Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anybody elses aluminum trailer float? >

Anybody elses aluminum trailer float?

Notices

Anybody elses aluminum trailer float?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody elses aluminum trailer float?

this has been a pain in my but, depending on the tide and slope of the boat ramp my trailer will float, which is a big problem when there is a current. Its all aluminum exept dual axles and tongue . For some reason the starboard side rises first. Any ideas other than adding weight to the trailer frame? Is this normal?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've posted the fix before. You can find it with a search. Best fix is adding dumbbells to the trailer. It will only take 100 lbs or so to make it sink.

Also, your fenders could be trapping air as well when they go under. See if this is the case, and drill a hole in front of the forward axle, top-dead-center.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by My Addiction
this has been a pain in my but, depending on the tide and slope of the boat ramp my trailer will float, which is a big problem when there is a current. Its all aluminum except dual axles and tongue . For some reason the starboard side rises first. Any ideas other than adding weight to the trailer frame? Is this normal?

My Scarab trailer would do it,usually is would sink by standing by the winch, it was a Owens and SO alum I beam, it had alum wheels and wide 60's

thought about making a weight , pvc pipe fill with concrete and put incaps on it,I did a piece around 8inchx 4ft,about 3 1/5 bags quick Crete.I did this on my boat lift.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody elses aluminum trailer float?-tickfaw-5-2004-006.jpg  
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decided to not add weight, just put trailer as far as you can before the trailer starts to float. Float the boat up on the trailer with the lines and connect the winch strap (walk out on the trailer)...winch until taunt. Now back down most of the way and winch until the strap is taunt...them back all in and compete the loading as normal. On my 30' boat this doesn't add more than 3 mins to the loading process.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-syndrome.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-floating.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-trailers.html
Old 07-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Registered

Thanks