Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260? >

Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260?

Notices

Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
So, you remove the hook and then the boat porpoises horribly. Then what do you do? You add K-planes and drag them to keep the nose from bouncing which scubs speed. In the end, how much do you gain?
LOL

A manufacturer with the reputation PQ has did not put that hook there for no reason. Good manufacturers balance performance, handling and speed. Taking it out of a 38 is one thing considering the boat has the hull to accomodate that change. I would call on some PQ factory folks, some post out here, that could help provide input.

On the point about them not coming into play at 70 - check where the hook is at. It will be in the far aft portion of the hull. Then see where is exists side to side. Is it only from the chine to the outer strake? If so, it plays more of a role for getting on plane, and much lesser role when running 60+.. If it comes into play from the outer strake to the keel, you can bet it is in play when you are running above 60 mph.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mentalpause...This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for! If the difference between all the different hulls is an inch or 2 then I feel anything can happen with the right guy doing the work. What do you think?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachanga
Mentalpause...This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for! If the difference between all the different hulls is an inch or 2 then I feel anything can happen with the right guy doing the work. What do you think?
Knot 4 Me is dead on. You might remove the hook and end up having to compensate with tabs or something else. I would start by finding out from the PQ engineers why the hook is there in the first place, and find out exactly where on the surface it exists.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet would be to find out who built that mold as the new folks at PQ more than likely won't have a clue. For some reason I was thinking it was a company in Florida but I could be wrong. As for The Velocity that boat runs a pad if I'm not mistaken and has a completely different hull design than a PQ. I to looked at the Velocities several times but they just don't have what I need in a boat. I don't have access to my 26 right now so I'm wondering where this hook is at???
Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

between the chine and outer strake,about the last foot
Old 12-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
between the chine and outer strake,about the last foot
Then it is primarily there to help the hole shot. Take it out and all you accomplish is longer time to plane and added stress on the drive. As Rbtnt said, it should not come into play much at top speeds.

Last edited by Mentalpause; 12-15-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree
Old 12-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is it in the hull design that is holding it back? People have posted here that that a 260 will bearly break 70 with 600 horses...yet with a 425 Horse it will run mid to upper 60's! Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Registered

That would not be considered a hook. That would be the rocker. Thats a pretty major removal as that thing is pretty large.Once on plan it has no effect as it's not even in the water.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered

From what I'm to understand the 26 has a low X dimension the drive adding to the drag. If that could be raised it may help with some speed. Once again I don't think PQ ever designed this to be fast hull.Simply solid and predictable and thats what it is. I'd be happy if I could run 65 to be honest. But until the 454 mag EFI shows signs of tiring I'll have to settle for 60.

Quick Reply: Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.