Notices

Tandem or Triple?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Would it be fair to assume that a triple with brakes on all axles would be better from a safety standpoint also?? there many +s and few -s as I see it. My 2 cents
Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I agree with Eric on the triple comments. I've completely lost a wheel on my last triple axle trailer; and had no idea until I was backing into the driveway. When the same thing happened to me on a tandem, I felt/knew it immediately. When I lost the one of the triple, it was a rear axle. When I lost the one on the tandem, it was a front axle, and immediately I had more tongue weight. The front end of my truck lifted, and I had lost some steering control/response.

That said, I've seen 35SS Sonics (33.5' boat) and 33' ATs on tandem axle trailers with 8 lug axles. Now, both of these instances were Myco aluminum trailers. No one builds a trailer as straight as Myco, period. Manning is right behind them. We also put a 33' AT on a tandem Manning as well for a customer.

2 Questions before you pull the trigger:

Do you plan to own the boat forever?
Do you ever plan on a road trip to Florida or salt?

If the answer to the first one is no, buy an aluminum trailer. You immediately multiply your resale market buyer with an Aluminum trailer.

If the answer to the second one is yes, buy an aluminum trailer; for obvious reasons.

Steel trailers are nominally stronger than welded aluminum C-channel trailers; especially for boats under 50'. There have many threads on this topic.
I have no idea how much longer I'll own this boat, but probably 3 to 5 more years. It will not see salt with me. The Great Lakes are big enough! I did consider aluminum, but would like the rigidity and look of painted steel.

I originally planned on Manning because of their reputation. However, I did not get a good feeling trying to deal with them. They had an attitude like they were doing me a favor, didn't really answer my questions, and quoted me a price substantially higher than another OSO member paid for the same trailer earlier this year.

You guys got me thinking about sticking with triples, though.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

I love all my previous and current trailers that are Triple axle. But your boat will work fine with Double axle IF you go with larger axles, at least 7000lb or super 7s. You will also want to make sure you have heavy duty tires. To often I see tires not even rated for what the axles are rated for.

Triples just look better and tow better.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats more common, a triple tossing a wheel because it's ben stressed too many times from those tight turns, or a tandem possibly ending up in the ditch when it looses a wheel?

Had same questions when I went to order mine. Decided the tandem with HD axles and wheels was the better choice for me and haven't looked back. It's not like we are discussing single axle trailers where a blow out is more likely to cause your butt cheeks to pucker.
Tight turns and maneuvering are unavoidable. Poor trailer maintenance is.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

I went with a tandem with 5500lb axles. Straight elect brakes all fresh water. I have a tight turn getting in/out of my driveway, love it, stops and tows amazing.
Many 35 Fountains came from the factory with tandems.
Attached Thumbnails Tandem or Triple?-fenelon-falls-004-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 11-02-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Just an FYI, you can finish and paint and aluminum trailer just the same as steel. Myco has some great looking setups and you wouldn't know unless someone told you or you had a magnet in your pocket.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
I went with a tandem with 5500lb axles. Straight elect brakes all fresh water. I have a tight turn getting in/out of my driveway, love it, stops and tows amazing.
Many 35 Fountains came from the factory with tandems.
Great looking shop btw
Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I've read all the above, and have one question. Does it make a difference between a dual spring axle vs. dual torsion axle. Same again with triples. I have read the weight distribution is different between spring and torsion. Thoughts?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had both and prefer torsion; I had a leaf spring break under tow at 60 mph one time and things got really interesting for a few seconds. The whole axle cut loose on one side and ended up under the outdrive. I think torsion ride smoother as well, but my torsion axles are on a Myco and and the leaf springs were under a lesser brand, so it's probably not entirely due to the tosion. Myco rocks.

And my $0.02 to the OP - as trigger said above my 35' Fountain is tandem axle and pulls just fine. They're 7,000 lb Dexter torsion axles though. Triple axles are just more parts to fail IMHO.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 27 was on an Eagle tandem with torsion
The 32 is on an eagle with springs

The torsions are QUIET, but the weight is constantly shifting between axles, such as the crest at the ramp.
I would lift a wheel off the ground just going over a curb. That puts the full weight of that side on the 1 remaining wheel. Trailer levelness effects weigh distribution between axles.

My spring trailer is noisier. This is when unloaded though to be fair.
Tongue height (trailer levelness) and uneven pavements do not effect weigh distribution. Both axles are always equally sharing the load. I prefer my spring trailer myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.