Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
skater prices >

skater prices

Notices

skater prices

Old 10-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think the weight difference between a 40 and a 46 is?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
What do you think the weight difference between a 40 and a 46 is?
not sure off hand. i am just going off that the 40 was hooked up to a ford 350 in some pics the guy sent me so i figured i would be able to haul it to my shop from CT. and all the 46's were hooked up to semi's and 5500's etc.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I started to jump to conclusions I would get the hard numbers. You might be surprised ... I don't know the answer but I'm will to bet they are not that far apart. With the type of materials that skaters uses to build there boats and 2 engines and same rigging in both boats....
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

MiniHawk Sam?

Last edited by boatnt; 10-23-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
Before I started to jump to conclusions I would get the hard numbers. You might be surprised ... I don't know the answer but I'm will to bet they are not that far apart. With the type of materials that skaters uses to build there boats and 2 engines and same rigging in both boats....
totally agree with you. i wouldnt think they were that far off either i mean, its only 6 feet. and im not going out and dropping 40k on a boat tomorrow, i am doing some research and ive searched all of craigslist, OSO, PBL, etc etc and just figured i would try the skater section for a price. if i can work a decent deal on this 40 i think im going to build it up and hit the miami boat show with a bang. obviously i know its more than showing up and saying i want to display something... but thats down the road. right now i just need to find some general numbers. as to what kind of profit i could see
Old 10-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
yes, i know exactly what they cost to run. i have business plan in place and ways to bring revenue to run them. i am researching, ive been building boats and jetskis, and bikes for years. everyone was custom 1 off. i always sell them quick and make a profit. i am not just any 19 year old kid. non the less not what im looking for. i think i may have came across wrong in the original post. i am starting a shop that will restore, modify, flip, fix heavily damaged, high end boats. i have a way of fixing hulls with different technology through our family business that other top notch facilities wont touch. i have been working for some years under other glass repair places along with my own projects. i know what im getting into fully. ive been around boats my whole life, (not race boats) but many types of boats. i am not looking to buy a power boat for me to run with my buddies across the lake... i am looking for boats to find, fix, customize, run it for a month or so until i sell it, then move onto the next. maybe run a poker run or two up at my cottage where My Way and Aquamania reside to market my business.

all i am asking is ROUGHLY what could these boats sell for. high and low side of the scale because mostly all i see selling or for sale are 2004+ All i am really asking. but to answer your question, your completely right, if i was looking at a boat to buy and run and race, it would be way over my head. i researched boat #1 a bit because it was an old race boat that got hit, what i could find was that it was having mechanical difficulty when it got hit. so i am looking more at the 40 right now. also because i would be able to haul the 40 and not need to hire a semi to get the 46 to my shop... but if someone has sold a similar boat or of the sort i would love to have some input.
thanks guys
There's two people that come to mind on here that you should ask: Johnny Saris and Ryan Beckley. They could tell you what to look for and have some leads on boats. Others that you might want to talk to are the major brokers in the nation as they will have a good pulse on the market. You need to be specific on which boats to be able to judge. Engine and drive rebuilds on the kind of boat your talking about could eat up any money you hope to make very fast. I like your enthusiasm for doing such a project and I wish you the best of luck.

Also keep in mind that boats with a bad history will sit and go unsold unless they are priced aggressively. The performance boat community is tight knit so it's easy to find out if a boat has had some issues in the past.

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 10-24-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Registered

thanks Plowtownmissle, ok, so if you would look at mixed emotions for sale in the sale section. with the huge hole in the hull. that was boat #1... i have a way to fix that boat very cheap for me, and well, that would be the biggest project to date, but if i could fix the hull soundly, and turn it into a SWEEEET pleasure boat, do you think just because of its history no one would want it? or if it is fixed and proven strong would people look past it? i know thats asking to speak for many people but whats your opinion on that? i am not going to do the 46' so i figured it would be ok to post up now.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

If the engines checked out on that 46, I don't think you would get hurt on it if the project didn't work out because you could part it out and PROBABLY get your money back out of it. As for fixing it up, ask GlassDave or Peter at Skater on what their thoughts are on doing the repair and pleasure conversion. Jim Lee's 46 Freedom US1 is a race boat converted to a pleasure boat so he would also be a good person to ask about what all is needed to be done.

This message board has a lot of good resources on it. Contact the people who would know exactly what you'd be in for and ask their opinion. That'll be the best way to get your answers.

My personal opinion is that on whatever boat you buy for your project, make sure to figure up what the parts that are included with it are worth so that if things don't work out you can still part out the damaged hull and get your money back out of it.

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 10-24-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

another thing to consider - even with Skater there is no such thing as a fast turnover for a fast buck.

Every Skater is a custom to the owners preference from power to paint... and to sell it - ya' need the one buyer that is willing to part with their $$$$ on a luxury and have their idea or tasteful custom work with yours.Especially on an older project hull..

Even on the latest and greatest Skater - they are in the classifieds for some time.......
Old 10-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
MiniHawk Sam?

Or maybe a lost Sunkin offspring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.