Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Electric over Hydraullic Question >

Electric over Hydraullic Question

Notices

Electric over Hydraullic Question

Old 04-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a full stainless line kit from http://www.championtrailers.com/brkparts.html

Hopefully it will help with my slight delay. I fell right now with the all rubber tubing there is too much expandsion in the lines before applying.....Well that sounds good..Same theory on cars. The line from the actuator to the first axle is 23'.
I'll keep you all posted on the results.
Still in all my tow vehicle is too small. A tahoe towing 10,500 lbs
Old 04-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just upgraded mine from an old Ausco (POS) to a Breakrite, using P3 on my 07 Duramax. Chose to run seperate power (40Amp) and ground from battery as suggested and bypassed factory system. System works great on 38 Scarab 11,000 + lbs and can lock up trailer disc breaks at 60 MPH. Very smooth and predictable adjustments.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Hey Ford guys with Tow Command. I have a brand new 08 myco with Electric over Hydrolic on 3 axels and a 2005 F-350 with tow command. Brakes don't work but everything else does (lights, etc). So I called Myco who said I needed a small plug in adapter that goes in line to the wiring harness on the trailer. I have not see any of this yet but has anyone gone this route with Myco? I'm planning on picking up my boat tomorrow and would like to assure my brakes work if I can. (I will have the adapter in hand by then) I also have a P3 sitting brand new in the box. In a pinch, could I wire around the tow command and go with the p3 to get the boat home? LMK what everything has been through. Thx!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 AM
rjr
Registered

It's possible but doesn't sound quite right. I have an 08 F-350 with TC. I called the actuator manufactures to get the straight scoop. (NOTE I SAID ACTUATOR NOT CONTROLLER MANUFACTURES) Brakerite, & Dexter require an adapter. Carlisle says their's will not work with 08 Fords. But the all indicated that there wasn't an issue with the 07's and earlier.

Myco doesn't make actuators. Find out who made yours and give them a call. They were all extremely helpful and in all cases the customer service folks passed me through to Engineers rather than throw B.S. my way.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I bought a brand new Myco last October with electric over hydraulic brakes on all three axles. I had never use electric brakes before and found Myco to not be any help at all in helping me to get things set up. I was on my own and bought a P3 controller. We picked up the trailer at Myco and it LOCKED up all six wheels instantly at any trailer setting on the controller. They said I would just have to play with the settings. I turned the brakes off totally and pulled the trailer home which was no problem. Once I added a 10K boat it would not lock up but I was pretty sure it was not working properly and you did not want to touch the brakes unless you wanted to stop. The trailer would stop the truck quick!

I finally found the problem the second time we towed it when the BrakeRiteII unit that Myco uses fried. The problem turned out to be a bad ground connection in the weather pack connectors between the BrakeRite unit and the control box (brain) they mount on the inside rail of the trailer.

Myco nor BrakeRite would cover it and I had to buy a complete new controller which left a bad taste in my mouth for both companies.

I found that BrakeRite recommends the Max Brake controller and I put that on the truck along with a complete new trailer unit and could not be happier. It is so smooth it is not funny and the truck and trailer work as one. The P3 is good but in my opinion requires too much adjustment between highway and city driving where the Max Brake works directly off the brake pressure as you apply the brake.

Good luck I hope yours works right the first time. I am very happy now that I went this way but it was stressful for a few weeks.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rjr
It's possible but doesn't sound quite right. I have an 08 F-350 with TC. I called the actuator manufactures to get the straight scoop. (NOTE I SAID ACTUATOR NOT CONTROLLER MANUFACTURES) Brakerite, & Dexter require an adapter. Carlisle says their's will not work with 08 Fords. But the all indicated that there wasn't an issue with the 07's and earlier.

Myco doesn't make actuators. Find out who made yours and give them a call. They were all extremely helpful and in all cases the customer service folks passed me through to Engineers rather than throw B.S. my way.

Well...The direction given to me to use the adapter actually came from Brakerite...Myco gave me a contact to call (VERY HELPFUL MYCO & BRAKERITE WERE) who said it sounded like this was the problem & I needed the "in line" adapter. (Anyone know what this is??) I asked him about the Carlisle and he didn't seem to know anything about it. He did said the 08's are way different and he knew there were issues as far back as 06 but it was new to him that I had an 05 with issues. Said the tow command looks for a confirmation signal that the brakes have been engaged. When the trailer doesn't send the signal back to the tow command...it shuts itself down. I'm just afraid I'm going to head down to pick up the boat tomorrow and I'll get there and the brakes won't work.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Yes the problem is that the controller does not get the PING back from the electric brakes like on drum style brakes.

Jeff "SteelOutlawed" has this same problem on his 08 Chevy and a friend of his installed the adapter on another Chevy and it caused his brake unit to fail. He was just telling me that last week and you may want to contact him for additional details.

Good luck
Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Thanks Doc...I just spoke to him yesterday on another topic, but will ask him on this too.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Registered

For what it's worth, I just towed an 08 Myco with a Brakerite II controller with an 08 F-450. The Tow Command system worked flawlessly. I had pulled the same trailer with an earlier model 08, and kept getting a trailer disconnect signal. The F-450 is a job 3 build and had absolutely no issues. Maybe either Ford or Brakerite have now figured out how to work with each other.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by tesheer
For what it's worth, I just towed an 08 Myco with a Brakerite II controller with an 08 F-450. The Tow Command system worked flawlessly. I had pulled the same trailer with an earlier model 08, and kept getting a trailer disconnect signal. The F-450 is a job 3 build and had absolutely no issues. Maybe either Ford or Brakerite have now figured out how to work with each other.
I'm glad to hear that Ford is getting it worked out.

Quick Reply: Electric over Hydraullic Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.