Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
01-07 duramax junk transfer case design >

01-07 duramax junk transfer case design

Notices

01-07 duramax junk transfer case design

Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally speaking no they will not. They would have to have the transfer case out and opened up for another reason to install updated clip. Now if you are in good with the service manager then anything is possible.....

Originally Posted by turnerrd
Since this truck has a 100K powertrain warranty on it will GM go ahead and install their the new oil pump wear climp under warranty even though I'm not having any problems yet?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered

Not sure if my problem ties into this but my 05' 2500 HD Dmax had the T case go out of it back in July of 06'. Had approx 100K on it. It all started when I had the fluid change at approx 65K-70K miles. It's a fleet vehicle so it get got done at a Valvoline oil change store and got filled with Dexron III (ATF). At every oil change (5K) they would check it and it was progressivly getting dark and burnt looking. At about 80K I was getting it flushed and changed close to every other time because it was burn't so bad. Finally going up the road one day it started making a faint grinding noise. Pulled over and tried to shift it a few times into 4hi, 4lo. Wouldn't do it at first then it finally went in. No problems rest of the day. Pulled the boat that weekend no problems. Took it to GM Monday, called back and said clutch plates had let go sent metal through the whole case, it was junk. Reman $2,400 later. I looked at the owners manual and it called out for the GM synthetic. Dealer looked into it as I was hell bent on hanging this one on the Valvoline quicky shop, but they came back and said no that Dextron III was approved. Then why would the manual call out for synthetic, WTF? I kind of just let it go since it didn't come out of my pocket. I'm starting to wonder now if the metal wasn't the tabs breaking off the oil pump wear clip?
Drove it another 50 K and got the same truck 07' (classic). 76K so far and no prob. I had GM change the fluid at 50K this time and made sure they put synthetic in.
Since this truck has a 100K powertrain warranty on it will GM go ahead and install their the new oil pump wear climp under warranty even though I'm not having any problems yet?
GM just wants to sell their lube, so they recommend their own stuff. Dexron III ATF is perfectly fine. It's all I've used in my '05, 109k miles.

A couple questions about your '05. . .What was the fluid level when you brought it to the dealer? Did they say exactly why the clutch parts failed? Was it lack of fluid, or some other failure? Was the clip broken?

If the clip was intact, then the pump rub issue wasn't the problem.

As far as your warranty on your '07, is that an extended warranty you purchased to cover the whole drivetrain, or do you just mean the factory 100k miler? That factory warranty only covers the engine itself. Any other issues would have to be covered by the 3 year 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Last edited by HayJay; 12-02-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Registered

On the 05' the fluid level was fine. It had just got changed a few weeks earlier. No leaks on the case other than the normal dampness around the rear seal. Its been a while but I believe it was the clutch packs or clutch plates? The service writer was a little squirly. Originally he told me he was putting in a brand new case which for $2,400 I thought was a good deal. So when I went to pick it up I told him I wanted the old case back so I could look at it for myself, then he confided it was a reman and he had already sent the core in.
The whole deal never added up. When I *****ed about a tcase only lasting for 100K they pretty much told me to chaulk up under the sh1t happens category.

The 07' has a 100K powertrain warranty which should include everything from engine to rear axle. Although I did have sticky EGR valve this summer tha was not coverd. The excuse was that it only applies to items that are lubed with oil? Guess you need to read the fine print.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Registered

Does anyone have a picture of the case where the clip wears through so we know where to check.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Registered

Internal shot only. If you see it wearing from the outside its to late to save the case halve.

Does anyone have a picture of the case where the clip wears through so we know where to check.
Attached Thumbnails 01-07 duramax junk transfer case design-clip.gif  
Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Registered

The 07' has a 100K powertrain warranty which should include everything from engine to rear axle. .
Yep, you're right! I was wrong.

I didn't know the 07's came with a full powertrain warranty. That's cool.

. . . .and here's where you'll usually find the hole (if there is one) on the outside. From the bottom of the case, count 5 bolts up on the passenger side and it'll typically be right where the red circle is in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails 01-07 duramax junk transfer case design-rubhole.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered

Truck U on the Speed Channel just recently did a segment on this Chevy and GMC transfer case problem. As it was stated above the issue is present in all Light duty trucks and SUVs from '98-'07 Below is the link to a clip from the episode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmcNkgKuMY
Old 12-12-2019, 03:29 AM
Registered

I know this thread is 9 years old since the last post.. but was curious, replacing the rear half of the transfer case looked pretty straightforward from watching a you tube video. My question is, what can go bad in the front half of the transfer case if it has been ran out of oil? Besides the bearings in the front case for the front driveline and input shaft, what else should I be looking for? And when buying the rear half, is it worth gettting the chain and gears or are they usually fine to reuse? Its $150 vs $300 with or without the chain and gears.