Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Would you use an aluminum ball mount? >

Would you use an aluminum ball mount?

Notices

Would you use an aluminum ball mount?

Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Well there is....but look at that thing....what possibly should you put on the hitch on the right....landscape trailer...donzi sweet 16......what is the one on the right rated for??
Old 02-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two places that I am not looking to save weight by going to aluminum........ring and pinions and hitches!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered

Hey...Byrdman's back! Hadn't seen you post in a while

Not so much a weight thing, the lock is something I haven't seen on a steel mount and caught my eye at SEMA a few months ago. I was liking the aluminum though since I'm here in salt water, and thought the combo of aluminum ball mount with stainless ball would be nice. I found a 2 5/16 w/1" shank rated at 10k; but at $45 maybe I'll stick with a chrome plated ball. The mounts are offered in both shank sizes, so the ball is the limiting factor.

As for aluminum bending or not, it depends on the material and if it's been hardened, that process. While no guarantee, I'd probably feel OK with something "Made in the USA".
Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thunderusone
There are two places that I am not looking to save weight by going to aluminum........ring and pinions and hitches!
Does somebody actually make a R&P in aluminum? there might be some magical material and process combination that could make one last but I agree, stick to good steel in those parts.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Registered

Again, I sell these in my store. I can assure you after several years of moving this product to the local agricultural market that these things works great. They wouldn't be in my store if they didn't.

Buck
Old 02-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I am sure they are fine for light stuff.....I tow more weight than any of those are rated for.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Registered

I am sure they are fine for light stuff.....I tow more weight than any of those are rated for.
Makes sense to me.

If it's not rated for the loads you tow than it wouldn't matter if it's metal or aluminum. A metal 10k ball mount isn't going to meet your needs either.

Buck
Old 02-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Hey...Byrdman's back! Hadn't seen you post in a while

Not so much a weight thing, the lock is something I haven't seen on a steel mount and caught my eye at SEMA a few months ago. I was liking the aluminum though since I'm here in salt water, and thought the combo of aluminum ball mount with stainless ball would be nice. I found a 2 5/16 w/1" shank rated at 10k; but at $45 maybe I'll stick with a chrome plated ball. The mounts are offered in both shank sizes, so the ball is the limiting factor.

As for aluminum bending or not, it depends on the material and if it's been hardened, that process. While no guarantee, I'd probably feel OK with something "Made in the USA".
I went with a Stainless Steel ball once. After about 4 tows and sitting outside in the weather, it too rusted. The coupler movement roughed up the ball surface, and it pitted and surface rusted.

I don't like that aluminum integrated lock drawbar, as its not solid material.

I have a Putnam solid steel drawbar rated for 14K lbs., ( www.putnamhitch.com ), and I bought this:
http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=B114
30K lbs. made out of solid black steel, and it has NOT rusted, and looks as good as the day I installed it.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These drop hitches scare the crap out of me. I can't for the life of me understand how in the world these guys get these things certified and DOT approved for 10,000#, 1500# tongue weight.

I don't know what the hell kind of aluminum they're using, I'm sure it's a common commercial grade, but even if I assume it's a high-strength grade something like a 2024-T4 or a 7075-T4, with Ftu's approaching 70,000psi, there's no way in hell they can have positive margins......Even in a simple load case, like 10,000# forward (light braking = 1G), 1,500 down, and a slight side load for good measure, I'm seeing negative margins which equals failure!

Add to this the fact, that these things live a hard life with dents, scratches, corrosion, stress corrosion cracking (especially in aluminums), fatigue, dynamic cyclical loading, the occasional crater pothole, etc., etc.....

Not for me thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Would you use an aluminum ball mount?-thumbnail.img.jpeg   Would you use an aluminum ball mount?-hitch-stress.jpg  
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

Nick, thanks for the quick analysis And I agree, I wouldn't want to test that adjustible height setup at full load rating. But what about the one I posted a link to in my first post? FWIW, I'd be using it in the "rise" position for my setup which is max 9k lbs.

Brian, which one isn't solid, the adjustible or fixed? I held these things in my hands at SEMA and they're solid; machined out of a billet block. I'd say the fixed height unit weighs more than a comparable hollow steel piece. I do like that hitch ball you linked; THAT would be worth the money.

Quick Reply: Would you use an aluminum ball mount?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.