Notices

Trucker Strike tonight !!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I support the truckers but unfortunately, because I am in heavy highway construction and move my own material and equipment, I can't park my trucks because I would only be hurting myself.
These fuel prices are ridiculous and something needs to be done.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I support the truckers but unfortunately, because I am in heavy highway construction and move my own material and equipment, I can't park my trucks because I would only be hurting myself.
These fuel prices are ridiculous and something needs to be done.
puzzy.....
Old 03-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree the cost of fuel is outrageous right now...good luck...

on second thought could it wait till my drives get delivered tomorrow by Yellow...they've been back and forth across the country for a month now...

Last edited by fountain4play; 03-31-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by stecz20
puzzy.....

Let's see here, I am going to park my trucks, pay my drivers to do nothing all day, not move any materials or equipment, and stick it to myself by putting me a day behind.....doesn't really prove anything to anyone other than I can skrew myself!

Actually now that I think about it that sounds like a typical NYC Teamster garbage hauler!

Last edited by Tom A.; 03-31-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't get this strike. Diesel fuel is high, because (1) crude oil is high due to demand increasing in emerging countries with huge populations such as China and India, and (2) the demand for diesel in Asia and Europe is rising due to the shift to diesel cars in those countries. I don't see that a strike could change either one of these scenarios.

The goods have to be moved, so just like it has over the last 10 years of increasing fuel prices, freight transportation prices will be raised.

Michael
Old 04-01-2008, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by stecz20
the biggest problme is you have too many non american truckrs that wont strike.. the strike i the 70s shut down the country.. again, not sure if a strike will help but at least you have spoken you mind...
There ya go showing your age again
Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael1
I don't get this strike. Diesel fuel is high, because (1) crude oil is high due to demand increasing in emerging countries with huge populations such as China and India, and (2) the demand for diesel in Asia and Europe is rising due to the shift to diesel cars in those countries. I don't see that a strike could change either one of these scenarios.

The goods have to be moved, so just like it has over the last 10 years of increasing fuel prices, freight transportation prices will be raised.

Michael
True enough...however...our state and federal governments stand to make quite a pretty penny through taxation...the taxes being based on a percentage of the fuel cost. Sure the cost of crude is up...so let's ease the burden on the economy by cutting back on these exorbitant levees. Back in '99 or so gas prices jumped, and the IL govt fell all over itself to suspend the gas tax...we've heard nothing but the whistle of the wind lately...WHY?

And also...can somebody tell me why diesel is SOOOO much more ($4.29 by me) when it requires LESS refining??? Its gonna cost me $400 just to TOW my boat to LOTO this summer...not to mention USE it on the lake!

I support you 100% Jeff...hopefully you guys can make enough noise to cause the pols to get off their lazy, complascent, overpaid azzes.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we as a nation stood together we could get so much more done, I salute the truckers! Phuck them towel heads, my stuff is parked.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
True enough...however...our state and federal governments stand to make quite a pretty penny through taxation...the taxes being based on a percentage of the fuel cost. .
Price a bridge or a mile of highway. There's a shortfall between the amount of revenue collected to maintain our infrastructure and what it really costs. That's why bridges are collapsing.

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
And also...can somebody tell me why diesel is SOOOO much more ($4.29 by me) when it requires LESS refining??? .
Easy one- demand.

If you had a product that people wanted, would you price it as a function of cost or would you charge what people are willing to pay. You'd be foolish to do the former. On diesel, here's the best example. On the interstate, it's $3.89, by my home it's $4.19. I can drive a half-hour and save 30 cents if I want. I don't.

Obviously demand is a simple answer to a complex issue. Demand is a catch-all for things like pipeline outages, shortfalls in refining capacity and many other pressures.

By the way, would you rather have $4 diesel or NO diesel? Global demand is rising to where supply capacity is becoming constricted. At some point, expect to see shortages, regardless of price.

People are calling for government intervention- that's a double-edged sword. When oil tanks, are we going to backstop the oil industry's billions of losses? If so, where do we stop? Do we bail out the automakers right now? The mortgage industry is getting bailed out right now and their penalty is going to be massive bureaucratic government regulation of the industry. Is that what we really want?

I would like to see some inquiry into oil futures trading though- but not but Congress. They should stick to steroids and impeachment rants.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, what do you mean "be careful of overhead bridges" etc??? I would really like clarification of that. Maybe I'm way off, but it sounds threatening.

Second, you have the right to do what you want, but unions killed this country, along with strikes. Nothing personal, but just get out of the biz if it doesn't work. Business isn't supposed to be fair. That's why it's business.

If bread goes to 30.00 a loaf becuase of freight costs it is my CHOICE to buy bread.

Quick Reply: Trucker Strike tonight !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.