496HO riser is blistered - Overheated?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myturn
Attached are a couple of shots I took of my
riser problem last fall. The problem was
hose clamps that Mercury uses. One of them
corroded and popped of while I was running.
No alarm just a fire and smoke coming from
the engine compartment. All cooling water to
the riser went into the bilge so the riser quickly
over heated! I shut the engine down and the
fire stopped. What a mess. It took me four
hours to idle home on one engine. One thing
to Mercury's credit is that the closed cooling
system protected the engine from any damage.
Ouch! That looks like it could have been worse than it was. Lucky for mine as I just got up on plane I heard a loud pop and the motor sounded like something blew which was the hole in the top of the exhaust hose. All clamps were in place. I immediatlehy shut her down. I took it to a diffferent mechanic today who I have used in the past. Lets see what they come up with. I am definitely staying away from the new place I used over the winter. Never going back there again!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered

If they replaced the impeller, the first thing that needs to be done is get the impeller chunks out of the fuel and oil coolers. The chunks restrict water flow even with a new pump impeller. I had one go bad on my old Scarab and the first thing I did was pull the oil cooler. Yes they were there. Lesson learned!

Ed
Old 06-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Registered

I had been overheating on my old 454 even after rebuilding the sea water pump and ensuring the seawater strainer was clean.

I found sand and rust in both of my risers. I used a long screwdriver to clean out the water passages with the risers removed. Now running at normal temps no mater what throttle setting.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by U4ICK
If they replaced the impeller, the first thing that needs to be done is get the impeller chunks out of the fuel and oil coolers. The chunks restrict water flow even with a new pump impeller. I had one go bad on my old Scarab and the first thing I did was pull the oil cooler. Yes they were there. Lesson learned!

Ed
My impeller, luckily enough, did not blow out any chunks and was worn along with the brass water pump being scored, so I dont think anything got caught in there. Appreciate your feed back. :O)

I had the hose replaced with a stronger one, I went out again this past Sunday and the darn thing blew another hole in it. Comes to find out, the tech contacted Merc after I brought her back in again to adress the issue and Mercruiser said the hose has to be properly installed at a correct angle, so the exhaust heat is not blowing directly on exhaust hose. The direct heat is causing the hose to fail on top just after the riser opening. So, they got the info from merc how to ensure it is on correct and the shop is going to take her out for a test to see if that works. I'll keep ya'll posted! ulg! Also to note... I had the shop back flush the motor this time and nothing came out.

Last edited by 26sonicmotion; 06-13-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26sonicmotion
My impeller, luckily enough, did not blow out any chunks and was worn along with the brass water pump being scored, so I dont think anything got caught in there. Appreciate your feed back. :O)

I had the hose replaced with a stronger one, I went out again this past Sunday and the darn thing blew another hole in it. Comes to find out, the tech contacted Merc after I brought her back in again to adress the issue and Mercruiser said the hose has to be properly installed at a correct angle, so the exhaust heat is not blowing directly on exhaust hose. The direct heat is causing the hose to fail on top just after the riser opening. So, they got the info from merc how to ensure it is on correct and the shop is going to take her out for a test to see if that works. I'll keep ya'll posted! ulg! Also to note... I had the shop back flush the motor this time and nothing came out.
Problem solved! Merc was correct and the exhaust hose is now installed correctly and there are no issues! She is running 100%