Notices

what to buy, trucks

Old 05-18-2005, 06:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Re: what to buy, trucks

I bought an '05 2500HD CrewCab with the Duramax/Allison and I love it!!! You probably can't go wrong with either brand, it's all about what you like. Go look at both and make your decision!!
I can tell you that I'm liking the mileage that I'm getting with this truck. I've put 3800 miles on it and the worst that I've gotten is 15.7 mpg on a tankful. It's getting 20-21mpg on the highway. I'm driving to Fla. next week for the first long "Road Trip", so we'll see how she does. Compared to my 2500 Big Block Suburban that I had before this, it's almost paying for itself!!!
Attached Thumbnails what to buy, trucks-truckwindowss.jpg  

Last edited by craig223; 05-18-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikes280
well i am in the market for a new truck i want a 4 door short bed 4+4 diesel i have looked at the 2500 hd chevy and the f 250 ford which one would you get and why i have always had chevys but i am not stuck on one now thanks
mike280 or any oso family member,

Should you decide to go for a Ford product (ford truck, sedan, Volvo, Jag or Mazda) don't forget about the friend/family deal that you can get from anyone who works for the mfg... seek any of us out..we can each do up to 5 per year friends and family pin number assignments.
Any of us just your last 4 digets of your social and you get a special pin number to use at any dlr (throughout the country) that does a/z/x plans and usually very big discounts and keeps the negotiating drama down.
I used up 5 of my friends/ family pin numbers last year (and every one stated that they saved big bucks) and have 5 avail this year so far....no strings pretty good deal for folks not in the car business. Super new hot products sometimes don't get the discount but just about every other model line does.

Just PM me (or any ford employee) the info and I can set you up if ur really in the market.
Happy to help
Old 05-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCiggie31
mike280 or any oso family member,

Should you decide to go for a Ford product (ford truck, sedan, Volvo, Jag or Mazda) don't forget about the friend/family deal that you can get from anyone who works for the mfg... seek any of us out..we can each do up to 5 per year friends and family pin number assignments.
Any of us just your last 4 digets of your social and you get a special pin number to use at any dlr (throughout the country) that does a/z/x plans and usually very big discounts and keeps the negotiating drama down.
I used up 5 of my friends/ family pin numbers last year (and every one stated that they saved big bucks) and have 5 avail this year so far....no strings pretty good deal for folks not in the car business. Super new hot products sometimes don't get the discount but just about every other model line does.

Just PM me (or any ford employee) the info and I can set you up if ur really in the market.
Happy to help
Those plans are great, My family gets one year, I forget if its the x or the z plan. My stepfather is part owner/principal engineer of the company that designs your wirring harneses. Ford is very generous with these plans, I think more so then any other manufacturer. It saved me 9k on my last truck, that's a big savings. Very kind of you to offer yours to other members here, although I know you couldn't use 5 yourself in a year, its still a cool thing to do. Do you realy think Ford meant all 26,000 members of a forum you belont o when they said "freinds and family"
Old 05-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

although I know you couldn't use 5 yourself in a year, its still a cool thing to do. Do you realy think Ford meant all 26,000 members of a forum you belont o when they said "freinds and family" [/QUOTE]

hillbilly24,

With all the help by brodas and sistas has offered me in such a short time, I consider you all folks family.
Last year I used up all 5 of my pin numbers for family and friends... and now I am alotted 5 more for family/friends.
It does help sell cars to get on the road...Ford, L/M and PAG products ... Aston Martin does not have A/Z/X ...YET

