Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2011 Dodge/cummins or Chevy duramax >

2011 Dodge/cummins or Chevy duramax

Notices

2011 Dodge/cummins or Chevy duramax

Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eddie
GMC makes the Denali in 2500/3500 and with DRW now it will pull a 42 no problem. I still have the 47 and it man handles my current 2500.
I was thinking of the Denali SUV sorry my bad.

What do you tow the 47 with?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default CAT'S problem

He has never been the same since he confused urine with urea and his truck stopped running.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
I was thinking of the Denali SUV sorry my bad.

What do you tow the 47 with?
2008 - 2500 GMC extend cab duramax on 20's. It's my wife's truck.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eddie
2008 - 2500 GMC extend cab duramax on 20's. It's my wife's truck.
You know you're asking for trouble don't you?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Just read the Diesel Power Mag towing test between a '11 Ford F350 and a '11 Chevy 3500. Both were dualies and they each towed the same 18,900lb trailer up a mountain pass in Colorado. The Dodge couldn't even compete because it's not rated to tow that much. The Chevy totally dominated all aspects of towing and engine braking. It wasn't even close. They called the fuel economy a tie because the Chevy only won by .7 MPG.

I'm so glad I chose to buy a 2011 Chevy 2500HD!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
Just read the Diesel Power Mag towing test between a '11 Ford F350 and a '11 Chevy 3500. Both were dualies and they each towed the same 18,900lb trailer up a mountain pass in Colorado. The Dodge couldn't even compete because it's not rated to tow that much. The Chevy totally dominated all aspects of towing and engine braking. It wasn't even close. They called the fuel economy a tie because the Chevy only won by .7 MPG.

I have both 11's..F250, 350, and the 2500 GMC. The 3/4 tons are right at 55k and the 1-ton is at 61k. All 3 loaded with close to same gear ratio's, 20's, and equipment. Im at sea level..and I am a GM man, still have more GM's in the yard than Fords.. That test is not correct....unless the turbo that is on the Duramax performs better than the Powerstroke's at that altitude. The two trailers that we have loaded for both crews is about 10500-11k, and when towing with the two stock 3/4 tons the Ford slightly out edges th GMC by 1/2 a truck...and its the opposite way when not towing, but the edge is about a truck length to the GMC at about 20mph to 70. The GMC in my eyes looks better, does have better brakes and a better jake brake. The Ford drives better, has a way nicer interior, pulls the load with better more stability..and feels more like a truck especially when getting muddy, more pumkin clearance. There is not a bad choice...I like them both..but when I got the third truck I opted for the 350 Ford. The only thing I can think of was that the Ford was going into it's clean out cycle, which it does every 175-200 miles vs the GMC does it every 200-250 miles...and possibly that was the cause for the diffenciencies.. Dont get me wrong, Im not making excuses cause I think the Ford got slaughtered..but with slightly more hp/tq at 350 pounds heavier should be closer..something was wrong or the turbo is more effecient at higher altitudes on the GM..and thats why both tests were conducted at that altitude level..GM figured it out.. 2012 is suppose to be Rams big year. We will see if I can add one of these to the stable...
Again good luck with your purchace. Jeff
Old 01-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
I have both 11's..F250, 350, and the 2500 GMC. The 3/4 tons are right at 55k and the 1-ton is at 61k. All 3 loaded with close to same gear ratio's, 20's, and equipment. Im at sea level..and I am a GM man, still have more GM's in the yard than Fords.. That test is not correct....unless the turbo that is on the Duramax performs better than the Powerstroke's at that altitude. The two trailers that we have loaded for both crews is about 10500-11k, and when towing with the two stock 3/4 tons the Ford slightly out edges th GMC by 1/2 a truck...and its the opposite way when not towing, but the edge is about a truck length to the GMC at about 20mph to 70. The GMC in my eyes looks better, does have better brakes and a better jake brake. The Ford drives better, has a way nicer interior, pulls the load with better more stability..and feels more like a truck especially when getting muddy, more pumkin clearance. There is not a bad choice...I like them both..but when I got the third truck I opted for the 350 Ford. The only thing I can think of was that the Ford was going into it's clean out cycle, which it does every 175-200 miles vs the GMC does it every 200-250 miles...and possibly that was the cause for the diffenciencies.. Dont get me wrong, Im not making excuses cause I think the Ford got slaughtered..but with slightly more hp/tq at 350 pounds heavier should be closer..something was wrong or the turbo is more effecient at higher altitudes on the GM..and thats why both tests were conducted at that altitude level..GM figured it out.. 2012 is suppose to be Rams big year. We will see if I can add one of these to the stable...
Again good luck with your purchace. Jeff
The D-max beats the Ford at any elevation, from the mouth of a D-max engineer I'm friends with (they have tested both extensively). There's way more to towing than a peak power number. It's at an elevation because that is where the long, steep grades are!

