Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
June 23rd 2012 - Pirate's Run - Seneca Lake, NY >

June 23rd 2012 - Pirate's Run - Seneca Lake, NY

Notices

June 23rd 2012 - Pirate's Run - Seneca Lake, NY

Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you must be kidding about the bar and hotels. it's there biggest weekend of the year for them, that i will guaranty you. so what is the real reason? maybe you could join back in with ropa, seriously! it's not a bad idea, set the pride aside and see what happens
Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

First off, no one wanted to see the Pirate's Run continue more than I. Our crew loves the event and the people that attend. This may be why I drive 1.5hrs each way to the club's meetings, to be a member of a club that is not even based on my home lake. That said, I can't commit time to coordinate with the Seneca Lake businesses involved with the event. Since nobody volunteered to fill vacant officer positions to help President AMP, there really is not a functioning club.

As for the host facilities, don't fall into the trap of thinking it's all about the money for them. The main issues with people bringing and consuming their own alcohol has to do with legal liability and open container laws. It is a very good financial weekend for them but it comes with some headache- the Pirate's Run has always been one hell of a party. Much rowdier than the typical weekend along that section of lake.

Teaming up with ROPA has been discussed, but the focus and priorities of each club are different. ROPA runs great events and everyone should attend, pay entry, and support them.

I am sure there will be people staying and boating at Seneca Lake the weekend of June 22nd having a great time. Many who have posted previously are committed to being there.

I am very sorry if any statements made previously offended anyone. They were fueled by frustration and disappointment of not being able to look forward to another great Pirate Run.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what happened to Eagle Creek? I enjoyed it last year, the folks at the marina seemed to enjoy all the activity, and they're trying to grow the marina.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Registered

Well you could all come out to the Great Sacandaga lake for there fun run. That's what I'll be doing! June 22.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
So what happened to Eagle Creek? I enjoyed it last year, the folks at the marina seemed to enjoy all the activity, and they're trying to grow the marina.
I replied to that in the Niagara on the Lake Run threads but I will copy it here:

Quote:
What happened to the eagle Creek run? I liked that one

It is very dissapointing that we are not able to have it again. It was well attended and the members who did were fantastic, the owners of the marina were great and all had a great time. However it is a difficult venue, logistically, with 2 different groups (a marina group and a yacht club) and we weren't getting much help in setting up from them and no help after the run. This put extra strain on the few volunteers who ran the event as well as those same volunteers who had to do the legwork before that event (actually more legwork and coordination than the club's Seneca Lake Battleship Run). We needed more people to step up. At the last ROPA club meeting there was very few people attending.The officers felt that they did not want to do all the work again with no one new stepping up and it was decided there would not be a run this year.
This looks like a good new one and don't forget about ROPA's 23 annual Seneca Lake Battleship run on July 19-21 www.rochesteroffshore.com
Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default KUDO"S to AMP

AMP.
I don't believe we've ever met but you have my utmost respect for attempting to keep this run going pretty much by yourself. After 22 years of promoting these events myself I know only too well what it takes to do one and it takes more than just participants and 1 organizer, as you can see by my post above responding to the Eagle Creek run. I empathize with you as I know it hurts you to not be able to put on an event that you love to be a part of. That is why I still do it.
For the people who want to keep it simple there are still some issues. Example- just get a t-shirt for anyone who wants to buy one- 1st you need somone to design it. 2nd you need someone to go to a shop and get them made. 3rd you need someone to pay for them ahead of time and then hope you have all the right sizes and people buy them all or you are stuck with the bill for the remainder and a loss out of your pocket.
Just one example of even a simple run. There is more detail that needs to be addressed here as you (AMP) and I well know.
I have never been able to make your event, as it is always the weekend I have another obligation every year, but I have always heard of what a quality event and a good time it was.
ROPA has never harbored any ill will toward SPBA or the Pirates Run as evident by several of our members and officers attending and supporting the event every year. I just want you and your members to know that our (ROPA) and my door is always open for discussion, if you so desire.
Should you not then I hope you, at least, visit us at the Battleship Run July 19-21. Even if not participating I'd be honored to buy you dinner (or just a drink if you don't want to stay around).
From one organizer to another- Thanks for all your hard work and the best to you in the future!
Bill Krystan, President
Rochester Offshore Powerboat Association
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WHIPLASH
I replied to that in the Niagara on the Lake Run threads but I will copy it here:

