Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
BOYNE THUNDER JULY 11,12  2014  Boyne City, Michigan >

BOYNE THUNDER JULY 11,12 2014 Boyne City, Michigan

Notices

BOYNE THUNDER JULY 11,12 2014 Boyne City, Michigan

Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I just really really don't understand all the whining.

Obviously a ton of people want to attend, and that's a great thing. Once the marina is able to handle the traffic, then we can all relax.

And for the record, the FAR dock is 1300' away. Most of us could stand to walk 30 boat lengths.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work with charity group that has this same problem. We do a banquet every year and we can hold 400 people give or take a few. Last year we sold out and had to squeeze people in that were walk ins. This year we are sold out 3 week in advance and we are going to have to cut it off. It's a hard line to find and or know when to make a change. Next year we have to make the choice to move it 30 miles or just be happy with what we are doing. If we move we stand a good chance that we will not get more to attend due to it location.... And I doubt we will get the service the current place offers. I think these are some of the same problems that this event is dealing with and I feel there pain. I feel personally that the early registration dose make it kind of a boys club.... But hey it's there event and they can do what they please. In the end this is a sign that the organizers have done a great job and have taken this to its limit. I'm sure the charity is grateful!!

I was entertaining the idea of attending and bring a group of friends up to check this out. My point of view is when I invite people to go on a weekend with me in my boat I want them to feel like they are right in the middle of the action. I don't think I could do that here from the sounds of things. I have a budget like most for poker runs each year. I'm sure I will find a nice one to bring my group too.

Again hats off to the organizers sounds like you guys have knocked this event out of the park and I know a lot about what it takes to do something like this often the biggest players in these types of thing don't have much fun due to that fact that they spend most there time trying to please the masses.

Good job guys!!
Mike
Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
I work with charity group that has this same problem. We do a banquet every year and we can hold 400 people give or take a few. Last year we sold out and had to squeeze people in that were walk ins. This year we are sold out 3 week in advance and we are going to have to cut it off. It's a hard line to find and or know when to make a change. Next year we have to make the choice to move it 30 miles or just be happy with what we are doing. If we move we stand a good chance that we will not get more to attend due to it location.... And I doubt we will get the service the current place offers. I think these are some of the same problems that this event is dealing with and I feel there pain. I feel personally that the early registration dose make it kind of a boys club.... But hey it's there event and they can do what they please. In the end this is a sign that the organizers have done a great job and have taken this to its limit. I'm sure the charity is grateful!!

I was entertaining the idea of attending and bring a group of friends up to check this out. My point of view is when I invite people to go on a weekend with me in my boat I want them to feel like they are right in the middle of the action. I don't think I could do that here from the sounds of things. I have a budget like most for poker runs each year. I'm sure I will find a nice one to bring my group too.

Again hats off to the organizers sounds like you guys have knocked this event out of the park and I know a lot about what it takes to do something like this often the biggest players in these types of thing don't have much fun due to that fact that they spend most there time trying to please the masses.

Good job guys!!
Mike
I can assure you, even if you don't enter the run you will not regret coming up for the event. You can easily put yourself in the center of the action. The spectator raft ups, fun runs, street show etc. are worth the trip just on their own. I know of a pretty big crew going up strictly to spectate and party. It will be one of the best boating trips you've ever done, and if it's not I'll buy your dinner.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of these posts are really upsetting. The volunteers that help with Boyne do an awesome job with what they have to work with. If the naysayers sign up they will be presently surprised with this event. This will be my fourth year signing up. The first year I signed up payed the money and had the boat break, it happens! I decided not even go up and see what it was about. I also didn't ask for a refund because it goes to a good cause. The second year I was able to participate, it was absolutely amazing how all the volunteers accommodated my every need from boat dockage to where I needed to park tow vehicle and trailer. They didn't have to they wanted to because that's the type of people they are. The third year I had another breakdown with the boat but decided to participate without the boat because again this event and the like minded people that participate are amazing and make it a blast to be apart of. However I did give my slip up so that someone that did not get one could enjoy it.

For the people stating I won't pay the 650 not to get on the main dock, being on the main dock is a very small part of this event. Just being there makes it worth every cent.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
I can assure you, even if you don't enter the run you will not regret coming up for the event. You can easily put yourself in the center of the action. The spectator raft ups, fun runs, street show etc. are worth the trip just on their own. I know of a pretty big crew going up strictly to spectate and party. It will be one of the best boating trips you've ever done, and if it's not I'll buy your dinner.
Can't go and not run my boat.... I love driving the thing ,just to much to watch people fly by. I know I don't have the biggest or the fastest. I can't even be around other boats piping with out free king out and going for quick ride..... I'm sure you all understand.

