Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with... >

A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Notices

A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts
Default Re: A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Originally Posted by boatnt
Wally
you want the tabs to respond slow.
because of the reaction the boat will have.
I've yet to run a boat with tabs that the tabs did not immediately respond to input from the switches. Wally's tabs are so slow to react that you can time them with a sundial. Definitely something amiss there.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Re: A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've yet to run a boat with tabs that the tabs did not immediately respond to input from the switches. Wally's tabs are so slow to react that you can time them with a sundial. Definitely something amiss there.
Not sure what folks are saying as far as tab response time, so this is all subjective. But for me, my tabs responded immediately - and that is exactly what I wanted them to do. I boat a lot in wash machine water at LOTO, not very predictable conditions, and my tabs were in front of my throttles. My opinion was I never want my hands off the throttles, so if I had to extend forward for the tabs - they better react fast. Mine responded immediately, and it does not take long to get used to that.

For reference - mine had spacers in them so they would not go negative, meaning in the up position they were parallel with the bottom. A half second hit would get a reaction. 2-3 seconds would take them all the way down, and if you were running 60-70 mph that would be a bad thing. I took the spacers out to run the full range one time, and 2 hours later I put them back in because I was so accustomed to immediate response with the tabs.

I guess it is what you are used to.

Last edited by Mentalpause; 01-13-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2-3 Seconds From All Up To All Down Sounds Right.

All Agree?????
Old 01-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by performancemary
2-3 Seconds From All Up To All Down Sounds Right.

All Agree?????
For reference - I am talking about 280 K-planes.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

Thats what I have but I don't excect the 38's would be any different
Old 04-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Registered

IT WORKS!!!!!!

Installed the accelerator box (relay) and the hatch ram now gets plenty of juice now to operate like it should have to begin with. It will now raise and lower with ease.

I will say we had to improve the piece from Rex Marine, a friend of mine re-sodered (sp?) some of the electrical connections as they were not strong to begin with (I ended up breaking one as a result). Works like a champ now!

The tabs on the other hand won't move. On to the next project.

Last edited by cbgenrl; 04-11-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cbgenrl
IT WORKS!!!!!!

Installed the accelerator box (relay) and the hatch ram now gets plenty of juice now to operate like it should have to begin with. It will now raise and lower with ease.

I will say we had to improve the piece from Rex Marine, a friend of mine re-sodered (sp?) some of the electrical connections as they were not strong to begin with (I ended up breaking one as a result). Works like a champ now!

The tabs on the other hand won't move. On to the next project.
Get some real tabs you sissy!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ok does any body know where PQ got the hatch rams? if so I would like there info so I can get a new one. Thanks

Rich.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Registered

cbgenrl-

Glad to hear that the box worked for you. Was it a had wiring job or rather easy?

Bob
Old 04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Registered

Pretty easy........

6 wires connect to the box:

Battery
Ground
From Switch Up
From Switch Down
To Hatch Ram Up
To Hatch Ram Down

I am a little dissapointed in the quality of the construction, but I gave it some help to stay secure and it works perfect.

For lack of a better spot I have just ziptied the box to the back of the hatch ram right next to the ram motor. Sounds redneck but looks fairly clean and is out of the way for impeller changes on the port side (and I didn't have to run wire all over the place).

-Wally

Quick Reply: A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.