Notices

Thank you, DOT..

Old 10-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_H
isnt that the US1 Skater? What was the outcome?
Don't know. I'm sure it was all by the book. They guy who owns the boat is a stand up guy. I'm sure if there was a citation involved it was just because of an oversight.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
So is there a way to "license" higher than the posted CGVWR on the door?
I guess it depends on your state, but a good example is that a typical pickup truck in a typical state without buying extra or additional weight is licensed for 8,000 pounds. If they want to, they can weigh you and fine you if you are grossing more than 8,000. Case in point was a friend who was pulling a single axle trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup with 2 motorcycles coming from WV to SC for bike week. When entering NC, he was stopped, weighed and fined for being over 8000 pounds. I typically license 1 ton dual wheel trucks for 25,000 pounds, which allows you to pull a loaded trailer and the combined unit can gross 25,000 pounds. In my state it costs about a hundred or so dollars extra per year.

If you are commercial vehicle over 26,000 gross and travelling out of your home state, you are supposed to have apportioned license for any state that you might run in, regardless of whether you are hauling for hire or not.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for someone with all the correct answers

In Oklahoma you can tag a Freightliner (I believe it is a M2 class) or a Ford F450 just like a small pickup truck (not as a commercial vehicle). I am sure that both of these trucks have a GVWR (truck and trailer) above 26,000 lbs. Please correct me if I am wrong on these ratings. Do you have to have a commercial vehicle driver's license in states other than Oklahoma to just drive this truck in other states? Do you have to have the CDL to pull a boat which puts you over 26,000 lbs combined? Do you have to have a CDL in Oklahoma? Do you have to stop at the weigh stations if you are pulling a recreational boat? Do you have to stop at the weigh stations if the truck is not pulling a trailer? If the truck meets the RV requirements and is tagged as an RV, does this change any of the answers? And the boat trailer does not have a tag in Oklahoma.

Last edited by E Dock DD; 10-07-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added trailer does have a tag.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered

I think the laws are so skewed & open to interpretation regarding DOT stuff from state to state you just do what you feel is the best following of the law.
Having a company truck I was told that I have to stop at weigh stations & run DOT numbers even though I use it for transportation of myself for company business.
It is not stickered with a company name or anything so it looks like a regular truck.
I also have to have DOT physicals but no commercial license.
I've been told that I have to tag my truck for the gross weight of the truck & trailer by one guy and then told otherwise by another.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything over 26,000 requires a CDL. Any truck licensed as commercial is required to stop at a weigh station. As Jason stated, the laws very so much from one state to the other, they can get ya for just about any infraction they can think of. An RV or private truck hauling a boat doesn't have to go through a weigh station, but they can still stop you if they please.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Registered

In Kansas & some other states you can have a "RV" with airbrakes & a regular old drivers license will do just fine.
I use a converted GMC bus all the time to haul friends around, not for hire, and it has airbrakes & is over 26k. I got stopped & flipped them my KS DL, got a talking to & sent on my way.
Note to self: Beer can pyramid in windshield of bus NOT a good idea!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
In Kansas & some other states you can have a "RV" with airbrakes & a regular old drivers license will do just fine.
I use a converted GMC bus all the time to haul friends around, not for hire, and it has airbrakes & is over 26k. I got stopped & flipped them my KS DL, got a talking to & sent on my way.
Note to self: Beer can pyramid in windshield of bus NOT a good idea!

Now that's funny!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered

The funny part is I helped make it. Or is that not so funny?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
The funny part is I helped make it. Or is that not so funny?
Naa...just blame it on the girl that was sit'n on your ah...lap...help'n drive.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab kv
Naa...just blame it on the girl that was sit'n on your ah...lap...help'n drive.
You were on the bus?!

Quick Reply: Thank you, DOT..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.