Notices

New Truck break-in question

Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the exaust done today; had the muffler guy cut it off right in front of the muffler, then split it to 3" duals with 24" chrome slant cut tips. It sounds sweeeeeeeeeet (and loud!)
Old 06-07-2007, 04:30 AM
Registered

Hey Mill, I Have The Same Wheels Wheels As You And Also The Nav,and The Tv For The Rear,now You Got Me Thinking About Doing The Exhaust!!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyo
Hey Mill, I Have The Same Wheels Wheels As You And Also The Nav,and The Tv For The Rear,now You Got Me Thinking About Doing The Exhaust!!!!
You should do it! Once you get that huge factory muffler off there, that 6.2L sounds like a 496HO in one of these boats. I don't know what your preference in tips is, but the 24" slant cut chrome looks nice. Every morning I hit the remote start as I'm walking to the truck so I can hear it fire up fromm behind. It sounds delicious.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:02 AM
Registered

Hey Mill, Going To The Exhaust Shop Next Week,i'm Still Looking For The Rain Guards I Can't Find Them I Might Have To Go To The Dealer,i Just Got 500 Miles On It Hope The Gas Mileage Gets Better I'm Only Getting 9.1 Mpg,but At Least It's Better Than The Boat!!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always changed the oil at 500 miles and put in a magnetic drain plug on all my new cars/trucks, along with a mag around the oil filter

Oil is cheap
Old 07-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by millhouse961
Can anyone give me an explanation as to why the 500 mile break in and changing the oil so early? Why do other mechanics think it isn't necessary?
Duty cycles, simply put. Hot to cold will change clearances on several components, there are mating issues also, and as far as "mechanics" telling you to hammer it, be certain to realize it's your investment, not theirs. Why take the risk of going against written instructions on the recommended break in proceedures? That makes zero sense. I highly doubt people going against the protocol are going to ante' up when the warranty denial comes across the table..................
Old 07-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tim@DOA
Duty cycles, simply put. Hot to cold will change clearances on several components, there are mating issues also, and as far as "mechanics" telling you to hammer it, be certain to realize it's your investment, not theirs. Why take the risk of going against written instructions on the recommended break in proceedures? That makes zero sense. I highly doubt people going against the protocol are going to ante' up when the warranty denial comes across the table..................
Agreed. I babyed it for the first 500, changed the oil and filter (the oil was suprisingly dark for on ly 500 miles), got on it a little then babyed it some more. Right now I'm at 2200 miles and still absolutely love it! This is the best truck I have ever driven or owned!!
Old 07-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyo
Hey Mill, Going To The Exhaust Shop Next Week,i'm Still Looking For The Rain Guards I Can't Find Them I Might Have To Go To The Dealer,i Just Got 500 Miles On It Hope The Gas Mileage Gets Better I'm Only Getting 9.1 Mpg,but At Least It's Better Than The Boat!!!!
What did you end up doing with the exhaust? I still love the dual with no muffler and 24" slant cut tips. There isn't another truck around that sounds like this.