Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
1998 280 velocity rebuild and updates >

1998 280 velocity rebuild and updates

Notices

1998 280 velocity rebuild and updates

Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

So would you say you picked up some power with the bigger blower?

Lookin good man.....Im guessing you didn't go balls out yet? How much boost is it making?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It defiantly gained!! I went 89 today for a few seconds at 5300. The difference was last time I had to be pretty much wide open for a few seconds. Today I was what seemed like only half throttle just inching the throttle up and holding it. It was like it wasn't working at all to spin that rpm. The cam is good to 5600-5800 so I've read, but I don't feel comfortable going any faster then that as of yet so I didn't push it harder. Again, its like it was just free revving if that makes any since.

As for boost, I was making 3 psi with the 250. I haven't gone wide open throttle yet, but have seen 6 psi through the superchiller. I really like the setup!! I can't wait to get a bigger prop on it!

Last edited by cp5899; 06-12-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Registered

My wife and I went to dinner across the lake today with the new blower setup and everything went great!! Borrowing a 34p bravo 1 tomorrow for the weekend. Was awesome to be out in the boat again.

Here's a few pics taken. Boat is throwing a bigger rooster tail ow then before. I have the drive trimmed to neutral in both pics, but for some reason its kicking water is much higher now then with the b&m 250. Maybe its my imagination, but I don't recall having much rooster tail unless I trimmed up. Either way it looks cool.

Stopped for drinks on the way home.

Last edited by cp5899; 06-14-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Please stop posting because you are going to make me install a blower on my boat! lol Unfortunately I know all to well about not leaving anything alone. I install blowers or turbos on all my combos as well but promised myself I wouldn't do it to this boat. Very tempting.......

Nice job! Looks great!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Registered

You don't know what your missing. :-)

Boost in cars and bikes are great!! In a boat it's just that much more fun!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Registered

Little to update, but I've got a 32p bravo 1 on the way so looking forward to trying it. Also have to address the hatch soon. I got the blower to fit under the hatch but on high speed runs I think the motor is getting starved for air because at start of a run the motor goes to 6-6.5 psi with in a few seconds it drops to 4.5-5. I only have one set of side scoops allowing air to get in. I think with a blower scoop that's going to help allowing more air in. I think I going to mount it backwards to allow hot air to exit the engine bay in turn pulling more fresh air through the side vents.

Any thoughts??

I thought this was a goods picture coming back from making the go pro videos.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Registered

Update time. I got my new 32p bravo 1 prop last night so I changed the outdrive fluid and installed the new prop then headed for the intercostal canal to try the prop before Going out on the boat on Saturday. We cruised cruised for about 15 minutes marking the gains at different rpms and then made a full speed run. Good news is the motor finally had a load on it from the new prop. Speeds at 3400 were at 50 mph, 4200 was 75-76mph. 4200 usually were I cruise at because that seems to be when the prop starts to hook and not slip so bad. 3200-4000 slips a lot for some reason. Now for the wide one run. At wide open I only managed 5000 rpms with the 32p bravo, but I noticed I was barely making 4 psi of boost. I didn't get to see the GPS at that rpm because I was looking out for what looked like a lot of trash in the water. Now, the motor was loaded and it stopped pulling at 5000-5100 rpms and low boost. So to try and test the idea that I was sucking in more air then the ducts could supply my friend and I put a rope across the hatch and opened it 4" while he sat in the back seat to help hold the hatch. We got on plane and made the run and instantly the boost was holding 5.5 psi and the boat came to life. In no time we were at 5400-5500 rpms but had to let out because a barge was headed our way and we were flying so I wanted to give myself a lot of room to slow down. I still didnt get my full boost, but it made a huge difference!! It was still pulling hard and climbing when I started to slow down. After we stopped I put it in neutral and looked in the hatch and noticed the belt was a bit loose so attributed that to the last 1 psi boost loss (6.5 total). So no I'm sure that I need a scoop to help get air in the engine bay. The GPS showed 94, but it was pulling hard and the hand held unit was using is slow to respond. It seems its behind in speed and takes a couple seconds to match the actual speed and since I didn't hold it for much time there I don't think it caught up before I let out. It felt very fast and was charging hard!! That being said the prop worked very good and I was happy with it.

NOW!! The hatch is closed and we go to put it in gear and head back to the truck now that we are 24 Miles away. Slide it into gear and nothing. No clunk, pop or bump. Ok...... Lets try that again. Rpms drop from blower surge, slide into gear and nothing again. Ok, so we have no forward gear??? I tried reverse and it goes in like normal. It's getting late so I have no choice but to go in reverse....lol. I go for about 10 minutes and get passed by a 150-200ft barge. I stopped and tried forward one more time, but this time the lever goes about half way in and starts pulling forward and after a second it slides all the way. Well, I'm going faster forward than in reverse so I leave it and idle back 4 miles to a launch and had someone meet us to bring us to the truck. While my friend is leaving to go get the truck I'm tying the boat to the dock and all the sudden the boat starts to take off. I jump in and kill the motor. After that I got to the dock and waited for the truck and we float the boat on the trailer.

I don't know anything abuout the workings of an outdrive so I watched some videos last night and look at some schematics to try and figure it out or as much as I could without doing it. I talked with Eddie and soon found outi need a lot of special tools so I think I need to start getting some if I'm going to run decent power with a b1.

One thing to note, when I changed the oil it looked good and no chunks on the magnets. When I got home the lower magnet was clean and the top magnet had small chunks on it so apparently the upper is where the problem is.

More to come....
Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Registered

Found the problem. The bearing that sits below the clutch assembly came apart. Not sure what would cause that since this is my first time taking one apart. Everything else looks to be in great shape. Not chips or cracks in anything I can see.

I'm going to replace the bearing assembly and put it back together and give it a shot unless someone has any other advise. I'm trying to figure out a way to flush the lower unit. I'm not finding any pieces in the drive. Just little metallic micro dust in the oil.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Advice... Hmmm

#6??? Lol
Old 06-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Registered

Not on this boat. Lol

I think that drive cost more then my whole boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.