Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260? >

Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260?

Notices

Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmmm...so has anyone ever tried a shorty? Or will that just make it a btch to get on plane? The draft does seem a bit deep at 36 inches....same as almost all PQ's including their big cruiser!(provided their specs on their websight are correct)
Old 12-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Take a 6 or 8 foot straight-edge and in the section of the hull between the keel and the inner-most strake run the straight edge from the transom towards the bow of the boat. If you have any gap between the straight-edge and the bottom, you have a hook.

Read the 5th post in this thread by Brett at BBlades. Brett used to work for Mercury and knows his stuff.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...light=porpoise

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 12-17-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
Hmmmmm...so has anyone ever tried a shorty? Or will that just make it a btch to get on plane? The draft does seem a bit deep at 36 inches....same as almost all PQ's including their big cruiser!(provided their specs on their websight are correct)
Bottoms are probably simillar and therefore results might be too.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=151371

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 12-17-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Bottoms are probably simillar and therefore results might be too.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=151371
Wow! Thanks for the link...looks like a shortie is probably the best bang for the buck! I wanna get the bottem checked 1st...Plan on taking it in a getting it serviced,etc. I'll get my guy to straight edge it!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the guys on this forum swaped out his stock bravo drive for an Imco shorty on a 27 Laser. I don't recall the results. If you get a chance let me know what you see once you put a straight edge on the bottom. I'm really curious to see if theres a hook or not.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
One of the guys on this forum swaped out his stock bravo drive for an Imco shorty on a 27 Laser. I don't recall the results. If you get a chance let me know what you see once you put a straight edge on the bottom. I'm really curious to see if theres a hook or not.
I'm not exactly sure when I will get the boat in. He's got my Pachanga right now. Doesn't look like anyones interested in my just broken in Procharged 454 so I might go ahead and finish my Pachanga project. This envolves tabs, prop work,and the hydraulic steering I bought. Really chewing my lip about this as I really don't need 2 boats! But...I will have a nice reasonably fast cruiser and a flat out haul ass boat if I do! I wouldn't hesitate to own both if I lived on the water...I'm a trailer boater. Know anyone interested in a nice Pachanga 22 or a 454 built from the inside out for a procharger with 50 hours on it? Might even sell the procharger set up seperately. I'll definately let ya know what we find out about the hull! Just might be a few months.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Pq 260 Xl

I had my '98 26 PQ for almost 9 years and it was powered by a stock 502. Top speed was around the 65 mph mark. With the 23 degree deadrise and lighter weight I wouldn't want to go any faster unless you had some serious tabs in the back to control it. Mine would never porpouise at all under any condition. What it would do is start to bounce from chine to chine. Scary, you really had to have good throttle control. Knowing this I would find it tough to see that hull design at 80! Hope your plans work out and you achieve your goal, safely!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:41 PM

you should give chris mills at extreme body works a call. he has been talking to to the eds at powerboat on doing a before and after on blueprinting a hull. he just finished up a blue print on a older 25 predator. the hook your talking about probibly was not molded in, could have formed form your trailer or some other form of storage thats not supporting the transome good enuf. the shorty your talking about needs some sirious disscusions with imco. the low x on your boat is most likely for bow lift. you will most likely need an extension box for your boat to ride correct. hope this helps
Old 12-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize a 23 Nova and 26 PQ are two completely hulls but thought I'd throw this into the conversation as it may help. My Nova has the hook near the transom. Don't know if it's similar to the PQ hook as I've not had the opportunity to check a PQ hull out. Think I mentioned this in another PQ thread but, in relation to the chine walk, my Nova started chine walking in the low/mid 60's and would continue and get worse on up to +70 GPS. It would get scary bad, and I was not able to "drive through it". Throttle Up tweaked my 25 Mirage Plus and the walk was completely gone after that. I've had the Nova a tad over 73 on GPS with no walk at all. That said, it might be worth discussing prop work with Throttle Up or the prop shop of your choice.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So whats the verdict on the hull?? Does she have a hook??

Last edited by Fast Forward; 12-27-2007 at 06:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.