Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Superboat
80 mph + 24' Superboat (continued from Pantera Forum) >

80 mph + 24' Superboat (continued from Pantera Forum)

Notices

80 mph + 24' Superboat (continued from Pantera Forum)

Old 09-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
Cup, you have the same straight V boat that I do.
You may want to consider sending that 26p B1 to Brett at BBlades and have him do the same mods he did to my B1.
From what I've experienced, it requires too much trim to get our boats to loosen up with a stock B1. The sweet spot is small to run fast without modifying the B1 for more bow lift.
You may want to test a Revolution 4 also...
Pat,
I totally agree....takes me a while just to dial her into a decent cruise. I know that in my boat, cruising along at like 55-60 and then bringing up the throttle and trim, you have really pay attention. Lots of times I just don't have the open water to get her dialed in just right before having to back off the throttle for waves/boats/etc. I know that the 3-blade will always be faster on my setup but then you really have to drive the boat. What tweaking to BBlades do to your prop Pat?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
I know that the 3-blade will always be faster on my setup but then you really have to drive the boat. What tweaking to BBlades do to your prop Pat?
Well, my boat is only about 1mph slower with the modified 28p B1 vs. a stock 27p M+. We'll see soon how she runs with a labbed M+.
BBlades modified the tips and trailing edges of my B1. There is a little more cup is some areas. The idea was to create the effect of having more rake. I did not have a full lab job but the blades are thinner than stock. The mods were to give more bow lift without having to trim way high.
My boat handles so much better than with the prop stock and I gained 1-2mph. I have tried lots of props and none give the performance of the modified B1.
If I were in your shoes, I'd test a 25p Rev 4. It is a higher rake prop than a B1 and should give more bow lift out of the box. Then decide if you should buy one of those or have the B1 modified.
IMO, the 3 blade is only good for all out speed in calm water.

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 09-13-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
I'm looking at around 5300 or so. All of this is theoretical of course until we get it on the dyno next week. Then we'll have some real numbers to talk about!
I played around on Desktop Dyno some last night. I have a 454 in my basement that needs a rebuild. All of the combinations I plug in had a 460 cube making 500+HP at 5500-5600rpm.
This 460 cube engine your putting together must be a torque monster. Crockett must have developed a real nice cam to have a 454/460 cube produce the same basic peak power as the Merc 525EFI.
You should be real excited to run that beast on the dyno and even more once it's in the boat...
Old 09-14-2007, 10:13 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Pat, i was told i should have tried a shorty on my boat to get more outta it. Possibly another 3-4?
But i was pretty happy w/ 75, and didnt run it that high that much... as you've already noted.
Speed cost $, and i had enough speed and no more $.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
I played around on Desktop Dyno some last night. I have a 454 in my basement that needs a rebuild. All of the combinations I plug in had a 460 cube making 500+HP at 5500-5600rpm.
This 460 cube engine your putting together must be a torque monster. Crockett must have developed a real nice cam to have a 454/460 cube produce the same basic peak power as the Merc 525EFI.
You should be real excited to run that beast on the dyno and even more once it's in the boat...
I hope it turns out well. Tyler said that this cam in a stock compression .030 454 turned 485hp on his dyno about 2 weeks before I ordered it. He was telling me that with my added compression I should see close to 500 with the factory heads & valve size with some bowl work and port matching.

My engine guy is a bit skeptical of that. He said he would put my setup with the Crockett cam in the 445 - 450 hp range with the stock heads & the port work. My engine guy also says that every time he bolts a set of these RHS heads with his port work on an engine, he's seeing roughly an 80 hp gain.

So if we go with my engine guy's conservative estimate, we should see around 510 - 530 hp? If you go with Tyler's numbers, this thing will be a fire breathing monster. I'm not sure how Tyler achieves the numbers he does, but I'm not discounting them yet.

As I said, it's all fish stories until the real numbers come out. I should know by Wednesday next week what it really does!

My goal is to break 500hp. If we hit 510 or even 525, I'll be ecstatic! Any of those will make the little Super a runin machine.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Pat, i was told i should have tried a shorty on my boat to get more outta it. Possibly another 3-4?
But i was pretty happy w/ 75, and didnt run it that high that much... as you've already noted.
Speed cost $, and i had enough speed and no more $.
T-Mone and I have talked about trying a shorter drive. He knows a fellow running a higher X on a 24' Pantera. With a 5 blade prop it would help get more speed for sure.
I'm not sure how far below the V the prop shaft was on your boat, mine is about 5" below.
Running 3 blade props, it could not be set higher on my boat; with 4 blade props, maybe?
Do you remember Condor24 here on OSO? Anyway, when he went from an Alpha to a Bravo he set the prop about 1-1/2" higher than it was on my 24' Pantera. Long story short, it was too high for the Condor.
I would love to try bolting up an extension box and a -2 shorty on my boat. I think there is something to be gain with both speed and rough water handling. But with two kids in daycare, my boating budget has been reduced to keeping what I've got going and playing with different props.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I hope it turns out well. Tyler said that this cam in a stock compression .030 454 turned 485hp on his dyno about 2 weeks before I ordered it. He was telling me that with my added compression I should see close to 500 with the factory heads & valve size with some bowl work and port matching.

My engine guy is a bit skeptical of that. He said he would put my setup with the Crockett cam in the 445 - 450 hp range with the stock heads & the port work. My engine guy also says that every time he bolts a set of these RHS heads with his port work on an engine, he's seeing roughly an 80 hp gain.

So if we go with my engine guy's conservative estimate, we should see around 510 - 530 hp? If you go with Tyler's numbers, this thing will be a fire breathing monster. I'm not sure how Tyler achieves the numbers he does, but I'm not discounting them yet.

As I said, it's all fish stories until the real numbers come out. I should know by Wednesday next week what it really does!

My goal is to break 500hp. If we hit 510 or even 525, I'll be ecstatic! Any of those will make the little Super a runin machine.
It sounds like your engine should have no problem making over 500HP. The aluminum heads and higher CR will help.
Any idea of the specs on that cam and flow of those heads? I could run the numbers on Desk top dyno for you.

When I get to do my 454 buildup I'll be going with about 9.2CR and GM iron rec port heads. I have the cam from a 500EFI but I'm not sure if that is what I'll use. My goal will be to build an engine that has more power than my 502mag. With the 500EFI cam my guess would be about 470HP @ 5500.

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 09-14-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered

What's your e-mail Pat? I will e-mail the info to you. I'm not sure if Tyler wants me publishing his cam specs or not.

Run it and let me know what it says.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

What's your e-mail Pat? I will e-mail the info to you. I'm not sure if Tyler wants me publishing his cam specs or not.

I won't let the cat out of the bag.
[email protected]
Old 09-14-2007, 08:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Ran the numbers.
Check your e-mail.
She's going to run over 80...

Quick Reply: 80 mph + 24' Superboat (continued from Pantera Forum)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.