Quote:
What happened to the eagle Creek run? I liked that one

It is very dissapointing that we are not able to have it again. It was well attended and the members who did were fantastic, the owners of the marina were great and all had a great time. However it is a difficult venue, logistically, with 2 different groups (a marina group and a yacht club) and we weren't getting much help in setting up from them and no help after the run. This put extra strain on the few volunteers who ran the event as well as those same volunteers who had to do the legwork before that event (actually more legwork and coordination than the club's Seneca Lake Battleship Run). We needed more people to step up. At the last ROPA club meeting there was very few people attending.The officers felt that they did not want to do all the work again with no one new stepping up and it was decided there would not be a run this year.
This looks like a good new one and don't forget about ROPA's 23 annual Seneca Lake Battleship run on July 19-21 www.rochesteroffshore.com
Thanks Bill, I missed that post. I look forward to see you on the water soon.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

AMP.
I don't believe we've ever met but you have my utmost respect for attempting to keep this run going pretty much by yourself. After 22 years of promoting these events myself I know only too well what it takes to do one and it takes more than just participants and 1 organizer, as you can see by my post above responding to the Eagle Creek run. I empathize with you as I know it hurts you to not be able to put on an event that you love to be a part of. That is why I still do it.
For the people who want to keep it simple there are still some issues. Example- just get a t-shirt for anyone who wants to buy one- 1st you need somone to design it. 2nd you need someone to go to a shop and get them made. 3rd you need someone to pay for them ahead of time and then hope you have all the right sizes and people buy them all or you are stuck with the bill for the remainder and a loss out of your pocket.
Just one example of even a simple run. There is more detail that needs to be addressed here as you (AMP) and I well know.
I have never been able to make your event, as it is always the weekend I have another obligation every year, but I have always heard of what a quality event and a good time it was.
ROPA has never harbored any ill will toward SPBA or the Pirates Run as evident by several of our members and officers attending and supporting the event every year. I just want you and your members to know that our (ROPA) and my door is always open for discussion, if you so desire.
Should you not then I hope you, at least, visit us at the Battleship Run July 19-21. Even if not participating I'd be honored to buy you dinner (or just a drink if you don't want to stay around).
From one organizer to another- Thanks for all your hard work and the best to you in the future!
Bill Krystan, President
Bill.....you are a class act! We will miss the eagle creek run....My brother keeps his boat at the marina and is active in thier club. He is also part of the auxiliary coast guard in that area..If anything can be done to save the run and gather up some help please let me know! Rob
Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 AM
AMP
Registered

AMP.
Bill Krystan, President
Bill-

I don't think we have met either. I never did make it to the Battleship Run, summer is a busy time for me. I need a winter job with summers off, but not teaching haha!

I definitely wanted to put on this Run this year. I've always had a great time at the Run and last year had a great time putting on the Run. It sounds like a simple task but when you start listing out the little details that most people don't think of it quickly becomes impossible for a limited number of people to put together.

If you're thinking a joint run, anything is a possibility. That could get a few extra hands on each end to fill the gaps.

I'll have to see if I can make it up at some point for your Run, it might not be until later in the evening so don't go getting too messed up

-Andrew M Pike
SPBA
Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 AM
AMP
Registered

Anyone still planning on going to Seneca Lake for this weekend we are booking the same band as last year, Audibull!

We might have to rename this event "The Beached Pirate's Party"

There will not be an official Run

So if you were already planning on coming you can still come and have a good time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.