Notices

Desert Storm first timer???

Old 04-17-2015, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleek1
I was wondering if it was at Havasu Springs Resort. Not a lot of condos with slips. Have a safe trip.
I think it's called king some thing or another
Old 04-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Oline
I think it's called king some thing or another
Is it Kings View Condo's?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Registered

I live in Havasu full time and boat year round, I average about 180 hours a year on the boat hour meter on the Lake. I know the Lake and river very well including all the back waters. The best advice is follow someone at the mouth of the river, it really hasn't changed in years as some are led to believe and as said on the Calif. side is the no-wake lane. The Lake itself is 25-27 miles long and the river is about 58 miles to Davis Dam. But as is was said no need to past Pirates Cove but you will want to check it out and as well as Topock 66 which has much better food and service with a pool and they now have a swim up bar, my choice is Topock 66 over Pirates Cove, from the mouth of the river they are about 20 miles upstream. Down at the south end of the Lake is Havasu Springs and is a good place for drinks and food, we like going there for breakfast. Of course there is the Turtle Bar at the Nautical Resort plus the Pool with a Bar. Check out Riverdavesplace web site for addition stuff going on during the event.

Last edited by WTDecker; 04-20-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by WTDecker
Is it Kings View Condo's?
yes i believe it is
Old 04-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Oline
yes i believe it is

That's good, you will be right in the channel just north of the London Bridge. Most will leave their boat parked on the beach overnight, spiked down. Actually it is illegal to do that, $250. fine BUT during Desert Storm I have never seen them get tickets. I have friends with Condo's there, I will be there for the party's! There will be a lot of party's there on the beach in front of Kings View.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:18 PM
Registered

Will be interested to hear Oline's report about his experience at Havasu, especially coming all the way from WI. Buddy of mine & I were there Wed evening - Sat about noon and had a blast. Stayed at the Super-8 just past the London Bridge condos, very cheap, reasonably clean, great lake view, ample parking, close enough to walk to the bridge and areas close to there. Rental car was handy to drive out to Site-Six and Turtle bar. Contemplated renting a boat for Friday, but all places jacked rates way up to $500 for the day, so didn't feel the reward was worth the expense.

Street party was impressive, especially for a big shootout rookie. Found some cool bars, good foods, great local diner (Rusty's) for breakfast w/ friendly locals. All in all a great trip. Toss in near perfect for April weather, rugged scenery, and all the mod'd RZRs, street rods, and random 70s & 80s non-descipt vehicles still on the road (no such thing as an original '84 Oldmobuick intact left in the rust belt here) and it was well worth the trip.

Never seen so many go-fast quality boats in one place at the same time all being towed by tricked out trucks, not quite sure how that many people can afford that many Magic, Nordic, Eliminator, & Conquest speed-decks and cats with big $$$$ drive trains- impressive to say the least.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default D Storm 2015

I had an opportunity to make the trek to D Storm this year.( ~ 2000 mile journey)

The Street Party: was a wonderful event, and reported to have ~40,000 spectators, but most of them were not boating enthusiasts. Got the feeling that most of the
street party spectators were locals looking for an event to attend, irrespective of the purpose

The Poker Run; Hats off to the Jim N, ( and his crew) for organizing over 170 boats for this event. It created an opportunity to tour the lake, the time it took for 170 boats to parade under the bridge seemed to be excessive.

Compared to LOTO, is simply did not have the resources, lodging, bars, fuel stops, and access points that we have become accustomed to for powerboating events.

Doc J[ATTACH=CONFIG]540511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]540512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]540513[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Desert Storm first timer???-img_4412.jpg   Desert Storm first timer???-img_4413.jpg   Desert Storm first timer???-img_4420.jpg  

Old 04-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Registered

Yeah your are right about the lack of on Lake resources but you see that alot out west since the land around the Res.'s are either Indian, State or Federal. But we like it that way, rather not see buildings everywhere on the shorelines. Too each their own. We had a great time also