Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners >

tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners

Notices

tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners

Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Consumer Reports

If you want to find out which truck has better this and that, you need to pay the small fee, and go to consumer reports. All you will get here is brand loyalty banter and bickering. All trucks have good and bad, you just have to decide what bad points you want to live with day to day. Again consumer reports is the only unbiased info you will get. good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
If you want to find out which truck has better this and that, you need to pay the small fee, and go to consumer reports. All you will get here is brand loyalty banter and bickering. All trucks have good and bad, you just have to decide what bad points you want to live with day to day. Again consumer reports is the only unbiased info you will get. good luck with your purchase.
good point and Im done with the banter myself, and 4bus hope to see you on the water up here. Consumer reports is a good idea, but with any data one has to be skeptical on how the data is portrayed and what does it actually mean. Consumer reports is probably not just providing raw data and even they are being unbiased could still be presenting data in a way that throws it off.

What they say about stats and data, that 70% of it can be disproved.

Last edited by soldier4402; 06-21-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Like I posted in the other thread.

I've got a yukon Denali, which I believe has the same drivetrain as the Sierra Denali. Plenty of power! I just upgraded my brakes too, and that really helped. Mine has 84k miles and no issues.

The 6.2 Silverados and Non Denali Sierras are what I've been eyeing. Drove a Silverado a little over a week ago, and it too has plenty of power.

One question I have...Is the tranny the same in the 6.2 Silverado and 6.2 Denali's?

I know the Silverado/Sierra 6.2's are rated for 10700 where the Denali's are 9000 ish.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ziemer
Like I posted in the other thread.

I've got a yukon Denali, which I believe has the same drivetrain as the Sierra Denali. Plenty of power! I just upgraded my brakes too, and that really helped. Mine has 84k miles and no issues.

The 6.2 Silverados and Non Denali Sierras are what I've been eyeing. Drove a Silverado a little over a week ago, and it too has plenty of power.

One question I have...Is the tranny the same in the 6.2 Silverado and 6.2 Denali's?

I know the Silverado/Sierra 6.2's are rated for 10700 where the Denali's are 9000 ish.
I would imagine they are same, I would guess all the chevy trucks maybe minus the small engine have the same tranny, wouldnt make much sense from a business or supply stand point to have multipe trannys
Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
And by double wide you mean low quality stuff, sub standard parts that break easy......The big three are making the "double wides". I hear the windows are the worst part of a double wide, GM can't figure out how to keep the windows working in their trucks. Don't worry though, every parts store has the regulator, and a rivet gun you can rent to replace it. You think advance auto parts has a window motor for any toyota?? nope, I guess you are right...GM is better for the economy, in the form of aftermarket parts....BTW, those parts are made in china lol

You guys can knock the looks of my truck if it doesn't suit you, design, interior layout.....I'll give you that it's a matter of opinion. But for you to make a statement that a GM anything is higher quality is just laughable! You are simply blinded by your inbred biased loyalty. I broke that mold, and am proud to say I did.

Another interesting article from a trusted source

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43562127/The_...ars_and_Trucks

You keep defending GM, we have listed the known failures and your repsonse is there are more trucks on the road.....garbage.

If you have access to Mitchel or Shop key look up these-

TSB= tech service bulletin, a bulletin on a known problem and how to fix it. If found after warranty will not be covered

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 283 TSB's
2007 Toyota Tundra - 32 TSB's

Disgusting if you ask me. Enjoy your "american made" truck, I'll enjoy mine.
Even though your right its not worth it to argue. You can tell by the ignorant use of derogatory names by people you aren't going to win. The original poster asked about real world experiences and we gave them. Enough said.

Originally Posted by hullofjustis
I have been a Toyota and Lexus tech for years but have worked on everything. The years that I have been in the business I have never had to put an engine or transmission in any tundra and a handful of times on the other models but that was due to customer neglect. Except the old 4runner 3.0 recall that Toyota covered no matter mileage. I have had a my tundra with 170000 miles and have only had to do maintenance. I am just waiting for them to bring a diesel to the u.s well other then the yanmar diesels used in boats. For the Japan vs USA argument the tundra is built in the united states as well as the engines along with most of there other model lines.
You shouldn't hesitate to buy a tundra
I'd like to see a diesel also. A fully boxed frame front to back would be nice too.

