Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Best prop for HTM >

Best prop for HTM

Notices

Best prop for HTM

Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Falkville AL
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best prop for HTM

Just purchased a used HTM SR24 and am wondering about prop selection? Boat is equiped with a 496 with a B&M super charger & a chiller. All Good stuff inside It Has a B-Max outdrive with 1.30 to 1 Ratio. I am wanting a couple of prop sizes to try. Can i spin a 3 blade for speed or do i have to stick with a 4 blade? Any help is appreciated. Thanks Joshuah
joshuah40 is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 PM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denmark and hopefully some place nice
Posts: 1,852
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

How much power are you making? You definetly want to run something like a B1. Whether or not a 3 blade will even be faster, relies on a few factors. First and foremost the x-dim and whether or not you run a shorty. The 4 blade will also be more stable on that cat. It is very difficult to guess a pitch without knowing the power and the motors power band. What did the boat use to have for power and prop?
Previous GPS speed @ ? rpms ect.?
A.O. Razor is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 PM
  #3  
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 638
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joshuah40 View Post
Just purchased a used HTM SR24 and am wondering about prop selection? Boat is equiped with a 496 with a B&M super charger & a chiller. All Good stuff inside It Has a B-Max outdrive with 1.30 to 1 Ratio. I am wanting a couple of prop sizes to try. Can i spin a 3 blade for speed or do i have to stick with a 4 blade? Any help is appreciated. Thanks Joshuah
What are you running now? If no prop I would start at a 26 labbed b1. Call bblades to test. With your gear ratio I am not sure how small they make a maximus prop, but a 5 blade would be great as well. But start with a b1 for max speed.
GTOFFSHORE is offline  
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 AM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denmark and hopefully some place nice
Posts: 1,852
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Poker has a good idea there. I would say if you run more than 650 hp, the B1 28" might be more interesting to start with and shoot for mid 90's. Remember that the B1 26" is about 25" and the 28" is 27" ect. The Maximus is 23" and up. If you want to try a 5 blade, a 26" Maximus P/N 889964L68 or P/N 889964L67 would be the ones to try. With as many unknowns as you have, you do need to do baseline testing.
A.O. Razor is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 12:56 AM
  #5  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have a HTM sr24 and have tried several props. First I would stick with a 4 blade, a 5 blade may work for you with some lab work but in general they create a lot of transom lift that the HTM hull does not really care for. When my motor made 850 Hp I was running a labbed 30p bravo 1 that also added some bow lift and I was happy with that. Now I am running Cutting Edge Propellers 4 blades, 29p on pump gas ( I love this prop ) and a 32p on race gas which I just got some adjustments made on and will be trying it out in a week or two. In the last few months I have tried 4 blades, 5 blades and clevars and the best all around prop to start off with is a 4 blade. More than likely you will also benefit from labbing to your application, not just speed wise but how the boat handles as well. The HTM does like a little added lift, but too much makes them a little flighty on the top end...
racinjason65 is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
  #6  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 390
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by racinjason65 View Post
I have a HTM sr24 and have tried several props. First I would stick with a 4 blade, a 5 blade may work for you with some lab work but in general they create a lot of transom lift that the HTM hull does not really care for. When my motor made 850 Hp I was running a labbed 30p bravo 1 that also added some bow lift and I was happy with that. Now I am running Cutting Edge Propellers 4 blades, 29p on pump gas ( I love this prop ) and a 32p on race gas which I just got some adjustments made on and will be trying it out in a week or two. In the last few months I have tried 4 blades, 5 blades and clevars and the best all around prop to start off with is a 4 blade. More than likely you will also benefit from labbing to your application, not just speed wise but how the boat handles as well. The HTM does like a little added lift, but too much makes them a little flighty on the top end...
Hey Jason, glad all is well with the HTM. Let me know as soon as you run the 32 so we can get you dialed in on that prop too! Glad you're happy with the 29. I haven't had time to complete the testing on the 29 cleaver yet but as soon as were done, I'll get it to your for further testing!
My Best,
Greg Hittner
Cutting Edge Propellers
ghittner is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
  #7  
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser
 
bbladesprops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Princeton, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,860
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

We've been propping the 24 HTM's since Steve started the co.
Bravo 1 propellers Labbed specific to that hull have been far and away the most common and best performing option.
We have done some stuff with 5 blades that have worked well too. We have actually used Herings and Hydros but the Maximus built with specific diameter and pitch progression has been the better 5 blade option. "X" dimension determine the recipe for either 4 or 5 blades.

A 3 blade prop really isn't the best idea.

Did you know there used to a drag race circuit for the HTM's? Some of those boats were to fast for their own good.

racinjason, welcome to the board.

Brett
__________________
Brett Anderson / BBLADES Professional Propellers
920-295-4435 http://www.bblades.com/
[email protected]
bbladesprops is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 02:35 AM
  #8  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ghittner View Post
Hey Jason, glad all is well with the HTM. Let me know as soon as you run the 32 so we can get you dialed in on that prop too! Glad you're happy with the 29. I haven't had time to complete the testing on the 29 cleaver yet but as soon as were done, I'll get it to your for further testing!
My Best,
Greg Hittner
Cutting Edge Propellers
Greg, I can't wait to get back out and try the 32 again, also if at all possible i'd like to get a cleaver dialed in for the Desert Storm shootout.
Thanks again for all the support!
racinjason65 is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 AM
  #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

[
Originally Posted by bbladesprops View Post
We've been propping the 24 HTM's since Steve started the co.
Bravo 1 propellers Labbed specific to that hull have been far and away the most common and best performing option.
We have done some stuff with 5 blades that have worked well too. We have actually used Herings and Hydros but the Maximus built with specific diameter and pitch progression has been the better 5 blade option. "X" dimension determine the recipe for either 4 or 5 blades.

A 3 blade prop really isn't the best idea.

Did you know there used to a drag race circuit for the HTM's? Some of those boats were to fast for their own good.

racinjason, welcome to the board.

Brett
Thanks, Brett.

It's cool to know you were involved when Steve was still around, he was a great guy.

-Jason
racinjason65 is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 05:47 AM
  #10  
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 531
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

I am also curiuous about whats the best prop,mine is a SR24 too ,I had a 496HO last year which was not enough power for this boat as it ran only 68 mph with strong headwind to get the bow up .
This was with 1,50 :1 and a 26 pitch B1 stock prop at 4800 rpm .
With no headwind it would barely do 60 !
Later I sold the 1,50 :1 ,and bought a new 1,26 :1 XR drive (was a good deal and I had bigger power in mind )
Now the 22P B1 I tried was still to big as I ran 4500 rpm and about 60 mph , and much slower acceleration .
I tried a Q4 Hydro and did not get on plane in any way ,later an offshore 23 pitch ,but still around 4400 rpm,I guessed I needed to wait for the bigger power with this ratio as I had no other props !

The new engine is almost ready for the dyno ,its a 518 ci gen 6 blower engine with hopefully around 800 hp .

Hope I,m now ready to turn a 26 B1 at 5400 rpm ?

A.J

Last edited by stirling; 02-05-2012 at 05:49 AM.
stirling is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.