Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Saber
28 Saber Wanted >

28 Saber Wanted

Notices

28 Saber Wanted

Old 06-16-2022, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Well that was short lived. Other deal fell through and realized I was making a mistake. Sorry for the false hope!
Old 06-17-2022, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you get any offers for the short time of soft listing? Trying to gauge the interest in these boats.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by mackey147
Well that was short lived. Other deal fell through and realized I was making a mistake. Sorry for the false hope!
Well you still got a great boat there... no real loss!
Old 06-21-2022, 11:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Did you get any offers for the short time of soft listing? Trying to gauge the interest in these boats.
No formal offers but did have about 3 different people reach out and show interest.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not this year, but I will try to make next year. That would be a first for me, LOTO and shootout, always been on the bucket list though. Where is "the" place to stay with docks and pool and party, etc. and how far ahead should I book? Any other Sabers on the lake? I'd love to do one of those Saber rally's if they ever have one again. Michigan during late summer on my bucket list as well.
My family has a Lake House at LOTO and I still rent a House and a Slip at Captain Ron's (Where the Shootout is based out of) because we are in the middle of everything. Plus I don't have to worry about a 40 mile boat ride to and from the Shootout everyday. Really you can stay just about anywhere. A Lot of people stay at Margaritaville Resort or any number of resorts down the lake. But be advised that there is a No Wake that starts at the 21mm (I think) and goes all the way to the Shootout 34mm.
No other Sabers at LOTO that I know of unless someone brings one in town for the Weekend.
Feel free to reach out to me if you do decide to come to the Shootout and I'll help any way I can!!
Old 08-23-2022, 02:02 PM
Registered

Thanks for the LOTO tips.

Saw a sweet little 24 Saber for sale on Facebook in New Jersey for $13K today. Looks like it's in great shape, single engine too. Don't see many of those. I'd of bought it if I didn't have mine already.

I've secured a zero hour rebuilt pair of Merc 500HP's, now 509/540hp, just waiting for dyno and then delivery hopefully. Finally got some rain and cooler temps here in TX so will start work here shortly after my busy tax season dies down at work. First step is to get rid of old speedo hardware dragging on transom, fill in the holes, and give the transom a buff job before I start putting it back together. Sourced a local painter that works with imron so can get the tabs re-painted before they go on.

I was going to get stainless marine exhaust manifolds with high risers for the 500HPs. Anybody running those? If so, what length tails did you get? 4 1/2in? Or 5in? I've never had to buy or measure exhaust pipes.
Old 08-23-2022, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks for the LOTO tips.

Saw a sweet little 24 Saber for sale on Facebook in New Jersey for $13K today. Looks like it's in great shape, single engine too. Don't see many of those. I'd of bought it if I didn't have mine already.

I've secured a zero hour rebuilt pair of Merc 500HP's, now 509/540hp, just waiting for dyno and then delivery hopefully. Finally got some rain and cooler temps here in TX so will start work here shortly after my busy tax season dies down at work. First step is to get rid of old speedo hardware dragging on transom, fill in the holes, and give the transom a buff job before I start putting it back together. Sourced a local painter that works with imron so can get the tabs re-painted before they go on.

I was going to get stainless marine exhaust manifolds with high risers for the 500HPs. Anybody running those? If so, what length tails did you get? 4 1/2in? Or 5in? I've never had to buy or measure exhaust pipes.
I just tried to buy a set of those exact exhausts - no luck. Stainless Marine doesn't have any manifolds and it's months away before they will.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:54 PM
Registered

Thanks for the tip on exhaust. Anybody in Lake Havasu, AZ area willing to look at some exhaust manifolds for me and do a pressure check?

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 08-24-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:30 AM
Registered

If anyone is looking, I finally ended up finding a new boat and have decided to let my Saber go. 1990 28 with twin outboards.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:31 PM
Registered

After a brief hiatus I am back full boar on the project. My father passed away in October after a short battle with Leukemia, all very unexpected. Was less than two months from diagnosis to passing. I worked with him for 15 years, we were very close.

Couldn't complete transaction on fresh 500HPs. Was lucky to find a good buyer selling a pair of low hour 2000'ish 502 Mag EFI's for a great price and finally got them this week. I am looking for some aftermarket exhaust manifolds if anyone knows of some available but can use stock ones until then. I figured I'll try out the 502 Mags and if I need more speed then I've got a good platform. Thank you to my friend Matt (TXHawk) for helping with shipping, he is an incredibly gifted boatsman and craftsman and offered to help again... as if my 28 Apache project about 15 years ago didn't take enough of his time.

I ordered a new swim platform from West Coast Offshore Unlimited (Aluminum Metal Products) and expect completion by February. I went with a high gloss grey to match existing grey stripes on the boat and got the newer modern version with slanted corners and moon patterns you see on most newer cigarettes. I've also found a mobile mechanic to move the project along faster.

I've coated the exposed wood in transom assembly cutouts and large thru bolt holes with resin to help preserve the transom. Removed the speedo and filled in holes since I wasn't going to use anyway and didn't want to have to clean around the wires if I didn't have too, looks a little cleaner too. Need to add some gelcoat to holes I've filled, buff the transom, and should be ready for transom assemblies by next week. I found a local custom painter that does imron and dropped off the outdrives and K-planes to strip and add a fresh coat of imron, which should be done by next week. Gears looked pretty good on the drives so figured I'd run them as is. Got lucky on transom assemblies, owner put in new HP gimbal rings that have yet to see water. Going to replace cables, fuel and hydraulic hoses. My boy is 8 and really getting into it all, always wants to help.

Thinking I'd like to get trimsync for drives and tabs because I think it makes it easier and safer to drive. Anybody have experience with trimsync?
The following 2 users liked this post by TexomaPowerboater:
jbraun2828 (01-15-2023), offshoredrillin (01-15-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.