little research on the run; folks here and other places can give you a recommendation. Also, talk to the organizer. A respected organizer is not going to push you into his/her event if you are not right for it.

Quick Reply: How big and fast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.