Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
New 318 Flatdeck Widebody Outboard build. >

New 318 Flatdeck Widebody Outboard build.

Notices

New 318 Flatdeck Widebody Outboard build.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastybug
Only Problem with the fabled 400s is they are still fabled. They have been being talked about for years. There are a lot of people on here who know more about it than me. Im new. Something is on the horizon and has been for a while. Everybody claims to have some kind of info. All I can say is my boat is ready for them if they show. And thats all I can say about that. Mums the word.
Did you see the article on PBN?
Old 01-18-2015, 02:43 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Did you see the article on PBN?
Hey Pre, Ive seen a lot of posts in reference to these motors but it seems like they range from recent to a while back. I am a believer. The fact that I am in a position to purchase this 308 at all makes me an optimist and I feel very fortunate to be part of your club. I believe they are not far off. I have specific reasons for that but can't say. I also know that anybody can be very wrong at any time. I would love to see it. Please point me in the direction. Maybe Im stupid. Can you be more specific PBN? Burned a lot of brain cells in college. Ha and thanx. Steve.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the 400's are the motor of choice for sure. Based on the sheer size of your boat and the weight of the motors 120mph might be a little tough for real world every day conditions. The motors will weigh close to 700lbs with no tie bars or steering plates. A 30 with stock 300xs's runs 100mph and with 300x motors 110 or so. The 300x is around 480lbs.
It is really going to interesting to see the wide tunnel generates any more lift/speed.
We should start a pool! LOL. I am guessing around 115mph.
You will have a beautiful boat no matter how fast it is.
Keep us posted.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:48 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pre found the post you were talking about. Thank you very much.
Hi Double R, You are probably correct. There are so many different variables involved in my build. The windshield scrubs speed. The widened body may add speed. The new motors weigh 150 to 200 lbs more a piece than the 300XSs if and when they come out. Plus the whole transom is different with no notch and extension brackets being used.Think I would be happy with 115mph for a bit. 120mph would be great and might quench my thirst forever. Only time will tell. If they come out before delivery on my boat Im also hesitant to grab them because of the whole new thing even if I could get them. But I think if all the stars in the universe align and they come out and I can get a set I would probably take them. I would almost have to right. Ha. Rather than run 300s for a year and replace them in 2016.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastybug
Only Problem with the fabled 400s is they are still fabled. They have been being talked about for years. There are a lot of people on here who know more about it than me. Im new. Something is on the horizon and has been for a while. Everybody claims to have some kind of info. All I can say is my boat is ready for them if they show. And thats all I can say about that. Mums the word.
My inside Intel says new higher powered mercury racing outboard will be introduced at miami boat show this February. I have no reason to doubt him. It will be interesting to see exactly what hp and price tag
Nastybug your timing seems to be perfect, for setting your new skater up with the latest from mercury racing

Last edited by davidmercury; 01-18-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Nasty- should be good either way!! Can't wait to see your boat when it is done.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:29 AM
Registered

It is coming. Based on my intel from more than one source. It is 400hp, Sportmaster available and a version of the 350hp Verado. No pricing but speculation to be 27k retail. Big question is warranty and how do they plan to handle the steering for a 100+mph cat. Front tie bars only not very good in my book.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

I really like your paint renderings Steve - it looks great! And I agree with a few others on here, keep it simple with the blues/silvers/greys/whites/blacks. If you add purple it could really hurt resale. I get compliments on both my Skaters all the time for their clean, classic colors/looks. It's easy to get excited and take your paint over-the-top when you're going through the process, but do yourself a favor and refrain from doing it. Keep it how it is in the renderings - it's beautiful! As for your motor situation, I would guess that the new 400s will be available by the time your boat's in rigging. I think you're crazy to not put a set on it - as long as Pete is good with it. I know he said he'd never put a set of Verados on one of his boats (and never did), so I don't know how he's going to feel about this new hot-rod 400 which is based on the Verado. Even if you have to wait a little while for the motors, steering systems, whatever - just be patient and wait for it all to come together. Re-rigging is a pain-in-the-ass, and it's very costly - you're way better off to do it right the first time. Just remember to mount everything you can up under the deck if you do put a set of those 400s on the back. The boat will not be balanced very well if you don't. I'd love to see the results of your build with those new motors - my guess is it would be solidly in the teens! What a great boat it will be, either way!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
It is coming. Based on my intel from more than one source. It is 400hp, Sportmaster available and a version of the 350hp Verado. No pricing but speculation to be 27k retail. Big question is warranty and how do they plan to handle the steering for a 100+mph cat. Front tie bars only not very good in my book.
gotta be people in line for these in the know already...he!! they're probably sitting in boxes just waiting for the Thursday unveiling to hang them on a new boat....NASTY are you holding out on us??? LOL.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Registered

Mercury has boats in the water running the engines for the show! There will also be motors on display on boats as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.