32 Skater Project AKA Beat Dad

Notices

32 Skater Project AKA Beat Dad

Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossman
Raymo1979
Not disagreeing with your statement just curious as to why you would prefer No. 6 over surface drives? Thanks!
There are a few 32A with 6's and they seem to run well and since the boat had 6's on it before setup shouldn't be a big deal. just my opinion tho
Old 01-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I think I am computer challenged lol. This private message thing is not working for me.
What is your emails address. Looking for $8500 per side complete.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Raymo
I somewhat agree! I will have to dig into it more and find some dimensions on transom assemblies between the two. I have a hard time dropping 30k for drives that have more moving internal parts vs 15-20k for an “indestructible” drive that should gain me less drag thus better top speed. I also like the idea of the prop being 3’ behind the boat. I would love to ride in a 32A with 6’s and a 32A with Surface drives. My fathers 40’ has Arnesons and is a dream to drives. Kind of comparing apples and pairs here but I feel that some attributes would transfer over to the 32. I appreciate everyone’s input I’m not genius and love learning new things!

Pro1

Email:
[email protected]

Phone:
616405406four
Text or phone call either way

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Registered

I built some carts that support the boat under the strike just as the trailer does. I was going to put these under the boat to get it as low as possible to the ground to be able to rig the motors inside the 14’ tall ceiling barn.

I built them to fit any cat. The uprights can be slid in and out To achieve the perfect tunnel width. After building them I was messing around before paint and figured shoot they would work for a V bottom boat as well if the uprights were put on oppsing sides and the 4X4 placed on the inside of the angle iron. I have yet to test them yet. Only thing I wish I would have done is put bigger casters on them. They are 3” and rated to 1000lbs - bigger casters never hurt

Living in Michigan I didn’t want to store the trailer outside for the winter as I have work to do on it yet and didn’t want to accumulate too much surface rust. To be able to put the motors in I took the axles out from under neath the trailer
Old 01-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Registered

Notice how close the top of the I-Beam attachment is to the garage door frame

Aluminum stringer brackets from skater along with the motor mounts

There was a compound angle on the driveshaft. From the trasom assembly heading towards the flywheel the driveshaft has an UPWARDS angle and an OUTWARDS angle. I did not want to go through U-Joints every other ride and have vibrations throughout so I took the motor mounts to the shop and started hacking away. Dad came over and lended a huge hand in thinkin how to move the motors around to not only get better driveshaft angles but also lower the COG.

Last edited by Rossman; 01-07-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Registered

The guy who got my into boating, snowmobiling, dirtbiking, and wrenching! Dads got the 40 that I’d like have a few MPH on

Some friends came over to check the progress out and lend a hand- Thanks Mike, Logan, Nate, John, and Joe

I’ll just leave this here for a bit. More pics to come of the inside
Old 01-08-2019, 08:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Sydwayz
I agree with the boat being as close to the trailer as possible - some of the launches up north in Michigan completely suck though. I’ve watched many 36’ and up trailers scrape the ground half way down the launch from being so low. I will have to find a happy medium
thanks for the input!
You can always put a rise hitch on the truck at the ramp if it has a terrible/steep cutover angle. Also, something that works is going across the cutover angle (top of the ramp) at a 45* angle. It may still scrape, but you shouldn't high-center and lose traction on the truck. I've had to do this with 37' ATs before on a crappy ramp in Miami.

And since you are doing so much trailer modifications, one of the worst things to happen is to drop all the axles of the trailer OFF the end of the ramp. As such, some folks have had custom "triangles" welded onto the trailer just forward of the front axle. That way you can drop the truck in 4-low, and drag the front axle back onto the ramp using the "triangle" to lift the trailer.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Registered

Sydwayz
everything you said is spot on. I would like the think I’m not too long yet where I need to add the triangle. All the places I went with my old 32’ Velocity I will hit up with the skate. If the trailer does fall off the back side of the ramp I’ll send a buddy down with some ratchet straps and use the buoyancy of the boat to lift it back up

I've also heard it’s great for the launch if you just start the boat and put the sticks to the dash. Should help get some momentum going LOl!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Registered

I made some phone calls today to Dave @ Custom Touch Graphics and to Leon @ Derebery Proformance.
both were very helpful and great to talk to!

The cool stuff I learned today:
Junkman was originally a 525SC - bravo boat and then Henry (unknown last name) bought it and brought it to Derebery performance where it got 572 CI and 1471 BDS blowers making 1250HP. Dave from Custom Touch Graphics did the paint on the boat he said if he could remember correctly that was around 2000-2001. The goal was to hold the record for fastest bravo boat at LOTO. It didn't even make it half the run before a bravo blew. It then got the merc No.6 drives and was a poker / pleasure run boat that mostly ran in Desert Storm, LOTO, and many other poker runs. I was told the boat ran 165MPH with the No. 6's.
-1.24 Drive ratio
-34 pitch 15 3/4 diameter props
-Spinning in

Said the boat handles like **** and porpoises with the props spinning out

The not so cool stuff I learned today:
The boat was sitting in the bottom of the lake tied up to a dock with the front of the sponsons still above water

Im not sure if either Dave or Leon are on OSO, but if you ever read this I appreciate all of your time and information!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Sydwayz
everything you said is spot on. I would like the think I’m not too long yet where I need to add the triangle. All the places I went with my old 32’ Velocity I will hit up with the skate. If the trailer does fall off the back side of the ramp I’ll send a buddy down with some ratchet straps and use the buoyancy of the boat to lift it back up

I've also heard it’s great for the launch if you just start the boat and put the sticks to the dash. Should help get some momentum going LOl!
I've done the trick of using the drives from the boat to assist up the ramp more times than I can count, but only with Pat from AT in the boat, and me in the truck. That ramp at 14th Street in Pompano can get slicker than frog snot on a low tide, and sometimes even with 4WD on the truck, having the props turning makes a significant difference. It sure makes a crap to of noise though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.