Best prop for HTM >

Best prop for HTM

Notices

Best prop for HTM

Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stirling
I am also curiuous about whats the best prop,mine is a SR24 too ,I had a 496HO last year which was not enough power for this boat as it ran only 68 mph with strong headwind to get the bow up .
This was with 1,50 :1 and a 26 pitch B1 stock prop at 4800 rpm .
With no headwind it would barely do 60 !
Later I sold the 1,50 :1 ,and bought a new 1,26 :1 XR drive (was a good deal and I had bigger power in mind )
Now the 22P B1 I tried was still to big as I ran 4500 rpm and about 60 mph , and much slower acceleration .
I tried a Q4 Hydro and did not get on plane in any way ,later an offshore 23 pitch ,but still around 4400 rpm,I guessed I needed to wait for the bigger power with this ratio as I had no other props !

The new engine is almost ready for the dyno ,its a 518 ci gen 6 blower engine with hopefully around 800 hp .

Hope I,m now ready to turn a 26 B1 at 5400 rpm ?

A.J
The 26 will give you good baseline data, but may not be the right prop. When my HTM was about 850 HP I used a 28 and a 30 depending how much weight I was running in the boat. If most of your HTM experience is with the 496, it's a whole new animal once its got enough power to make the hull work correctly. And once you have enough power, subtle prop changes drastically change how the boat handles. More than likely a prop "labbed" for your hull and power is your best bet and either of reputable prop guys on here can get you set up.

-Jason
Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by racinjason65
The 26 will give you good baseline data, but may not be the right prop. When my HTM was about 850 HP I used a 28 and a 30 depending how much weight I was running in the boat. If most of your HTM experience is with the 496, it's a whole new animal once its got enough power to make the hull work correctly. And once you have enough power, subtle prop changes drastically change how the boat handles. More than likely a prop "labbed" for your hull and power is your best bet and either of reputable prop guys on here can get you set up.

-Jason
What speed do you see with 850 HP ?
Greg from Cuting Edge made a 5 blade 27 P prop for my buddy,s Sonic here in Europe that work very good ,I was planning to let him make me a correct prop after I have a baseline ,and tried some more props to provide him info .

A.J
Old 02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Registered

What speed do you see with 850 HP ?
Greg from Cuting Edge made a 5 blade 27 P prop for my buddy,s Sonic here in Europe that work very good ,I was planning to let him make me a correct prop after I have a baseline ,and tried some more props to provide him info .

A.J
My boat came with HTM's blown 565 engine that they claim made 850 HP, and when it was brand new it was in Hot Boat magazine and it went 114 mph on radar driven by Greg Shoemaker (who I just had re assemble and dyno my new set up) but he said that was on race gas and he didn't know how much boost. I ran the same engine with 9 lbs of boost and race fuel I went about 116 or 117 mph. With my new set up I'm running faster than that on just 6lbs and pump gas.

Greg made my current props and I'm very happy. It also works out very well that his shop is 10 min from my house so it's easy to pick up and drop off props.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you running a 1,36:1 ratio ? and what drive are you using ?
Mine HTM is a 1998 ,and I had to take the complete floor out because it was pretty badly rotten away ,now its all dry and fresh wood covered with 3 layers glass.
Is yours a Virage build ?
I can send you a pic of mine if you send me your email ,cause I cant post pics in this section ..

A.J
Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Are you running a 1,36:1 ratio ? and what drive are you using ?
Mine HTM is a 1998 ,and I had to take the complete floor out because it was pretty badly rotten away ,now its all dry and fresh wood covered with 3 layers glass.
Is yours a Virage build ?
I can send you a pic of mine if you send me your email ,cause I cant post pics in this section ..

A.J
[email protected]
Mine is a 2002 HTM build with fiberglass floors, I got it 2 years ago and it only had 107 hours on it and had only been used in fresh water in California and Arizona and was always stored inside. So it was in really good condition. It has a modified XR drive with a 1.36 ratio, I'm currently looking for a new drive that can handle my current power.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

i have a 2001 ss24 with an imco sc upper and lower and 1.5 gears. i have the original 565 naturaly asperated and the boat runs 97-98gps consistently turning a 30p bravo 1 labbed at 5600-5650 rpm's im guessing motor makes 650-675hp

Last edited by La/stryker; 05-13-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by La/stryker
i have a 2001 ss24 with an imco sc upper and lower and 1.5 gears. i have the original 565 naturaly asperated and the boat runs 97-98gps consistently turning a 30p bravo 1 labbed at 5600-5650 rpm's im guessing motor makes 650-675hp
That's just about exactly what you should be running. In 2001 Ken Lane was still building all the in house HTM motors and the single carb 565 made 650 Hp. One of my friends has the same motor in a SR24 (which is 6' longer and 4" wider than a SS24) and runs 88-90 mph. With a custom prop you should be able to break 100 mph
Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Registered

Thank's for all the responses i am going to try 3 different props I just bought a 24p Bravo 1 4 blade. I have a Labed 26 and for giggles i have a 22 what kinda of rps should i try to get????? The 6al box has a 6000 chip in it... I am guessing 5950 what do you all think? Does anyone out there have a wiring diagram for an HTM SR24. I got to looking @ the wiring in this boat and its a spaghetti mess I am thinking of calling EZ-ACDC but I don't think they do HP Boats. My Personal email is [email protected]. My fax # is 740 859-3027 for any wiring diagrams... Sorry i been away I was installing my new 5in CMI headers I got out in Havasue last time i was out there... I cried when i had to open up the Wholes in my transom to 5 inches and got a whopping blister on my hand from a 1/2 in drill cutting through the hall. Ouch
Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Registered

I have a 468 CI BB Chevy not a 496 It does have the B&M mega blower And the chiller. I am not sure of the boats history I bought it from a guy in Cleveland OH... Hank was his name. He bought it from some Punk DJ dude in Erie PA who I think hacked up the wiring. He said he was only interested in getting tunes in the boat so he could get out on Lake Erie and get Girls..... Sad to purchase a beautiful boat then Jerry rig it for some stinky Lil split tail then not care of the ramifications later. He ( Erie Boy ) Supposedly had the motor built somewhere but cant remember or just flat out wouldn't tell me but he said the motor was built to withstand 10000 RPM's but the 6al box is chipped @ 6000... So for not knowing truly what i have I am going to take my tine and make the boat better than original All the right color Wiring and some added touches here and there... I am already in touch with all the HP Boat accessory places Dana/Eddie few others. Plus some good ole fashion learning. I will get it right sooner or later and eventually have 1000-1350 HP motor in this boat. the drive will hold it so they say...Its a B-Max poker addition by the way... Those guys @ the new B-max Shop in Cheese Ville USA Wisconsin aren't verry personable and very Pricy and Snobby so when i blow up this b-max i will probably switch over to a different drive but so far the b-max is holding up. my Goal is 125mph but we shall see. I may have to blueprint the hall myself that will be an interesting crash course since i will have to learn to do it myself. Only because i am soooooo tired of BS from people who say they know but really don't and want to charge alot of money to learn on your boat. Not Kewl..... Kinda like going to a whore house. 25,000 for 6seconds of aah but its all GOOD!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Registered

Funny cuz the e-mails between hank and Erie boy state that the engine is putting 750 HP... I dought that. I have an extra smaller pulley but i wont try it till i get my racing gas. there is no #s on either pulley since i don't know what size they are and how they are suppose to perform i could measure them if that would help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.