If i do come up .... I'm going lie about how fun it is, I don't pass up a free meal..... I'm sure you all understand. LOL
Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by WaveCrusher77
WOW SERIOUSLY offshorexcursion???? Your saying all of this while your sitting proud on Dock #1. Which happens to be getting replaced with a brand new floater this spring. I would bet that you, a local, had inside information on that. I find it hard for you to question someones passion for power boating based on their opinion of the way the event was organized. They are expected to pay an equal price for a dock (or no dock) that is on the other side of the lake in an area that doesn't even feel like part of the event, walk a mile to come to your dock to join the festivities just to turn around and walk another mile back to their boat to mix another drink. If you really believe that this event is all about the kids and that "having the perfect dock doesn't change any of these important things," then why don't you switch with the guy on dock 60. I believe that your response would be the same as theirs. I do appreciate all of the sponsors and volunteers for their hard work and contributions. This event wouldn't be what it is today without them.

And then there is the issue with the pace boat and double entries.........
Typical Keyboard Cowboy. Wouldn't be surprised if you already are registered on OSO and are hiding behind this new screen name.....

Sorta creepy having an OSO stalker though

But I feel sorry for you so let me help you out.........

SHHHHHH......don't let anyone else know about my local inside information

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ed-marina.html

Wait I forgot you can't read very well or you would understand that just because a dock is not guaranteed does not mean 80+ boats will not be docked/rafted just like last year. We all stick together and work as a team, in a positive way, you might be surprised what can be accomplished. I have a funny feeling this group of poker runners might not bend over backwards to squeeze your boat in though.

The double entries have been explained and the PACE BOAT is a year round volunteer who also paid the entry fee and some, PLUS gives MORE rides then anyone else to the CHILDREN. Are you that COLD to believe he does not deserve a dock?

I BEG you to post some other poker runs around the country where OVER 60 Boats are GUARANTEED a DOCK. Then please post the Freshwater depth clarity reading there.

BTW, Slip #1 has never been sought after in the past years. Try backing up with a west wind blowing you into the rock wall. We were also the first to choose raft positions in the previous years to free up more popular slips for others.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my take on everything...

The event has grown, yes... and certainly seems at times like it is leaning more towards being a cash cow with the best benefits going to the highest bidder. Not only do we have a pre-reg, but a pre-pre reg.

BUT- the first time I did the run, I did not have a slip at all, no secondary dock or marina... just put the boat in, run, and pull it out. Same price. I guess sometimes you just have to pay your dues and suck it up for a year so the next year you can be in on the early registration. I wasnt so lucky because the next year my pre-reg code was not sent to me so i was on the sidelines looking in again. This year i did get my code finally, and was waiting at 8 a.m. just like everyone else. Slip #28, look me up for a cold one

I'm just looking forward to going by offshoreexcursion in his cruiser since he's selling the 33!! WTF

Last edited by AJ POWERPLAY; 03-05-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of good points everyone is making here but is going back in forth at each other really worth it. Be the better person and just don't add to it. I said early that it seemed fishy that the main docks were full by 8:20am, I was upset, I ended up at #66, I came back on an apologized for what I posted. After seeing people get denied a slip how can I complain. And trust me if I had the coin for the pre pre registration I would of jumped on it.

For everyone who is at the main dock just have plenty of beer on hand, I'm not walking back to my boat for a refill and it better be something nice not that natty light crap either gonna have to be something stronger, got a feeling that water is going to be cold this year.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot to ask this question to the Boyne Committee, last year I skipped the second card stop, I wasn't running nearly as fast as everyone else, but I got to the lunch stop right in the middle of it and it was obvious where to go and who I could raft off with. It was a little intimidating pulling up to boats worth about 10 times mine. This year I plan on hitting the second card stop and that seems to be the farthest one away which will put me probably close to last getting to lunch. I saw a few boats get denied on rafting off and from the dock didn't look like it was going to be much fun for those guys trying to find something and not to mention eat fast so that they don't hold anyone up. Are there any plans in the works to make that a easier transition? If we have 100 boats this year how will that work during the lunch stop, round lake can get pretty congested and for rafting off of end docks that means we will have to stack 10 boats on the ends of 10 docks. I hope there will be some picture diagram at the drivers meeting telling us where to go. I know certain people want to be tied up with certain people, but with 100 boats I wouldn't be picky.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I had a dream that I was running at Boyne last night (I really did and it was very intense)! Then I woke up and went across the Mighty Mac this morning and there wasn't even ANY open water! Not even for the ice cutter! I just don't want to be dodging ice bergs this event!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.