Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
I tracked it down! After 12 years.. 38 Raider fellas. >

I tracked it down! After 12 years.. 38 Raider fellas.

Notices

I tracked it down! After 12 years.. 38 Raider fellas.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 645 Likes on 298 Posts

For us European transplants it's with great fondness we remember the amazing Renato 'Sonny' Levi's offshore racing boats from mainly the '60s and early '70s. His delta design was the ultimate in dealing with heavy seas and still get fabulous top speed. The Falcon boats were not a Levi design, but they sure were delta designs. How this Falcon 38 Bonito ended up in Texas from the U.K. hopefully the owner knows, but one thing is for sure; this would be quite a fantastic boat for some youngster on a budget who'd like to take part in the Southern Florida party boating scene. Make sure the transom is solid, beef it up some more, sell the Bridgeports to a handy fanatic, stick twin ECU flashed Verados on her, add mego stereo, bimini, and a cool vinyl wrap and You're a contender for some attention.

The Falcon Royale and Bonito were good performing hulls and did well in Production class racing in Great Britain in the '80s. They made some pleasure boats too with lots of amenities. This one is somewhere in between. Maybe not the choice for us that like the classic flatdeck gentleman high-performance offshore boats, but certainly interesting.

https://www.popyachts.com/high-perfo...texas-r2-67608

Last edited by larslindroth; 07-17-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by larslindroth
For us European transplants it's with great fondness we remember the amazing Renato 'Sonny' Levi's offshore racing boats from mainly the '60s and early '70s. His delta design was the ultimate in dealing with heavy seas and still get fabulous top speed. The Falcon boats were not a Levi design, but they sure were delta designs. How this Falcon 38 Bonito ended up in Texas from the U.K. hopefully the owner knows, but one thing is for sure; this would be quite a fantastic boat for some youngster on a budget who'd like to take part in the Southern Florida party boating scene. Make sure the transom is solid, beef it up some more, sell the Bridgeports to a handy fanatic, stick twin ECU flashed Verados on her, add mego stereo, bimini, and a cool vinyl wrap and You're a contender for some attention.

The Falcon Royale and Bonito were good performing hulls and did well in Production class racing in Great Britain in the '80s. They made some pleasure boats too with lots of amenities. This one is somewhere in between. Maybe not the choice for us that like the classic flatdeck gentleman high-performance offshore boats, but certainly interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrQayjr58Ac

https://www.popyachts.com/high-perfo...texas-r2-67608

Great history! Ugly boat!
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (07-20-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 01:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy

Here's my '82 Mistress someday maybe Twin ob's .....The old skool cigs sure do have the lines to carry loopers.

Mistresses have always been one of my favorites. Jon Hollis has Bob Schaefer’s old 77 Lady of the Lake. Probably the most period correct vintage Cigarette I’ve seen in a while. I’m a Ciggy guy at heart and loved mine; just didnt fit in with out desire to boat frequently and keep something on a mooring.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rhythm and Blues:
larslindroth (07-20-2021), scippy (07-19-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scarab 26 sportster chat?

Originally Posted by Rhythm and Blues
I dunno, this has happened twice now. Couple months ago I went to look at an original 91 Scarab Sport in MD, I asked specific questions about the deck; was told it was solid. I drove 10hrs, took my shoes off and started walking on the deck and it was toast. That guy was a strait up liar.. I had to gather myself up and gracefully get the **** out of there.. This past trip I’m not sure. I dont have the owner pegged.
Twin O/B sport boats are starting to be my nemesis..
Spoiler

Old 03-25-2022, 09:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 479 Posts

Saw this on S & F for sale, looks super nice….
(click the link for more details and more pics)

https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...arab-Raider-34

P.S. yes, I know the thread is a little old now but we still like boats don’t we?

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 03-25-2022 at 10:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rak rua:
hblair (03-26-2022), larslindroth (03-26-2022), speicher lane (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
P.S. yes, I know the thread is a little old now but we still like boats don’t we?

RR
Hey, I wouldn't apologize - someone is always lurking and looking for something
The following 2 users liked this post by speicher lane:
larslindroth (03-28-2022), rak rua (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
How fast was a Scarab with the base 330hp 454's? just comparing the I/O drive train loss/ and extra weight vs. the O/B's..

definitely a concept that was ahead of it's time.
My 83 340III with 330s, 420 original hours sees about 53 on GPS.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (03-28-2022)