Notices

6.0 powerstroke

Old 05-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally run my Edge on 1 or 2, it's never been on 4 or 5.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

no wastegate slick, i'm not sure how they control boost though.* i am running diablosport predator with kn intake and 5" exhaust=21 mpg highway
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wodster69
It could be worse yours could look like this.
06 F250 Harley 36000 miles getting head gaskets!

David
WOW my truck just got dropped off this morning for the head studs and head gasket, going with ARP studs tho hopefully it holds up I tend to leave the edge on level 5 all the time.. its just hard to resist. Luckily this fourth suncoast transmission is holding up pretty good cuz the last few didnt. Now my drive shafts front hubs and rear ring and pinion.. those are another disaster speacially with 40" tires.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bagger
What are guys doing with your trucks ?
I've had 2 F250s with 6.o put over 100k on them with no trouble .
And I don't baby the trucks . Just Lucky ?

Paul

Same here, one almost has 175k..The problem is when a wrong tuner goes in..meaning some just raise boost to get power which causes premature head gasket failure. The only programmer for these Ford's is SCT..A custom tuned SCT from say a vendor like www.innovativediesel.com works..by doing multiple things to get the power there safely through out the rpm band and then works with the tranny pressure making it shift at the proper times...trust me I've tried almost all of them. The other problem is when these tuners go in..it's very hard to control your right foot..The main reason for a tuner/programmer is to help aid in towing loads..get better mpg..NOT RACE..a heavy truck like this is not a race car..and when continually pushed or 3/4 throttled is when problems start to occur. Jeff
Old 05-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 454captiva
no wastegate slick, i'm not sure how they control boost though.* i am running diablosport predator with kn intake and 5" exhaust=21 mpg highway

That just sux, but on the other hand, it answers my question, the boost is controled electronically, so Fords reflash is where my future son-in-laws boost went,,,,,dealership told him that the reflash would make it run better, but how can leaning a motor out and cutting back boost make a diesel run better,,,,answer,,,,dealer's service advisor,,,,,LIED.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Slick02
That just sux, but on the other hand, it answers my question, the boost is controled electronically, so Fords reflash is where my future son-in-laws boost went,,,,,dealership told him that the reflash would make it run better, but how can leaning a motor out and cutting back boost make a diesel run better,,,,answer,,,,dealer's service advisor,,,,,LIED.
Go SCT with a good custom tune from Innovative, add intake/exhaust as well, noticeably better mileage, great sound and smooth engine running with tons of power. Ford flashes suck, even on gas engines, moron engineers they have working for them. Plus witha good safe tune, tank, exhaust, unloaded/loaded will make a stock 6.0 seem like a gas 6 banger in comparison.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 6.0 controls boost via a variable-vane turbocharger. It uses the computer to monitor and control. Additionally, the computer controls fuel flow. Boost and fuel are the two ways a diesel makes power. Diesels don't really have a "lean" condition as airflow is never limited, only the amount of fuel injected.

The 6.0 was Ford's answer to bringing the emissions of the 7.3 down while being competitive with power output. They essentially did at the factory with the 6.0 what the backyard guys were doing with the 7.3. The thing is, the engine and driveline just aren't engineered to do much more than out-of-the-box performance. Push them and they'll break.

Not long ago, I towed a Cig 35 with a stock 6.0 from Fl to OH. I had no trouble or lack of performance- and it's up-hill most of the way. I didn;'t charge up the backsides of the mountains at 80 but I didn't feel that would be prudent, even if capable.

If you want high performance, prepare to empty your wallet.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
The 6.0 controls boost via a variable-vane turbocharger. It uses the computer to monitor and control. Additionally, the computer controls fuel flow. Boost and fuel are the two ways a diesel makes power. Diesels don't really have a "lean" condition as airflow is never limited, only the amount of fuel injected.

The 6.0 was Ford's answer to bringing the emissions of the 7.3 down while being competitive with power output. They essentially did at the factory with the 6.0 what the backyard guys were doing with the 7.3. The thing is, the engine and driveline just aren't engineered to do much more than out-of-the-box performance. Push them and they'll break.

Not long ago, I towed a Cig 35 with a stock 6.0 from Fl to OH. I had no trouble or lack of performance- and it's up-hill most of the way. I didn;'t charge up the backsides of the mountains at 80 but I didn't feel that would be prudent, even if capable.

If you want high performance, prepare to empty your wallet.

I notice you said stock...I did the same this year on all my trucks..stock..no nothing..it gets the job done, just not real fast.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Registered

What kills me is that my future son-in-laws 05 Excursion, his dads 05 Excursion and my 06 F350 swb dually are all set up identically, turbo back systems, airaid airboxes and Edge tuners, and 35" tall tires, no reflashes on his dads or mine,,, at say 70 mph his truck has 7 pounds of boost on a flat road with no towing, his dads or mine are pulling in the 12 to 14 pound range at that speed,,and his did until fords reflash, and now the tuner has been set all over the place and we can't get the power back up on his, tried the tuner from my truck on his and his on mine, didn't hurt mine, didn't help his.