Registered

Received 536 Likes on 330 Posts

Awesome build thread!

please update us with more pics.

I too like the red hull...awesome!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If those engine specs are correct, I agree, probably about 375-400 HP, but it's going to be low on torque, thats a pretty big cam and a single plane manifold. Decent heads and rods though. The 24 is pretty light, so the lack of torque may not be an issue. That is an old school cam with quite a bit of duration, reversion might be an issue.

IMO, you're going to want less cam and a dual plane manifold if you're keeping it. If the compression is really that low, and the pistons are forged, it would be a good engine to add a blower to and a boost friendly cam.

FWIW, if you do add boost, those pink rods are only rated at 450ish HP from Chevrolet, I think you can get away with a little more if it is balanced and built correctly, maybe 500 if you're not beating on it.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Registered

Thanks, that's very helpful information. I am concerned about the reversion issue since it currently has stock Merc manifolds. Should we look into an aftermarket exhaust or a cam swap before we run the boat? The motor has been started and run on a hose, but we won't drop it into the water until the spring and obviously I don't want to smoke the engine on the first run.

Noli, I'll get some new photos this week. We're looking forward to getting it into the water!

I have to say, the shots of the interior are my favorites. That'll clean right up with a little Armor All

Last edited by dba900; 11-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

No new photos as we've not had time to work on the boat. Lots of new tenants and work to do on the property means the boat's been on the shelf. I'm thinking of hiring someone to do the 'glass work on the deck. Can anyone recommend someone in the eastern Mass/Cape Cod area?

On a separate note, would something like this be competitive in class 6 racing? I'd probably keep the TRS drive as it's cheap and rugged and get a bigger motor. The guy we bought it from had actually started setting it up to race, but hadn't finished the work. It'll probably never happen, but you never know.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered

Pm ' lil red ' he has a killer glass guy we all use in bristol ri.
Guy does great work reasonably $.
Trusted by team TKO
I used a guy in s Plymouth to plug my transom a couple yrs ago. He does great work, he was like a retired aviation guy or something??? His costs were ok, no bargain....
He does work in his driveway so I'm thinkin he wouldn't touch it til spring, unless maybe he'd come to you? Pm me if that's something your into.

as far as class 6.....all I keep hearing is big power needed.
I should have low to mid 700s backed with a xr & I'm already planning to squirrel cash to build bigger HP when the time comes.
A couple 6 guys have 500/600

MD

Last edited by scarab63; 12-15-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: oh ya opa class 6 gotta be N/A :(
Old 12-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Registered

Will do. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered

I looked at this boat when it was for sale. You guys truly are giving this boat a second chance at a new life, and I'm eager to follow your progress along this build. Also looking forward to seeing that red boat out on the water.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Registered

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to getting it out on the water to see what it'll do.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Gold Member

Wow boat looks good so far I always liked the 24x7, and was looking for one until I found the boat that I currently own lol. keep the pics coming!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered

We started working on the trailer and I suspect we're going to be in the market for a new one (or perhaps we'll substantially rebuild this one). Photos tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.