HAPPY TO HELP
Old 05-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Chevy IFS is a better ride than the live axle Fords or Dodges, are they stronger? I doubt it. The weak link is the ball joints. If you are going to lift the truck , its cheaper and easier to lift a Ford and you can go alot higher than a Gm (unlimited budget you switch to straight axle and go as high as you want). I think the Gm's have a more comfortable interior as well. I own a lifted Excursion, 11" of lift with a Diesel. Something you can't get with the Sub (diesel) and a lift that high would cost you a fortune. If you are leaving it stock or mildly lifted get a Gm with the Duramax (it will ride better), but stay with 35's on that weak IFS front end. If you are lifting the truck get the Ford with the Powerstroke. This years Powerstroke has more hp and torque than the other two along with a better transmision. Dodges suck all around, interiors are small on the four doors, the ride sucks (they really ride like a truck!) and the Cummins is the noisiest beast around. With that said I think the Cummins may be the longest lasting engine you can buy. They are well made with super heavy duty internals virtually unbreakable.
They all have their strong points and weak points. Just depends on your application.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:28 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a personal preference....I prefer GMC/Chevy...I work for a GMC dealer and own 3 of them. I do like the outer looks of the bigger fords and the Dodge Cummins motor has that great sound to it but....the duramax runs it's AZZ off and the Allison can't be beat. You make the call....and get back to us!!
Old 05-21-2005, 01:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
The Chevy IFS is a better ride than the live axle Fords or Dodges, are they stronger? I doubt it. The weak link is the ball joints. If you are going to lift the truck , its cheaper and easier to lift a Ford and you can go alot higher than a Gm (unlimited budget you switch to straight axle and go as high as you want). I think the Gm's have a more comfortable interior as well. I own a lifted Excursion, 11" of lift with a Diesel. Something you can't get with the Sub (diesel) and a lift that high would cost you a fortune. If you are leaving it stock or mildly lifted get a Gm with the Duramax (it will ride better), but stay with 35's on that weak IFS front end. If you are lifting the truck get the Ford with the Powerstroke. This years Powerstroke has more hp and torque than the other two along with a better transmision. Dodges suck all around, interiors are small on the four doors, the ride sucks (they really ride like a truck!) and the Cummins is the noisiest beast around. With that said I think the Cummins may be the longest lasting engine you can buy. They are well made with super heavy duty internals virtually unbreakable.
They all have their strong points and weak points. Just depends on your application.
The bit about the cummins being the longest lasting engine you can buy is not realy true. Both the Duramax and the 6.0L powerstroke had some hickups but they are mostly worked out now and they are great engines. The Cumins is a 30 year old design that has just been updated time and again, They still have'n't even moved into the world of H.E.U.I ( hydrualicly activated electronicly controled unit injectors) It's still just the old Cummins B series with some fancy wrapping around it, and that is a problem prone engine. I used to work as a fleet mechanic for Durham School Services, a student transportation company. In 99 we stopped ordering anything with a Cummins in it and went to the CAT 3126 E wich is a dream engine. The Cummins B will need a timing cover gasket at 60-70k (10-12 hour job that requires removeing valve train and cam ) a head gasket at 100-110k (10-12 hour job) and will probably be ready for a set of injectors and a pump at the same time as the head gasket. All this realy doesn't matter much though cuase the truck they come in is not even playing in the same ballpark as Ford and Chevy
Old 05-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
The bit about the cummins being the longest lasting engine you can buy is not realy true. Both the Duramax and the 6.0L powerstroke had some hickups but they are mostly worked out now and they are great engines. The Cumins is a 30 year old design that has just been updated time and again, They still have'n't even moved into the world of H.E.U.I ( hydrualicly activated electronicly controled unit injectors) It's still just the old Cummins B series with some fancy wrapping around it, and that is a problem prone engine. I used to work as a fleet mechanic for Durham School Services, a student transportation company. In 99 we stopped ordering anything with a Cummins in it and went to the CAT 3126 E wich is a dream engine. The Cummins B will need a timing cover gasket at 60-70k (10-12 hour job that requires removeing valve train and cam ) a head gasket at 100-110k (10-12 hour job) and will probably be ready for a set of injectors and a pump at the same time as the head gasket. All this realy doesn't matter much though cuase the truck they come in is not even playing in the same ballpark as Ford and Chevy

I agree, Dodge is out classed in almost all areas. I was mainly talking about the internals of the Cummins, the rods, bearings, all the internal parts of the motor are well built and strong as hell. They may not be up to date with there electronics and injection systems. I wouldn't buy one anyways. I've always been a Chevy/GMC owner, I've had three lifted trucks, a dually, 3/4 ton burb and regular burb, and 2 tahoes. I would own another one in a "heartbeat". The only reason a bought the Ford was to get a diesel in an SUV platform. I would consider another Ford now, but more than likely if the Burb ever comes out with the Duramax I'll be the first in line to sign up for one.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Hillbilly - what do you think of the new D max having aluminum heads on an iron block/diesel engine.........can that hold up in the long run???
Old 05-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pull my trigger
Hillbilly - what do you think of the new D max having aluminum heads on an iron block/diesel engine.........can that hold up in the long run???
The aluminum heads are new to the Chevy Duramax but not new at all to Isuzu who designed and origanaly built that engine. I don't think it will be a problem at all. That said with any new product there are bound to be som hickups, I would wait until the second model year of any engine after major changes to buy one if it were me.

Quick Reply: what to buy, trucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.