Sonic or Active Thunder >

Sonic or Active Thunder

Notices

Sonic or Active Thunder

Old 11-12-2001, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sonic or Active Thunder

Looking for some info. I am traveling to Ft. Lauderdale over Thanksgiving to visit the Sonic and Active Thunder factories. We plan on taking rides in each and touring the factories. At the end of the trip we plan on making a descision and purchasing either a 386 or a 37 Active Thunder. I know the Thunder will kick the Sonics transom, but speed is only part of the picture. We have two very small kids and like to use our boat as an RV. We spend weekends and take week long vacations on the boat so creature comforts are also important. We have the boats equipped equally with gen-set, A/C, fridge, microwave, etc., along with 500HP EFI's. I want some speed. Any comments, opinions would be appreciated.

Dano, you are not allowed to comment
Old 11-12-2001, 09:08 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

You really came to the wrong forum for an unbiased opinion!! Thunder builds a great boat, mostly because they copied Sonic. If family space is a priority the 386 is the obviouse choice. It has a lot of room. the Thunders notched deck is fantastic looking, but takes up cabin head room. I guess my best advice on picking between 2 equally well built boats is to decide if space and comfort is #1, or if speed is #1. Buy the 386 with the next notch up in power over what you would get in the Thunder!!! Its only money !
Old 11-12-2001, 09:30 PM
CelticPride

I have to agree with Go4Broke. I have a Sonic 31ss which I love. I have been to the Active Thunder facility and think they make a great boat also. They are very similar. The 386 is an awesome boat. There are in fact, a couple low hour used ones in NY I think that have 525Sci's and are sweet.

Old 11-13-2001, 08:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
I have a 26' Sonic, and I absolutely love it. I have been around quite a few of the larger boats, and look to upgrade to a 38' something in the next season or two. I had always thought the Sonic was nice, but Cigarette would be a better class of boat in a 38' range. I was completely changed when I saw the 386 at the Annapolis boat show. That boat is amazing. Impeccable design and function. The fit, finish, and rigging are perfect. I really like the 386 a lot. I have also been on a 37' AVH, and that boat is amazing too. I have not ridden on either; but I do not think you can go wrong with either boat. The main thing is the price savings by not buying that round oval that says Cigarette on it. I love Cigarettes; don't get me wrong, but I am not sure I need to buy one to have that caliber of boat. The Sonic and the AT are both right up there. Right now, I have to vote Sonic 386 for ya.

Brian
Old 11-15-2001, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I just wanted to say one thing about you Sonic guys, you all are a class act Everything you said is true, the only addition to the new A.T. is their new cabins 5-11" and will be very close to detail of the 37 Outerlimits Stiletto. Like I mentioned in the A.T. Forum I liked a little more speed vs 2 more inches of headroom (Sonic) and 1 1/2" freeboard. Sonics are also great boats and I hope to see all you guys next year at some poker runs, and good luck to you H2oWarrior
Old 11-16-2001, 05:51 PM
cliff

I replied on thunder site because there was no topic on Sonic room when I replyed. Good luck on your choice and hope to see you in a Sonic. If you are dealing with Dano you will get great service and someone that will not blow a bunch of smoke up your butt. I trust Dano and have been treated with the best service I could recieve from anyone. I'm hard to make happy so that say's alot.

At the cumberland poker run we rode in a 31 with twin 500s and was kicking some serious butt. We kicked the transom off of alot of boats that were alot bigger and alot faster but they did not have the Balls to run in the rough stuff. So the fastest boat with the smallest balls will not always beat the slower boat with the biggest balls. With a Sonic you know what you have. Lots of experience in building a first class boat that will not fail. Can you say the same for a thunder. I don't know the awnser like with a Sonic. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2001, 08:00 PM
ScreaminDemon

Can you say the same about a Thunder? That's a stupid remark. They can hang with the BEST of them and are at the top with the others, maybe not as big in shop size, or they may not produce as many boats (which i feel is a plus) but then they are a true custom builder...just like Ferrari isn't as big as GM. And everyone on the OSO who owns one is very proud, just like the proud Sonic owners...Peace!

Old 11-16-2001, 11:21 PM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ScreaminDemon take a chill. If you read cliff correctly, you would have understood that he couldn't say the same for thunder because he has more experience with Sonic. Besides, what are you driving, a Scarab?? Do you have any experience with either or are you just screamin??

h2owarrior - I have a Sonic and a very good friend of mine has a Thunder. I would have to say that both are awesome boats and good luck with your decision. You won't be disappointed with either one.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:55 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

H2O, let us know what you decide. I was actually looking for a new 32 Thunder when I bought my 31SS. The deal I got on the Sonic was the deciding factor ($100 a month less!)
Old 11-17-2001, 10:32 AM
Registered

I started out looking at the Sonic and decided to look at AT. Right now the AT is about $13,000 less apples to apples. The AT looks like it will also go about 15 mph faster with same power. I can put extension boxes on the Sonic and get an extra 2-3 mph but that makes the premium over $20,000

This is all on paper as I have not ridden in either boat, thus the trip

Quick Reply: Sonic or Active Thunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.