Exhaust Tips >

Exhaust Tips

Notices

Exhaust Tips

Old 03-07-2006, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Exhaust Tips

Well I just picked up a new set of tips and as soon as the weather warms I'll pull the old ones off and make the exchange. Just wondering did anyone else run into as much trouble as Mig in getting the old corsa tips off?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Corsa mufflers on my 340 matched up perfectly with Stainless marine tips that I installed. When I sold the boat, I swapped out Vyper340's Corsa tips and gave him my Stainless Marine Tips - again a perfect match.
Both boats did not have any caulk (nor did Macklins) instead PQ used a nice silicone gasket. Made for a tidy install.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 03-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed mine out this weekend with some Eddie Marine tips and the holes were the same. took me about 1 hour for both.
It was pretty easy. There were 2 hose clamps on the inside and 3 bolts from the mufflers.(one on bottom and 1 @ 10 o' clock and 1 @ 2 o'clock) I unbolted the the nuts, removed the washers. Keep them if you get Eddie Marine tips because the washers they send are too small. Also make sure you get 3" bolts with the new tips. I did not use the gasket that came with the mufflers because they were in bad shape. I laid down a healthy bead of silicone and fingered it all the way around nice and even like. As I tightened them down it oozed and I wiped off the extra! re connected the hose clamps and walla!
Next step hook up some water and fire it up!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Registered

i found this while searching for clues:

I will see if I can intelligently answer the questions and put a final light on the Mercury "Turbulator" plate in the 496 engines. First, all the 496's I have seen or checked seem to have the plate irregardless of year of manufacturer. Thats not to say Mercury has or will not change on certain production years and models. As I understand from Mercury engineers themselves, these plates wetre designed to catch small amounts of exhaust moisture, not reversion!, no plate will stop reversion, reversion is a function of cam timing and overlap and it does not exist per say in the 496 Mag or HO engines. Exhaust moisture, depending on the individual boat , exhaust design and exhaust system exit heights coupled with silent choice or otherwise can sometimes be a greater water generator issue in some hulls more than others. The plate was designed to provide a substantial shelf to catch small amounts of actual water and provide a place where exhaust heat could cook it off and keep it from entering the exhaust manifold and possibly getting to the exhaust valve, especially after the motor is shut off. The idea is not a bad one but the execution was not the best. first the inside diameter of this hole in the "turbulator is just over 2-1/4" inches in size. This does not seem like a serious dimension, however you need to understand that the inside diameter of the Mercury sweep riser is over 3" and about 3-1/2" at the location of the "turbulator" plate. This small opening becomes a substantial restriction to the exhaust gas flow at higher rpms, especially under full WOT periods. Remember this is a fairly high horsepower 500 cubic inch engine! We have done actual flow bench runs on the manifold and riser, with and without the turbulator plate and I can personaly tell you that removing the plate has a considerable affect on how much exhaust gas the manifold & riser plate can flow at what would be higher rpms and throttle positions. I wish the manifold designer-Gil? had just designed a little more down angle to the exhaust port entrance at the cylinder head flange and any need for the turbulator plate would have been completetly eliminated. The low pocket this would have created would cook off small amounts of water., but what the heck, I didn't design the manifold, and it's really not a half bad part. This manifold is every bit a good as a normal aftermarket cast manifold such as Stainless Marine, Gil, Eddie or Imco standard . If you have a boat that has a s-pipe drop tube between the riser na d the transom exit tip or your boat has a moderate drop between the riser exit height and the transom exit you should be able to eliminate the plate and get the horsepower benefits accordingly. If your transom exit height is close to the bottom of the Merc riser height, you have a silent choice system which you keep set closed for through the prop exit a lot or you are one of these boaters with a below the water line tip exit, swim platform cap over the tip and you back down hard a lot of the time, then you may be better off keeping the turbulator plates installed. If you can safefly remove them, especially with our BIGPOWER kit you will gain power at higher rpms. Remember any impediment to air flow into or out of a high performance large cubic inch engine, especially in marine use will have a negative affect on performance. Otherwise no one would need to purchase marine header or high performance marine manifold systems. I hope this clears the air and clarifies the issue. "Will the real Turbulator plate please stand up!"
Old 03-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Registered

its from Raylar
Old 03-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Registered

i also found this pic

item #19
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Tips-07a.gif  
Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Registered

Just Wondering If Replacing My Quick And Quiet Tips To Open Tips Will Give Me Any Benefits Besides Sound (h.p. Or Torque)? I Have Stock 310 Mpi's Is It A Waste Of Time And Money? The Quick And Quiet Is Just That Quiet. I Would Love To Have More Sound With Out Getting Any Tickets. Will I Have Any Lean Conditions With Changing Tips? Thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by paxtonsc
Just Wondering If Replacing My Quick And Quiet Tips To Open Tips Will Give Me Any Benefits Besides Sound (h.p. Or Torque)? I Have Stock 310 Mpi's Is It A Waste Of Time And Money? The Quick And Quiet Is Just That Quiet. I Would Love To Have More Sound With Out Getting Any Tickets. Will I Have Any Lean Conditions With Changing Tips? Thanks

Ya know I don't know if I got any horsepower of torque gain...maybe a little but not like 50HP. If any I would say 20-25HP. The sound factor was plenty for me although and for the $150 it was worth every bit.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Mig was the only one trouble getting his old tips off. What year boats do you guys have? I believe my tips have some type of gasket. Being the boats in storage I can't get to it to confirm but based on some photo's I took I can see a black ring around the base. My new tips should be in Friday. Lets see I've now got new tabs, billet steering column, speakers and exhaust tips install. Waiting for spring is better than Christmas!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Registered

Mine is an '02 and I had black gaskets.
It sounds like you have a lot to when the snow melts

I am picking up my stereo in the morning:

4 each - JL Audio 10W3v2
5 pair - JL Audio XR650-CXi mids and highs
1 - JL Audio 1000/1 Class D mono amp
2 - JL Audio 300/2 for the mids and highs

and the boat goes to the install shop on Monday!!!

I will post progress pictures!

Here are the amp and battery racks!

4 batteries for the stereo, 1 for the house, and 1 for the motor.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Tips-.jpg  

Last edited by littlejake; 03-08-2006 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.