Can a prop cause chine walk? >

Can a prop cause chine walk?

Notices

Can a prop cause chine walk?

Old 09-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a prop cause chine walk?

Got a chance to test a 23" Rev-4 on my Baja 232 this morning. Although I have tested both a 23" Mirage/PLUS and a 22" Bravo/1 reaching a max speed of 66mph running as smooth as silk in 1' wind chop, today was quite different.

Running offshore in 2' seas, the Rev-4 performed pretty well but seemed a bit "loose" all morning, not terrible, but not a solid, hooked-up feel like the Bravo/1. When I made my first high-speed pass behind the breakwater, at about 60mph I began to experience a somewhat violent chine walk which seemed to intensify as the speed increased. It became a bit scary so I throttled back at about 64mph and didn't loose the chine walk until I slowed to about 40-45mph.

I have never experienced chine walking before on this boat and the only thing which was different today was the new Rev-4 prop which I was testing. Could this prop have been the cause?
Old 09-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: Can a prop cause chine walk?

Definately,the extra blade is giving you some stern lift causing the back of the boat to loosen up and act funny or chinewalk. My boat did it very noticeably when I first added a nosecone and tried running 4 blade props (272 baja). In my case because I had to run 4 blade props I added full hyd steering to the helm which got rid of it for the most part. If your boat just has stock power and your not shooting for super high speeds just make sure your steering isn't loose or sloppy and avoid props that cause the chinewalk,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Can a prop cause chine walk?-dsc03834.jpg  
Old 10-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can a prop cause chine walk?

articfriends is correct. Your boat obviously does not care for the lift or speed that you are seeing. External steering is one solution or try another 4B that offers different lifting characturistics. Did the Bravo I induce chining?

Julie
Old 10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Can a prop cause chine walk?

More blades will add stern lift. The Revolution 4 propeller will add less stern lift than the Bravo 1. This is due to Its rake angle and diameter. Anytime you go to a new propeller, the handling will change. Your boat is a true V hull and historically likes 3 blade propellers. With additional seat time, you may learn to love this propellers added benefits. Adding hydraulic steering will "tighten" the steering but will not prevent chine walking. Don't let that upgrade give you a false sense of security.

Props do affect chine walking for more reasons than just the number of blades. Seat time will be the best way to prevent chine walking