Newbie 21' scarab build

Notices

Newbie 21' scarab build

Old 07-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swiss
Any news on the fuel issue?
Ran it again yesterday. Borrowed a 25p mirage boat ran 59.2. Full tank of gas cooler and 4 people on the boat. Still won't rev past 5500. But I did some looking on lstech last night and found out that the msd comes shipped with the limiter set at 5500 so I guess that's the problem. Gotta hook my lab top to it and change it. It's just weird I've never seen a rev limiter make a engine back fire thru carb... Still doesn't explain the lean condition. I even went to next size power valve no change. Boat runs so good other wise I forgot to check fuel pressure. I'll use my go pro and check it this weekend.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is hitting the limiter I would assume it would do some crazy stuff with A/F
Old 08-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the alpha hold past 5500? I always thought that was about max for rpm in those.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sdg0080
Will the alpha hold past 5500? I always thought that was about max for rpm in those.
Haha I guess I'll find out. I stripped the gears out last weekend. Got another one gonna put it on this weekend and raise the limiter. This one is 1.5 ratio so I'll see what happens.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha... I love your way of thinking.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the only way to do it with an alpha. Keep one or 2 good ones sitting around. If you break it, take it home and throw another on. Then your back in the water in 1.5 hrs.

Just an idea. I ended up finding a good boat with a bravo on it for 5,000. I bought the boat and did the swap. It was very easy and didn't take long. It was cheaper then buying all the stuff for the bravo. Also you get to see where it all goes and how it's routed. Not to mention then you can resell the other boat and recoup your money. A bravo swap for nothing essentially. Good luck with the other alpha.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DBleil89
It's the only way to do it with an alpha. Keep one or 2 good ones sitting around. If you break it, take it home and throw another on. Then your back in the water in 1.5 hrs.

Just an idea. I ended up finding a good boat with a bravo on it for 5,000. I bought the boat and did the swap. It was very easy and didn't take long. It was cheaper then buying all the stuff for the bravo. Also you get to see where it all goes and how it's routed. Not to mention then you can resell the other boat and recoup your money. A bravo swap for nothing essentially. Good luck with the other alpha.

Yea that's a good idea. Is the transom cut out the same? I just need to add two holes at the top? Idk what to do the boat needs a transom. It's got some rot around the exhaust. And on the bottom it's cracked on both sides of the pad. When I take it out of the water, water drips out the cracks so I think there some de lamination going on. Idk wether to take it all apart this winter redo it with bravo bore the 5.3 to 5.7 with a supercharger. Or just sell the boat now. I Got someone that would buy it now.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Transom hole is the same, and so is the inside plate of the transom assembly. You just need to drill the top 2 holes. I used the inside plate for the template. Then you bolt the bravo outside assembly onto the back of the boat. Allign the motor with the new gamble and then start hooking up the new water system.

I have a different perspective then some on the glass work. I put a whole stringer, transom, and floor in a Century arabian for my first boat. It wasn't bad. Alot of time to do it right and it can get expensive.

If you like the boat and you did this much work I would put a transom in it and keep it. Buy fiberglass mat on line. I bought a bunch for the arabian off of eBay really cheap. I haven't seen those deals recently though. Also I buy aero marine epoxy 3 gallons at a time. I just bought some gel epoxy, I can't remember the brand, that worked great for vertical prices since it doesn't run. Also you can buy the pigment color which works well

All in all its your call. I like to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Unless the price is to good to pass up, or your done with the boat I would keep and make it better then the factory.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Registered

well.
got me a 1.5 and hit my best speed.... 61... it didn't last long though. me and some boating friends did a 80 mile run from west point on the York river to new point lighthouse in the Chesapeake bay. I was about 10 miles from being back at landing running about 4500 and waaabamooo!!! blew up another drive. worst part was I was about half mile infront of every one and not in the center of the river I stood on the bow waving and all of my friends passed right by me! (4 boats) of course they didn't see the cell ringing until they made it back to landing.... yea it was a long night.....

this time I think it was my fault. I topped the drive reservoir off that morning and forgot to put the cap back on. when we got to the bay, (about 40 miles) I checked and found the cap was off oil had been blown every where. I filled it back up and replaced the cap but I guess there was and air pocket in the drive because the oil level never went down that night. when i looked at it the next morning it was empty. pulled the top off the alpha and it was empty to. i really wasn't happy with the way the boat turned out. the transom has some soft spots the are under engine is delaminating, the interior looks like crap. so i decided to completely take it back apart again and fix the rot the right way.
i got a nice low hour bravo off ebay. i think its around 1990-1991. also my swim platform from extreme marine showed up. shout out to larry there this thing is very nice!

this is a video i took of my friend driving the boat when i put the 1.50 on it

you can see where she broke

the tide pulled us out quite a bit while waiting for rescue
Old 09-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Registered

here the video i took of my friend driving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.