Notices

Programmers and Warranty

Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was in for a egr valve and while it was in they updated the computer with the new flash which instantly made the truck run god awful and no power and alot of smoke when they could not get the program to run correctly they called ford and had a 6.0 tech from Detroit come down to look at it, they got it better but not right and is about to go in again for hopefully the final time, the tech had 2 days with the computer and truck and nothing was ever said, so all i am saying is I'm not trying get one over the dealer or Ford as i am not attempting to run the hell out of the truck, but when a new update for the computer causes such a f'n mess with a vehicle that was running great, I WILL take it in under warranty
Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwdill
it was in for a egr valve and while it was in they updated the computer with the new flash which instantly made the truck run god awful and no power and alot of smoke when they could not get the program to run correctly they called ford and had a 6.0 tech from Detroit come down to look at it, they got it better but not right and is about to go in again for hopefully the final time, the tech had 2 days with the computer and truck and nothing was ever said, so all i am saying is I'm not trying get one over the dealer or Ford as i am not attempting to run the hell out of the truck, but when a new update for the computer causes such a f'n mess with a vehicle that was running great, I WILL take it in under warranty
Your EGR problem could very well have been caused by the tuner, the excess soot that is produced by over fueling the engine, which is what is going on when they blows a huge cloud of black smoke, is a very common cause of plugged EGR valves. This is just one of the MANY issues caused by these things that people don't seem to understand. It isn't just a popped motor that these things can lead to. It strains the hell out of the rest of the drive train too. The Allison behind the Duramax is only rated for a little more power then the engine makes in factory form, as soon as you add virtually any of the tuners to them you are exceeding the transmission's rating. It is a great trans and all but over time this will take it's toll on it. You don't have to be pushing the truck to it's limits with a tuner to damage things that would not have been damaged without it. As far as the reflash issue, they should cover that and it sounds like they are. I obviously don't know the details of your EGR problem but they can be and are commonly caused by power programmers.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mwdill
the edge i have on my 6.0 psd never showed a footprint when it was at the dealer for updates and reflash
They don't have that ability with the 6.0L. Only on the newest ones, along with GM's newest Duramax.

I'd be more worried about the head gasket and head studs on that 6.0 if it's got a programmer on it.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
Your EGR problem could very well have been caused by the tuner, the excess soot that is produced by over fueling the engine, which is what is going on when they blows a huge cloud of black smoke, is a very common cause of plugged EGR valves. This is just one of the MANY issues caused by these things that people don't seem to understand. It isn't just a popped motor that these things can lead to. It strains the hell out of the rest of the drive train too. The Allison behind the Duramax is only rated for a little more power then the engine makes in factory form, as soon as you add virtually any of the tuners to them you are exceeding the transmission's rating. It is a great trans and all but over time this will take it's toll on it. You don't have to be pushing the truck to it's limits with a tuner to damage things that would not have been damaged without it. As far as the reflash issue, they should cover that and it sounds like they are. I obviously don't know the details of your EGR problem but they can be and are commonly caused by power programmers.
3rd egr, 2 without a tuner added, not worried about the tranny, not even going to have ford deal with it as all they do is put a reman tranny back in and i have seen those pos's, got a good friend that has a tranny shop and we have already planned in case it pukes, might as well do it right.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Speedpro1
Actually, the factory has the burden of proof and has to prove that the aftermarket product caused the failure. I am involved in a law suit as we speak with G.M.
My post directed the burden of proof on the customer due to an "enhancement" causing failure. The customer, that "chips" the vehicle, will still have to prove the enhancement did no damage.

Sam
Old 09-17-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EGR on a 6.0 is a no brainer. Unplug it. No CEL, no more sticking. If it's a late '03 or an '04, pull the butterfly valve from the intake too. Check on dieselstop.com if you need detailed instructions.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered

I'll say this, we have quite a few Powerstrokes in the fam, from the 6.0 to newer 6.4, all modded/tuned, and not a single problem. I know my uncles Harley 6.0 has over 100K miles with SCT tune, exhaust etc and still runs better then stock and that truck sees a ton of use with towing. The 6.4s stock sucked, surging, major lag, Ford flashes making it worse.

As long as its a good tune/tuned correctly I would not be worried....heck the trucks run better with tune, exhaust, dpf delete etc (more power, smoother, lower egts, better mpg). When it comes to the other makes I'm not sure as I only have one good friend that had a modded 5.9 Cummins and now the new 6.7 Cummins, when he first got the 6.7 it already had to go back in for an engine replacement after like 2-3 weeks (stock). And some other stuff was wrong so they were able to swap for new truck of which has been fine since then except for the mileage is **** compared to the 5.9

Last edited by Quicksilver; 09-17-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
Warranty law is written such that the manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim unless the issue is caused by the addition of the aftermarket part. The burden of proof is on them. You may have to sue them to get to that point, but ultimately the burden of proof is on them. If they can then show conclusively that the programmer caused whatever failure occurred, they can legally deny the warranty claim, not void the warranty.

Most dealership service personnel, and upper management will probably say screw you and you'll have to fight for some time, but in the end you may win.
you are not correct about the law. the law describes broad parameters for warrantee claims but does not address, nor could it legally address the specific published limitations ( and agreed to at time of purchase )to any warrantee as long as they don't violate ICC code.

ford says " these actions void your warrantee" you do them and they discover it one way or another and the law is no longer on your side.

and the other posters are correct. if you want to screw with your hardware at least be man enough and have enough integrity to not have to try to swindle someone when you or your aftermarket supplier screw up.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Registered

I wouldn't do it if you expect the warranty to be upheld. Sure, you may get lucky with a liberal service dept but why risk it. Just for the record, I had a DP Tuner installed in my F250 at 105K miles with gauges and exhaust. I now have 125K with about 3.5K miles towing a 11,500lb boat/trailer without a problem. I love the way the truck responds with the chip. Very quick on acceleration, similar to a gasoline engine. Of course I'm not burning rubber... except those rare occasions when I'm feeling froggy.

Quick Reply: Programmers and Warranty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.