Originally Posted by ckcgobigblue
Well I didn't want this to turn into American vs Japan but should of known it would happen... I really like hearing personal experiences with these vehicles not opinions so I'm glad to hear you Toyota guys having good ones with your trucks, what about you Denali guys? I think I'm gonna go drive one today and was just wondering if you've had any issues or problems with your trucks? I know it will tow my boat from hearing what some of you tow with yours and I know the inside of the truck is very nice cause it's loaded so I really think I will love the truck when I drive it. Thanks
I'd advise to stay away from 2007 5.7L 4wd Tundras in your search. The front differentials weren't strong enough for the new 5.7L engine that year. From 2008 and up, the problem was fixed and no worries. Buy a double cab or crewmax 4x4 in silver and I'd be interested in it if you aren't happy with it.

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 06-22-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I used to have my own car repair business in the late 70's and the one thing I learned is every car company has their weak points. You have to know what they are and stay away from them or work around them. I have an 03 Suburban that is my work truck and daily driver and I drive it like I stole it according to my daughter. I hit 6000 rpm almost every time I take off, I've been known to drift it around freeway ramps and round abouts. I've dragged 2,000 pound boulders through sand and I regularly bury it in heavy snow up to my waist and I'm 6'3". I have almost 240,000 miles and yes I've had to replace the transmission, the fuel pump, Catalytic convertors, tie-rods, and idler arms. The motor still only uses 1qt per 10,000 miles between oil changes. But you look at my truck and except for the stone chips in the hood it looks new, runs better than new (I've tweaked a few things), and has zero rattles or odd noises. I still get 15mpg on the highway with 32" tall oversize tires a small lift and going 80 and mileage doesn't change that much towing my 6000lb boat going 75. The way I look at it, it has exceeded my expectations given the circumstances it has to operate under. If someone could prove to me that another vehicle can take this punishment and last this long and cost me this little to maintain, I'd consider that a good vehicle.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChargeIt

9400# is there because of the 3.42 axle (same for Denali and SLT/LTZ). Step up to the 3.73 offered only on the non-Denali because the AWD is 3.42 axle specfic; towing increases to 10,400#

Check the actual hitch rating. Mfg are notorious for giving only the higher WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING value. Boat trailers are non-WD due to surge brakes and use a lower value. (there is one company that has a compatable surge-WD system but it is not cost/time effective vs buying a better hitch) An aftermarket hitch may be necessary to obtain higher hitch ratings. (due to mfg using cheap/light steel hitch, GM did step up a little starting in 2011 on their HD hitch ratings but I dont know if they did on the 1500 too?)
Originally Posted by ziemer

One question I have...Is the tranny the same in the 6.2 Silverado and 6.2 Denali's? NO Sierra/Silverado 4wd, Denali AWD.
I know the Silverado/Sierra 6.2's are rated for 10700 where the Denali's are 9000 ish. 3.73 option vs 3.42 restricted
Answered in my eariler post........

Visited the lot out of curiosity on my hitch question the other day.
In cheap GM fashion, they still rate ALL 1500 series hiches at 5,000# towing/600# tongue for non-weight distributing trailers.
Gotta man up with an aftermarket hitch from Curt, Reese, etc.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 06-22-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Registered

BTW, JD Power's 2012 study of long term reliability, 2009 model year vehicles -

Large Pickup -
Toyota Tundra
GMC Sierra HD
Chevrolet Silverado LD

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/stu...lts.htm?page=1

Like I said, all will tow the load mentioned with great satisfaction, OP just needs to sort out other details.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Registered

Could you imagine another country's people coming out and rooting for the foreign companies rather than the home team......the Japanese are laughing at us all the way to the bank.

But I guess when you know you're buying a substandard truck as payback for the crappy mid-90's domestic you had you have to rationalize how much better it is although none of it is reality.

I mean, I can certainly see how bringing up a Cobalt that isn't in production is relevant to a 2012 truck. If you really want to understand, go drive a Cruze and a Corolla, the Corolla is such a POS only the blindest Toyota nutswinger would buy it. I believe that is a quote from a review of it.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
I'm not sure that's true for a few reasons.

1. CR does not verify people filling out their survey's even own a vehicle, not alone what they claim.
2. Only CR subscribers take the survey, not a random sample.
ie they tell you domestics are bad and you report back they are
3. They don't disclose their methodology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.