GM has challenged Ford to many different stunts......because they have tested the trucks and know the GM wins. You're experience w/ one pulling a bit faster sounds like a seat of the pants judgment, or did you line them up on the quarter w/ a trailer? You also stated the Ford rides better, no other comparison I've seen agrees with you. I do agree with you though, either truck will suit someone very well.

But if we want to really find a tilted comparo due to altitude, look at the Taurus SHO deal Ford ran, bringing a bunch of NA competition into the mountains to run against the turbo. I don't figure they were towing up the grades so there was a definite reason to be there, for Ford.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy

The Ram may not be RATED to tow 18,900, but it WILL tow that much and more. I know guys who regularly tow over 20,000lbs with 3500 Rams with larger front brakes and an exhaust brake.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
The D-max beats the Ford at any elevation, from the mouth of a D-max engineer I'm friends with (they have tested both extensively). There's way more to towing than a peak power number. It's at an elevation because that is where the long, steep grades are!

GM has challenged Ford to many different stunts......because they have tested the trucks and know the GM wins. You're experience w/ one pulling a bit faster sounds like a seat of the pants judgment, or did you line them up on the quarter w/ a trailer? You also stated the Ford rides better, no other comparison I've seen agrees with you. I do agree with you though, either truck will suit someone very well.

But if we want to really find a tilted comparo due to altitude, look at the Taurus SHO deal Ford ran, bringing a bunch of NA competition into the mountains to run against the turbo. I don't figure they were towing up the grades so there was a definite reason to be there, for Ford.
We have weighed are 3 trucks, and there is a 348 pound difference between the 3/4 tons. The power and torque is close at all rpms, even though the advertised hp/tq is less on the GM, its still lighter, and feels its about 90-95% of the Ford when it comes to substantial mass. The pro's are its easier to get in to, and feels a little more athletic. Line the two trucks right next to each other and you will see what Im talking about...I like both trucks, and am not brand loyal. A truck to us is not meant to be a drag car..but we do have fun from time to time. Yes we have put them side by side, (not seat of the pants) from like 20 to 70 mph towing..We never do it off the line cause the tires just spin and we are not into ruining our equipment. The Ford is quicker the majority of the time...TOWING....its really a matter of who's truck downshifts into second quicker and gets the jump...but we are only talking about a 1/2 truck length. When not towing the GM is quicker. As to the ride, I was not clear, the ride when towing is better on the Ford, and so is the control of the weight be shifted less. Brakes, and jake brake as well as looks go to the GM. Ford wins in better materials, comfort and conviences in the interior. As to the engineer stating what he stated....none of the tests are done at sea level...that leaves me to believe that the GM's turbo is more effecient...this has also been mentioned on the diesel boards. Again I buy what works for towing..Both these trucks are so close and its nice to get to drive both and experience what Im talking about...the F250 has allready 49k the 2500 GMC has 12k and the F350 has 14k. Im waiting to see what the Ram has in store for 2012..Jeff
Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
We have weighed are 3 trucks, and there is a 348 pound difference between the 3/4 tons. The power and torque is close at all rpms, even though the advertised hp/tq is less on the GM, its still lighter, and feels its about 90-95% of the Ford when it comes to substantial mass. The pro's are its easier to get in to, and feels a little more athletic. Line the two trucks right next to each other and you will see what Im talking about...I like both trucks, and am not brand loyal. A truck to us is not meant to be a drag car..but we do have fun from time to time. Yes we have put them side by side, (not seat of the pants) from like 20 to 70 mph towing..We never do it off the line cause the tires just spin and we are not into ruining our equipment. The Ford is quicker the majority of the time...TOWING....its really a matter of who's truck downshifts into second quicker and gets the jump...but we are only talking about a 1/2 truck length. When not towing the GM is quicker. As to the ride, I was not clear, the ride when towing is better on the Ford, and so is the control of the weight be shifted less. Brakes, and jake brake as well as looks go to the GM. Ford wins in better materials, comfort and conviences in the interior. As to the engineer stating what he stated....none of the tests are done at sea level...that leaves me to believe that the GM's turbo is more effecient...this has also been mentioned on the diesel boards. Again I buy what works for towing..Both these trucks are so close and its nice to get to drive both and experience what Im talking about...the F250 has allready 49k the 2500 GMC has 12k and the F350 has 14k. Im waiting to see what the Ram has in store for 2012..Jeff
Thanks for the explanation. I think your insight on all the different trucks you get experience with is great for the board!

In the tow "races" I think the transmission definitely comes into play as well and how it's calibrated, along with the weight of the load. I believe in the original pickuptrucks.com tow test the GM won, but with a different load and the old Ford tune.

I'm glad the new GM frame is updated and much stronger without gaining quite as much weight as the Ford's. Those things are heavy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.