Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto >

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 02-19-2017, 03:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 476 Posts

If this thread was a book, I think I'd be tempted to flick forward to the last 4-5 pages.. .... Much better to follow the story from day one.
Thanks for posting, it's not just interesting but also educational for dummies like me.

RR
Old 02-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

I really like the boat thread. I have restored a couple of boats and just found this to fix my scarab.It is call a Festool Sander. Just a really good sander with vacuum and get a dust deputy, see links.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/produ...oDOBoCJZDw_wcB

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...6-1648e6f2487b

After i gOt all the grease up and I went over every bit of the inside of boat with it. Cleans and braids. Also run a drywall bag in the vacuum and you will be on your way.

Best of luck.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
Everything's ok, I've been busy the last 3 months or so with work and other stuff. The shops been crazy busy. I am getting geared up to work on it now. I talked to rick at arneson this morning about my setup. I will be needing extension boxes. I wanted to confirm I'm good to go ahead and put the engine bay stringers back like they were and the transom back blank before I will need the boxes.

I bought this from a guy on one of the Facebook powerboat groups. I had it framed at hobby lobby and have it hanging in the office now. Such an awesome job and a really cool looking boat. A kaama tribute boat with a full cockpit would be cool...

I liked that print so much I ordered one for myself. It'll go next to my two others. Thanks for that link![ATTACH=CONFIG]565031[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]565032[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-cig.jpg   Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-cig2.jpg  
Old 03-15-2017, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pics and great work nice interior work on the 30 looks good.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 284 Posts

We've been busyy helping my brother on his (drumroll please).... rotten boat. Yep yet another rotten boat. He's got a 91 chaparral with rotten floors, transom stringers. We're putting it back together now. We should have it done in a few weeks.
We worked on the 38 some today. We cut some more of the floor out. This has been in the dry for almost a year, and there was still some water under the floor.

Cutting some floor out to check out the stringers in fromt of the cockpit. They're rotten too.

Some old bald dude.i do not recognize him...

Shon giving the sawzall a go...

Rot in the #3 bulkhead. Both sides. This is the next bulkhead forward of the front cockpit bulkhead..

Forward floor. Still wet a year later...
Old 03-18-2017, 10:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks cyrus77, keeping the dust down is not easy to do is it? we have a central vacuum system and the boat is sitting next to some big exhaust fans which helps keep the dust down that way. Still the itchy scratchers are inevitable working all this fiberglass.

Last edited by hblair; 03-18-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

More done today. I got the transom cleaned up and bonded the outer 3/4" plywood. Pulled in there nice and tight...

Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Welp, long story short, apparently the resin I used was old, it didn't harden. Pulled the piece out tonight, cleaned it up and did it again. This time with fresh stuff mixed a little hotter. Should be able to get the other piece in tomorrow...

Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 373 Likes on 251 Posts

Nice work! Starting to come together!!!
Last time i did one, i glassed the 2 parts of wood together for the transom and then glued it on to the inner transom. Why do it in 2 steps? Any pros? Any cons to this?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks Jeff, I'm thinking I'll have a better chance of getting the wood to stick to the transom this way as well as keeping the correct shape of the transom. The transom has a little outward crown to it, and I'm thinking if I had bonded the wood together then bonded it to the transom it might have "flattenened" the transom out and therefore wouldn't fit the deck when the time comes for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.