Notices

New electric brakes

Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
i havent. i just make sure not to put trailer in water right away after a long haul.
Yep so do I but thats pretty much for the bearings,
I was wondering if you need to unplug the connector because of the electric brakes.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
Ok, after going out and looking at several of the sites above, are all electric brake setups drum? I currently have surge disc brakes and really don't want to step back to drum. With three axles to redo, changing everything is going to get pricey, especially if changing the rotors. As you can tell, I don't know alot about trailer brakes.
I was advised against disc brakes. Not sure why.

I plan to unplug right before it goes into the water but am looking forward to having brakes while backing down a steep ramp.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Im thinking the electric is the way to go. I've never had a set of surge brakes work as good and I like being able to adjust it with the controller
Old 05-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
Are the brake solenoids made for water immersion? I always thought that the reason surge brakes were used on boat trailers is because the electric solenoids were not meant to be totally submerged. I too need to rebuild my trailer brakes, and electric would be MUCH better than surge (and cheaper than EOH). Any info is appreciated.
The best pure electric brakes I could find when researching what I wanted on my new triple axle were "Sharkskin" drums by Fulton. I have a lot of trailers (commercial construction) and I know that the drums just don't have the stopping capacity as disk or air brake drums. Some electric drums are not self adjusting either. I could not find a pure electric with disk. My new boat trailer has EOH on all three axles. It is the most fluid stopping rig i have had. The combo of the trailer and truck really feel as one. I'm not knocking the electric drums for an retrofit, because the hydraulics is about $600 for pump unit and $400 for the hydraulic lines/fittings on top of your cost for the disk. I will never accept surge brakes on a trailer again!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking at Dexter, they have some Nev-R-Adjust Electric Brakes:

•Eliminate brake adjustments. Brakes automatically adjust to deliver optimum performance and braking power
•Reduce stopping distances 50 percent more than other brakes
Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by baja pete
I am looking at Dexter, they have some Nev-R-Adjust Electric Brakes:

•Eliminate brake adjustments. Brakes automatically adjust to deliver optimum performance and braking power
•Reduce stopping distances 50 percent more than other brakes
I have used those on 2 trailers, I am very happy with them.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 37ft trailer built by Load Master out of Ohio (2 yrs old). I have electric brakes on all 3 axles. Not 100% sure, but i think they are drum. They work great. I do NOT unplug my electrical connector. Loadmaster told me the solenod is sealed. Not sure of brand they put on. I do have to adjust the truck control to zero gain when unloaded or the brakes lock up with the slightest touch on the brake pedal. I love having brakes when backing down a steep slick ramp. Hope that helps.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, looks like going EOH is probably my best bet. With replacing all the rotors, the price of pure electric will be just as much if not slightly more than EOH. Just rebuilding my surge system is probably the cheapest, but I HATE that constant thumping of the actuator.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
I have used those on 2 trailers, I am very happy with them.
I just changed mine from surge to electric and the NEV-R-Adjust were only an extra $10 per wheel, figured that was a no brainer. If it ever quites raining here ill try them out.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Registered

with electric over hyd. you can weld the coupler solid . that is where the electric part come in , it has a electric pump to build hyd presure to aply the brakes when you hit the pedle . also the disc brakes are the best period ...

Last edited by tim brown; 05-05-2011 at 09:33 AM.