Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Would you use an aluminum ball mount? >

Would you use an aluminum ball mount?

Notices

Would you use an aluminum ball mount?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Nick, thanks for the quick analysis And I agree, I wouldn't want to test that adjustible height setup at full load rating.
The picture shows it in the drop position. In that configuration, the load from the trailer hits the ball shank pretty close to the receiver with a small lever arm. If you flip it upside down to make a rise, and invert the ball, you've more than doubled the lever arm. I'd be wary.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Brian, which one isn't solid, the adjustable or fixed? I held these things in my hands at SEMA and they're solid; machined out of a billet block. I'd say the fixed height unit weighs more than a comparable hollow steel piece. I do like that hitch ball you linked; THAT would be worth the money.
The locking mechanism that comes out the front requires a hole bored through the unit. That's what I meant by not solid. I'd rather have solid material there. I also would not trust that spreading mechanism for the pin. I'd also prefer a solid pin that goes through there with finite movement on either side. I've never (knock on wood) had a problem with a locking pin corroding or rusting. I usually coat them with a few coats of Rustoleum, and an occasional shot of WD-40. I use one like this, with a rubber cap over the lock:
Attached Thumbnails Would you use an aluminum ball mount?-b00004sqm4.01._aa280_sclzzzzzzz_.jpg  
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

do people really steal the draw bar??? I never lock mine and have never had an issue????? BZ
Old 02-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
do people really steal the draw bar??? I never lock mine and have never had an issue????? BZ
Not just the drawbar, but the trailer that's attached

I didn't think I'd get this much feedback but glad I did. I haven't given up on wanting an aluminum drawbar, but I'm considering other options.
Thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
These drop hitches scare the crap out of me. I can't for the life of me understand how in the world these guys get these things certified and DOT approved for 10,000#, 1500# tongue weight.

I don't know what the hell kind of aluminum they're using, I'm sure it's a common commercial grade, but even if I assume it's a high-strength grade something like a 2024-T4 or a 7075-T4, with Ftu's approaching 70,000psi, there's no way in hell they can have positive margins......Even in a simple load case, like 10,000# forward (light braking = 1G), 1,500 down, and a slight side load for good measure, I'm seeing negative margins which equals failure!

Add to this the fact, that these things live a hard life with dents, scratches, corrosion, stress corrosion cracking (especially in aluminums), fatigue, dynamic cyclical loading, the occasional crater pothole, etc., etc.....

Not for me thanks.
Your drawing is exactly what I was thinking as soon as I looked at the pic of that long straight drop.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
Some jackass stole all of the clip-pins off of the adjustable hitch on the OSO F-650 at a Poker Run, with the 38PP behind it. Thankfully the missing parts were noticed prior to departure.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the point......get the beefiest, biggest, most overkill trailer hitch you can for your truck and boat. That isnt something you want to break.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want the biggest, toughest, ugliest piece of alloy steel I can get back there. Screw convenience, I want to survive my towing experience.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
the point......get the beefiest, biggest, most overkill trailer hitch you can for your truck and boat. That isnt something you want to break.

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I want the biggest, toughest, ugliest piece of alloy steel I can get back there. Screw convenience, I want to survive my towing experience.
Bingo and Bingo!!!

Those shiny, polished aluminum hitches are nice for the landscaper with the 1-ton truck with the 8-inch lift pulling a 1400# trailer, but for anything substantial, get the biggest nastiest hitch you can find.

Don't let that be the weakest link.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one is going to steal a big ugly hunk of over designed trailer hitch . They might get their hands dirty .

Quick Reply: Would you use an aluminum ball mount?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.