Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
New to Cape Coral >

New to Cape Coral

Notices

New to Cape Coral

Old 06-19-2020, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks guys! I'll drive by or call them in the next few days. Very timely as these famous last words by me over a week ago continue to jinx me: "After all sorts of delays, I am almost ready to splash and put her on the lift". She is still in the driveway on my now 2nd extension by the Cape's Code Compliance peeps. Gotta splash by Monday.

Yesterday went to start her after fluids change and; nothing. Ignition dead. Checked everything I could think of with no luck. This morning I bought the 90 amp fusible contraption that goes on the starter solenoid as I was told could be the likely culprit. My last try before I am completely stumped. And the damn thing does not look easy to get to... Rain has really been delaying everything. If she fires up, then I should be home-free to splash Sunday or Monday. All I have left is cleaning, to then install new drive shower and exhaust flappers.

So far: removed silent choice and replaced all hardware with 5200, fixed swim ladder hinges and reinstalled/sealed with 5200, sunpad re-stitched (ready to go back on), changed outdrive fluid, changed engine oil/filter, replaced fuel filter/sep, replaced old messed-up VHF antenna with a 4' version, fixed depth sounder, fixed strbrd cockpit radio speaker, replaced battery selector switch, and a few other misc. Sounds like a lot but can't tell by looking at her and judging by over a month here!

I am quickly learning everything takes 4 times longer than planned, and more $ than, well... any reasonable estimate...

The following users liked this post:
Crude Intentions (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by SpidRacer
She is still in the driveway on my now 2nd extension by the Cape's Code Compliance peeps. Gotta splash by Monday.

I am quickly learning everything takes 4 times longer than planned, and more $ than, well... any reasonable estimate...
Been there...boat sat in driveway on Perdido Key for weeks while waiting on lift/boathouse issues...and $ (and time) x 3 or 4 seems about right! :-)
Old 06-20-2020, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

The 4 times longer and costlier than planned is all too true. The 90 amp fuse will kill the power to everything. Don’t forget neutral safety. Verify cannon plug tight. Check 50 amp breaker. Lanyard maybe?
Old 06-21-2020, 07:48 AM
Registered

Thanks guyz, and Happy Father's Day to all that are. Replaced the 90A fuse anyway even though it tested fine. Had the black round rubbery part on the back all melted. 50A breaker tested fine. I have 12V everywhere around the engine, battery switch, breakers, etc. Also have 12V at the ignition push-button breaker at the breaker panel under the dash at the helm. But I am getting like 8V at the ignition switch when in off position. When turned to "on", I lose the voltage and get nothing, which makes no sense to me (I'll re-test today). Safety lanyard is in there and I have wiggled it a hundred times. Moved around gear shifter as well.

My best guess is that when I ran the VHF antenna cable through that area, reaching from the access sliding door behind the drivers seat, I may have dislodged or moves something that may be causing the voltage drop. Problem is I cannot remove the cover plate where the throttle assembly and safety lanyard switch are because the lower left bolt's nut on the inside is rotating with the bolt when I try to unscrew. Normally these nuts are fixed as one cannot reach them easily. Today I am going to remove the radio speaker, VHF external remote speaker, and the VHF to get some access and stick my hands in there as a last resort. If I cannot fix it with this last effort, I'll step aside and pull a "here, you do it $$$". I have a neighbor a few streets down that is a Mercury mechanic in Ft. Myers that is coming over Tuesday late afternoon. If he cannot ID the issue, then I'll take her somewhere. Very frustrating.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
There’s several of us in the cape. I’ve been here 10 years. Go right to a plotter. You’ll want/need it. I use the simrad go7. Some like the garmin. Either will do the job. Also get on the ft Myers offshore Facebook page. Lots of good boating people down here
I am using the droid phone app Marine Ways and hot spotting/blue toothing it to an I-pad (for the larger display size). We are not really going out in the Gulf of Mexico very far so this seems like a decent way to navigate the Intracoastal and barrier islands/keys.
The boat also has a Lowrange 4 Elite (depth downscan, chart, sonar).
Am I missing something?

Last edited by F14A water jet; 06-21-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
I am using the droid phone app Marine Ways and hot spotting/blue toothing it to an I-pad (for the larger display size). We are not really going out in the Gulf of Mexico very far so this seems like a decent way to navigate the Intracoastal and barrier islands/keys.
The boat also has a Lowrange 4 Elite (depth downscan, chart, sonar).
Am I missing something?
that setup may work. I run a standard plotter. Much easier to see and use. I have a simrad go7. Fits nicely and does the job.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SpidRacer
Thanks guyz, and Happy Father's Day to all that are. Replaced the 90A fuse anyway even though it tested fine. Had the black round rubbery part on the back all melted. 50A breaker tested fine. I have 12V everywhere around the engine, battery switch, breakers, etc. Also have 12V at the ignition push-button breaker at the breaker panel under the dash at the helm. But I am getting like 8V at the ignition switch when in off position. When turned to "on", I lose the voltage and get nothing, which makes no sense to me (I'll re-test today). Safety lanyard is in there and I have wiggled it a hundred times. Moved around gear shifter as well.

My best guess is that when I ran the VHF antenna cable through that area, reaching from the access sliding door behind the drivers seat, I may have dislodged or moves something that may be causing the voltage drop. Problem is I cannot remove the cover plate where the throttle assembly and safety lanyard switch are because the lower left bolt's nut on the inside is rotating with the bolt when I try to unscrew. Normally these nuts are fixed as one cannot reach them easily. Today I am going to remove the radio speaker, VHF external remote speaker, and the VHF to get some access and stick my hands in there as a last resort. If I cannot fix it with this last effort, I'll step aside and pull a "here, you do it $$$". I have a neighbor a few streets down that is a Mercury mechanic in Ft. Myers that is coming over Tuesday late afternoon. If he cannot ID the issue, then I'll take her somewhere. Very frustrating.
I’ll be back after July 1st. If you somehow haven’t figured it out by then. I’ll definitely come help ya. Check your keyswitch too. They do go bad.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:50 AM
Registered

Thank you Mike, much appreciated. You mentioned a cannon plug. I had to google that! Is there one in particular I need to be looking for? I think the key switch is ok. I jumped the cables into it as a test, and still nothing....
Old 06-21-2020, 04:09 PM
Registered

The cannon plug is the big plug on the back of the engine. Just wiggle and make sure all tight. Maybe pull and look for corrosion. It could cause a voltage drop.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:12 PM
Registered

This may help

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...y/31910/2336/4
The following users liked this post:
SpidRacer (06-25-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.